Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #20 Lawrence Pilut

dudacek

What do you expect from Lawrence Pilut?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Pilut this year?

• He will make the team outright, stick around all season and be an upgrade on Pysyk and Bryson
    • He will play about a half a season as the team's 7/8 defenceman
    • He will spend the majority of the year in Rochester except for a couple of fill-in appearances

• dudacek changed the title to Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #20 Lawrence Pilut
On 9/22/2022 at 12:11 PM, DarthEbriate said:

Pilut + Dahlin? Showcase!

Pilut plays 24+ min/game, unleashes a 10-35-45 in 70% o-zone starts, and then is traded for an unprotected 2023 1st at the deadline.

I really hope their primary goal in assembling our first pair isn’t to showcase someone. 

And if Pilut did those numbers, we shouldn’t trade him.

- - - 

Regardless, I think what we are starting to see is Dahlin’s ability to elevate his partner, regardless of who lines up next to him. He might even be more successful doing that while lined up on the right, for some reason. 

His transition to the right has been a revelation to me. Even as a long-time champion of Dahlin on this board, its been happily surprising (“My dear Rasmus. Dahlins really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you.”). Our MVP last season. Which we saw mentioned over the course of the year in GDTs quite often but that seems to have gone back to being quietly whispered, if mentioned at all. 

Pilut is a decent enough defenseman unless his game regressed playing in Europe. I’m not surprised he’s doing well so far.

His departure was due to a disagreement on a one-way vs two-way contract with the old regime and then a lack of communication that led to him leaving for the KHL. His agent told the Sabres he would leave for Europe if they didn’t send him a contract and the Sabres didn’t believe him. Just poor management.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.