UPL signed to 2 year extension

LGR4GM

• LGR4GM changed the title to UPL signed to 2 year extension

I'm happy that UPL signed for 2 years.  This is his chance to make the NHL without any major blocks in front of him.  I expect and hope that he'll start the season in Rochester but I hope that he plays well enough that we'll agree that he deserves the chance to play with the Sabres (not just a default because of injury to Comrie or Anderson).

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Digger said:

I'm happy that UPL signed for 2 years.  This is his chance to make the NHL without any major blocks in front of him.  I expect and hope that he'll start the season in Rochester but I hope that he plays well enough that we'll agree that he deserves the chance to play with the Sabres (not just a default because of injury to Comrie or Anderson).

I’m intrigued in seeing where his game is at camp.

Last year, they  were hoping he’d take the job and ended up with the worst camp of the four.

This year, it feels like they’ve already got him ticketed to Rochester.

I wonder if he can change some minds.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Digger said:

The bar has been set for him right there in plain sight. If he does not established himself as at least the solid backup tender for the Sabres by the time this contract expires, his time with the Sabres and maybe the NHL will likely have come to an end. Hope for good results from UPL, but have no idea if he has it in him or not.

• Agree 1

From what I have seen and read, UPL has played well when given a chance to play in the NHL, but his problem has been staying healthy.  Oddly, he hasn't performed as well at the AHL level.  The Sabres have invested a lot in him with a draft pick and development time, and have some question marks in the goalie pipeline (none of Levi, Portillo, or the guy they drafted this year have signed with the team yet), so it makes complete sense to keep UPL around for another couple of years and see what he can do.

50 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

The Hockey Guy:  "I think he can become the goaltender that really is their starter as they get back to respectability and they hope a playoff spot as well."

Hope that’s true.  Never really know with goalies.  UPL definitely needs more time though.  I’m hoping the does well this season and next season gets a shot at being the full time backup in Buffalo.  I think that’s best case scenario.

39 minutes ago, Curt said:

Hope that’s true.  Never really know with goalies.  UPL definitely needs more time though.  I’m hoping the does well this season and next season gets a shot at being the full time backup in Buffalo.  I think that’s best case scenario.

Or Anderson gets some bumps and bruises and they bring up UPL to give Craig some time to get well.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Anderson getting injured at some point is a more than likely scenario. 

The Sabres have had to go 5-6 goalies deep in the last few years.

I am not sure about the numbers but it seems like other teams have had that many goalie injuries too.

Edited by French Collection

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

The Sabres have had to go 5-6 goalies deep in the last few years.

I am not sure about the numbers but it seems like other teams have had that many goalie injuries too.

At his age it's going to be much easier for him to pull a groin or wrench a knee or have more trouble recovering from a puck to the mask or other concussion type injury. Past injuries will also be weak spots. Unless Comrie can somehow carry a huge load, and play well enough in that role, goaltending will be the achilles heal again. 

I’m surprised that so many of you have given up on a G prospect that is still only 23.

UPL posted a 2.74/.917 in 9 NHL games last season, but people are high on a G that was 2.58/.920 in 19 games and is 27. Their numbers weren’t far off, and UPL is still learning. 

This from a fanbase that didn’t see Hasek and Miller break through until they were 28 and 26…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’m surprised that so many of you have given up on a G prospect that is still only 23.

UPL posted a 2.74/.917 in 9 NHL games last season, but people are high on a G that was 2.58/.920 in 19 games and is 27. Their numbers weren’t far off, and UPL is still learning. 

This from a fanbase that didn’t see Hasek and Miller break through until they were 28 and 26…

“ so many”?  As in 10 or 12 vocal people? 😂

5 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Bold: yeah, but Barasso came into the league on fire; Buffalo will accept nothing less now, lol.

I do think Hasek and Miller have poisoned the fan base a bit, if the Sabres get even decent play it still looks mediocre after seeing some elite seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.