Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #25 Owen Power

dudacek

What do you expect from Owen Power?   

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Power this year?

• 20ish points and a mild impact, like Hedman in his rookie year
    • 30ish points and praise for his all-round play, like Heiskanen in his rookie year
    • 30-40 points and solid 2-way play, like Ekblad in his rookie year
    • 40-50 points and some defensive issues like Dahlin in his rookie year
    • 50 or more points and a Calder Trophy, like Makar in his rookie year

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Rookie season Heiskanen had 33 points and was -14 in 82 games.

Maybe we have different definitions of remarkable.

Dahlin was a -13 ? So thats how you view a player? 

He was first time allstar with dahlin as a rookie 

Maybe this will bring back some flashbacks 

https://www.bardown.com/miro-heiskanen-had-a-spicy-response-when-asked-about-not-being-calder-finalist-1.1297554

36 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

https://www.bardown.com/miro-heiskanen-had-a-spicy-response-when-asked-about-not-being-calder-finalist-1.1297554

You’re confusing me. (Not for the first time.)

Why do you think 30 points is a huge mountain for Power to climb?

It’s not an everyday thing, but lots of U21 top 10 picks have done it.

Jamie Drysdale did it last year. Sergachev, McAvoy, Hanifan, Ekman-Larson, Eric Johnson, Lindholm, Ekblad, Myers, Dahlin, Fowler, Provorov, Werenski, Seider, Hughes…

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You’re confusing me. (Not for the first time.)

Why do you think 30 points is a huge mountain for Power to climb?

It’s not an everyday thing, but lots of U21 top 10 picks have done it.

Jamie Drysdale did it last year. Sergachev, McAvoy, Hanifan, Ekman-Larson, Eric Johnson, Lindholm, Ekblad, Myers, Dahlin, Fowler, Provorov, Werenski, Seider, Hughes…

Heiskanen as a whole not just  points he played like a vet every game .

I dont think you realize how good he was that year 

Anyways the point is i dont see him having a season like him.

He would have to have a rookie season close to Dahlin for that to happen 

Edited by Buffalonill

On 8/26/2022 at 11:17 AM, Taro T said:

The expectation is ~40 points.  Went w/ the higher of the 2 brackets including it.

But expect him to be "firmly in the conversation for the Calder" because in addition to scoring at a very good clip for a rookie, he is going to demonstrate an all around 200' game and will be on the ice w/ Dahlin in the final minute of games they need a goal.  He'll also eventually get a fair amount of PK time though perhaps not too much initially.  (Expecting him to start out as the 5th choice, but bump up to 4th.)

On 8/26/2022 at 4:36 PM, dudacek said:

I think the only role Power gets in the Calder conversation is when a random Sabre fan says “I can’t believe no one is talking about Power for the Calder.”

I don’t think he will be on enough highlight films, or produce enough points, especially early, to force himself into the national spotlight. Dahlin will make sure of that.

Unless he's putting up a lot of points in a flashy manner, someone else will win it. The NHL can't help itself but to weigh points/goals high, even for D.

On 8/26/2022 at 5:04 PM, Taro T said:

Telegenic Canadian kid chosen 1st overall 2 years ago who has been top 4 on tournament teams in the WJCs, WCs, & Olympics playing on an improving Eastern Conference team.  He'll be in the discussion & by the end of the year he'll be firmly in the discussion.

couldn't have said it any better & for our sakes I hope he is

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Neither Heiskanen or Dahlin were NHL all stars their rookie year.  They were on an all rookie team.

• Like (+1) 1

He is going to stink.  By mid-season his PT will be reduced to about 12 minutes a night and will be a frequent healthy scratch and he is outplayed by Bryson and Pilot.  If we get 15 points we’ll be lucky.  Just kidding.

I do think we need to temper our expectations a little.  He is a rookie and probably won’t see major PP time with Dahlin here.  He is also probably going to be asked to be more defensively aware than he needed to be with Michigan and there will be bad stretches like with nearly all rookies.  If he gives us what Herman did as a rookie and shows improvement through the season be happy.  

• Like (+1) 1

Fun piece from the Athletic where they collected the anonymous thoughts of the prospects at the recent NHL rookie showcase.

https://theathletic.com/3573015/2022/09/07/nhlpa-rookie-showcase-survey/

6 of the 13 prospects polled picked Power (who was there along with Quinn) for the Calder.

McTavish and Beniers each got 2 votes.

~45 Points and shows ability to jump into the play offensively. 

Good overall defensive play, surprisingly mature.

We will get a peak at his ability to use his size and reach.  Something that will be a huge asset in later years.  

In the Calder running.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

Power ranked number one on the Athletic’s list of Calder candidates.

https://theathletic.com/3546726/2022/09/08/nhl-calder-trophy-candidates-rankings/

Scott Wheeler says no other rookie can count on the minutes Power will get after averaging 22 in his debut and playing well.

“The Sabres outscored the opposition 9-8, out-chanced them 75-57, and outshot them 87-63 with Power on the ice at five-on-five, and he played to a team-high expected goals for percentage of 56.”

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2022 at 1:43 PM, DarthEbriate said:

Probably only about 30 points unless Dahlin is injured and Power has to take over PP1. But the page has been turned, the new age is upon us. 
I’m not saying the Sabres will be a positive goal differential team this season. You need good goaltending for that. But I am standing by my original prognostication: Uncle Owen Unlimited Power will be a career positive +/- for the Sabres and it continues and his buffer grows this season. 

I didn't think Power would take over PP2... (but, it's named for him, so... why wouldn't he?)... before the season even began. Maybe around December. So now I'm adjusting my expectations appropriately. He'll break 40 points. 

That's right. We'll have 2 40+ point defensemen this season. Last time we had that 2018. Rookie Dahlin had 44, Risto had 43. (And Risto was a -41 so it didn't really matter how many points he scored.) I stand by Power being a + this season. The previous time with two 40-point D before Dahlin was 2005-06 ECF run season with Campbell and Numminen.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Power is gonna surprise a lot of people it seems. He's good and Heiskanen makes a lot of sense. The issue will be Jokiharju and Power needing to cover his mistakes. 

Do you think Lybushkin would be a better fit?  I don’t like Joki in that spot either.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.