Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #20 Lawrence Pilut

dudacek

What do you expect from Lawrence Pilut?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Pilut this year?

• He will make the team outright, stick around all season and be an upgrade on Pysyk and Bryson
    • He will play about a half a season as the team's 7/8 defenceman
    • He will spend the majority of the year in Rochester except for a couple of fill-in appearances

A 2-way contract offer may have sent Pilut packing to the KHL after the 2020 season, but it didn't prevent him from coming back two years later.

Larry spent a good portion of last season watching his production plummet while trying to get out of his Russian contract, but he bounced back nicely with 8 points in 15 playoff games for the delightfully named Chelyabinsk Traktor.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=170049

Once that contract hurdle was cleared, the Sabres immediately welcomed him back on a one-year deal that will walk him to unrestricted free agency next summer.

Now 26, Pilut has proven to be an topnotch point producer from the blueline when playing outside the NHL. Prior last season, he put up a 4-year run of 115 points in 186 games combined in the SHL, the AHL and the KHL. He also picked up a vocal collection of fans thanks to some impressive analytics while in North America.

What do you expect from Lawrence Pilut this year?

Edited by dudacek

Low expectations, here.  I've been nothing but optimistic or even shoot-for-the-moon so far, but not every guy will be an All-Star.  Pilut will be in Europe or Asia by fall 2023 or maybe 2024, and will not be a major contributor here this coming season.

Edited by Eleven

I wonder if the results indicate people weren’t as high on Pilut as I remembered, or people just think the overall quality of his competition is that much better.

Seems to me the only guy he could bump is Bryson and Bryson seems significantly better defending.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.