IIHF Women's World Championship 2022

Eleven

33 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Unlike the men's version, this contest is actually best-against-best.

US is playing Japan right now.

I think it is televised on NHLN and TSN, but since I don't receive either, I can't verify that.

I wish the NHL would get with the times and make an app you can subscribe too. I know there is an NHL app but I mean something that is actually useful with less blackouts and bs. The old farts who run the NHL are so behind the times it isn't funny. At least with ESPN in the mix ESPN+ has games but then the playoffs start and it is like... well geeze, everyone has the cable right? No one is buying the deluxe cable package with this stuff on it. 

That said, I have developed a love for women's hockey. It is perhaps slower than the men's game but that almost allows certain skills to shine a bit more. Also, I love following Hillary Knight 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Agree 1

IMHO Women's hockey is just brutal to watch...I watched a lot of the US team playing Canada a few times in the world championship and the olympics, etc and I was kinda shocked at how basic things like passing and puck control were so bad compared to what I watched in the NHL.  And that was the best of the best playing...couldn't imagine watching lesser teams.

Edited by matter2003

US 10, Japan 0.  Not too surprising.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

IMHO Women's hockey is just brutal to watch...I watched a lot of the US team playing Canada a few times in the world championship and the olympics, etc and I was kinda shocked at how basic things like passing and puck control were so bad compared to what I watched in the NHL.  And that was the best of the best playing...couldn't imagine watching lesser teams.

I had Beauts season tickets for a couple of years and didn't notice problems with passing and puck control.  Certainly it's slower and there's less hitting, though.

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

US 10, Japan 0.  Not too surprising.

I had Beauts season tickets for a couple of years and didn't notice problems with passing and puck control.  Certainly it's slower and there's less hitting, though.

I thought body checking was limited if not flat out illegal in the women's game.

Women's hockey is a true oddity since it is certainly less quick and far less physical than men's hockey but it still works unusually enough. It's akin to College hockey level play minus the hitting.

I just hope this doesn't go the way of the WNBA which is honestly an affront to sports in general due to it being marketed akin to a Major 4 when its nowhere near that. Women's hockey seems to understand its place better and markets accordingly.

3 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I thought body checking was limited if not flat out illegal in the women's game.

It's non-checking, not non-contact. So you won't get hip checks on the wall but you will most assuredly get lots of angling into the boards.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 8/25/2022 at 2:11 PM, thewookie1 said:

It's akin to College hockey level play minus the hitting.

My daughter plays hockey and I support women's hockey all the way. Just accept it for what it is (entertaining hockey)... but don't try to make comparisons to the men's game.

In real terms the Canadian or US women's teams are about on par with a good Midget (17-18 year old) team. In the Midget age group, the top players are already playing junior, so it's good but not great hockey.

Last year prior to the Olympics, the Canadian women played against some Jr A teams (1 level below CHL) and they got their butts handed to them. They knew going in they were going struggle, but they used it as a training opportunity. All this with the boys not being able to hit like they're used to.

An NCAA college men's team is well ahead of Jr A. They would beat the Canadian and US women's team by a minimum of 15-20 goals.

All that said, it doesn't matter. The world needs more girls playing hockey (and other sports) instead of worrying about going to the mall and how their makeup looks. Accept that the top women are the top women, and watch it for that. No one ever complains Serena Williams can't beat Nadal or Federer and she's as famous as any men's player.

• Like (+1) 4

Most of the Canada vs USA games have been great hockey.

The women are making inroads at coaching, scouting and management roles in the NHL. Even if they cannot compete directly with men physically, there is no restriction to having the skills to find talent, develop  motivate, train players and create strategies at the highest level.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/25/2022 at 2:11 PM, thewookie1 said:

Women's hockey is a true oddity since it is certainly less quick and far less physical than men's hockey but it still works unusually enough. It's akin to College hockey level play minus the hitting.

I just hope this doesn't go the way of the WNBA which is honestly an affront to sports in general due to it being marketed akin to a Major 4 when its nowhere near that. Women's hockey seems to understand its place better and markets accordingly.

Hockey is a sport that entertains at any level. Any great game is fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

How many tournaments must we watch the US be better than Canada only to lose in a final game?

Let's just have them play the gold medal game at the beginning, and the other teams can fight it out for bronze with a full tournament.

😘

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.