Next Contracts: Cozens, Asplund, Samuelsson?

sweetlou

Seeing KA is not afraid to sign RFA's to extensions what do the contracts look like for these three?  Do they get extended before season, mid season, or next off season?

My personal opinion...

Cozens-  I go back and forth about bridge or term, and whether to do it this summer or wait.  In a perfect world you sign him for 2 years at $3.5 million and he continues to improve and then signs and 8 year extension at $6-6.5 million.  The other option would be 8 years now for $5-5.5 million AAV.

Asplund-  Would wait til next summer and then give him 4 years at $2million.

Samuelsson- Wait until next summer and a full year played and then give him 2 years at $2.5 million AAV.

We need to add Mitts to the conversation.  He and Cozens are the ones to watch this coming season.  KA has now set a precedent that a 35 goal 65 point breakout season is worth $50 mill over 7 years.  

Remember Mitts was the No1 center coming out of camp last year. In his last 81 games as a Sabre, Mitts has 16g 25a for 41 pts.  Is it really to hard to imagine that if he stays healthy he could put up 25g 35a.  Cozens looked like he is putting it all together at Worlds after putting 38 pts last year.  His year over year improvement was substantial, going from .3 pts/gp as a rookie to .48 as a sophomore.  Like Mitts, you feel the production blow up coming. 

So how does KA handle these two if they score 60 or more next season? Cozens is an RFA at year’s end and Mitts will have one year left on his bridge like TnT did.

• Like (+1) 2

The great thing about the Sabres having built a solid prospect pool is that each player is on the hook to perform.

I don't see any of these players having had the season that Thompson had that would demand a contract. Samuelsson will never demand a high dollar contract and is suited as a shutdown D.

Cozens has the most to gain, but he's also the youngest and so has more time.

Asplund is the one who needs to step up or I suspect he'll be traded. It won't be enough for him to just be good, he's going to have to be significantly better than the players coming behind him. He's 24, this is it for him if he wants something more than a 1 year deal.

I'd add Mitts is in the same boat at 23. He's going to have to demonstrate he's got more upside than he has so far or I see him being replaced as well.

Asplund and Samuelsson will never be the types of players to ink large contracts. 

I'm really hoping we see breakout years from Casey & Cozens this year, more so Casey as he seems to be following in the steps of Tage. I recall two seasons ago Tage had a great camp, was performing in Rochester and then got injured in the first period of the first game he was called up, effectively ending his season. 

Same narrative with Casey, great camp, ready to come out and then spent most of the season on the sidelines. Here's to hoping he lights it up this year as our 2C. We'll see growth from Cozens but he's a bit younger so I don't expect as much.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Seeing KA is not afraid to sign RFA's to extensions what do the contracts look like for these three?  Do they get extended before season, mid season, or next off season?

My personal opinion...

Cozens-  I go back and forth about bridge or term, and whether to do it this summer or wait.  In a perfect world you sign him for 2 years at $3.5 million and he continues to improve and then signs and 8 year extension at $6-6.5 million.  The other option would be 8 years now for $5-5.5 million AAV.

Asplund-  Would wait til next summer and then give him 4 years at $2million.

Samuelsson- Wait until next summer and a full year played and then give him 2 years at $2.5 million AAV.

I would hate to extend all these players when we don't even know who our true core players are yet besides Dahlin. 

I just want to see continued growth from these three.

Cozens has the most upside in my opinion, but I doubt he makes a huge jump this season. I’m thinking maybe 50 points. He and Asplund had important roles at the World Championship and they showed some offensive flair. I believe he gets a bridge deal next.

I think Asplund will be a 4th liner who can actually play up a line or two for stretches. I think he will improve offensively but becomes a defensive presence who gives other teams stars problems. I hope he can play centre as he could own that 4C spot for a while if he can. He is probably looking at 1 or 2 year deals for the next while.

Samuelsson will be a value player. He may get a long term deal but not big money due to a lack of scoring.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.