Sabres Sign Tage Thompson to a 7 year 50 Million Dollar Contract Extension

Brawndo

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

Stutzle has 87 points in his past 132 games. Thompson 82 in his past 116.

People have no problem imagining someone who jumped from 29 points to 58 points when they were 20 years old making another jump to 80.

When it happens at 24, different story.

“Big guys take longer” is a hockey cliche no one seems ready to buy into in this case.

Big or small there is not doubt that Thompson was not properly developed by Boterill.  Had a stayed a Blue he would have played more AHL games and then come up with a much better supporting cast.  But he would not be a center.  

Granato moving Tage to center may be the big factor in making him the player no one really thought he could be.  That may have never happened in St Louis.  

Lets see what Tage does in year 2 as a center.   I can see him improving all facets of his game and being a force for years to come.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Big or small there is not doubt that Thompson was not properly developed by Boterill.  Had a stayed a Blue he would have played more AHL games and then come up with a much better supporting cast.  But he would not be a center.  

Granato moving Tage to center may be the big factor in making him the player no one really thought he could be.  That may have never happened in St Louis.  

Lets see what Tage does in year 2 as a center.   I can see him improving all facets of his game and being a force for years to come.   

Before the trade, Thompson had already played a full season in the NHL for the Blues.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

Before the trade, Thompson had already played a full season in the NHL for the Blues.

It was a half-season mostly spent sitting on the bench as emergency injury fill-in. He hadn't made the team.

We'll never know, but playing in the minors in his 2nd year had he stayed in St. Louis was likely, IMO.

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It was a half-season mostly spent sitting on the bench as emergency injury fill-in. He hadn't made the team.

We'll never know, but playing in the minors in his 2nd year had he stayed in St. Louis was likely, IMO.

I actually thought it was more, but it was 41 games at 12 mins per game.

I don’t know if he would have played in the AHL or NHL the next season.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't know if this has been previously posted but it's a good read.

https://www.tsn.ca/travis-yost-assessing-the-risk-of-tage-thompson-s-extension-with-buffalo-sabres-1.1844752

Good read but I think it missed the mark. Maybe its the two Manhattan’s and a Bills win hangover clouding my reading comprehension?  

Thompson is the only player on the list that changed positions.  Additionally, the Sabres prior regime under Boterill was a disaster in both roster building and in player development.  Tage, along with several others, was mishandled from the start.  Using this data without understanding what drove the data is not a great idea.  

Finally, all contracts have risks.  I think Tage is going to have another very good season and this contract will look like a very nice deal.  One that enables us to keep building  from within. 

15 hours ago, Curt said:

Yeah, duda and I already discussed how I was wrongish, see 4 posts up.

Sorry I jumped the response.  

I very strongly feel that Bots screwed up on the development of both Thompson and Mitts.  He traded ROR and the vets he brought in were the wrong ones, causing TT and Mitts to be rushed and hurting their development.  

So, if Granato and Adams send Quinn and Peterka back to Rochester, I’m gonna trust they know what’s best. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

AHL Tage Thompson (age 20) 8/10/18 in 30 games

AHL Casey Mittelstadt (age 21) 9/16/25 in 36 games

AHL Peyton Krebs (age 20) 5/15/20 in 20 games

AHL JJ Peterka (age 19) 28/40/68 in 70 games

AHL Jack Quinn (age 20) 26/35/61 in 45 games

I know some people are a little gun shy on JJ and Jack, but they really are well ahead of Tage and Casey at the same age.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Let's check in on Tage

18pts in 14games

10g, 8a

With a 16.9sh%, again half of his shots were taken last year so while 16% might be high something around 13-14 is probably accurate. 

That's a pace of 59, 47a, 106 points in 82 games. 

I am begging you to stop doing this. Tage Thompson‘s shooting percentage has nothing to do with his contract. For the love of all that’s good and right please start a new topic that actually has something to do with what you want to post. There is absolutely no reason to bring up a topic about his contract to talk about his shooting percentage. And I’m pretty certain when you did this you ignored the big warning that said this is an old topic please don’t do this. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • dislike 2

• SDS locked this topic