The Sabres did Offer Johan Larsson a Contract per Riley Sheahan

Brawndo

21 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I’m fairly positive the reference was Ruotsalainen. 

17 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Me too.

Artuu signed in the Swiss League on 7/22. 

Larsson returning to the SHL was reported by Elite Prospects on 8/10 at 10:15am and the Sabres announce the Sheahan Signing eight hours later at 6pm on 8/10. 

It was Larsson 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Artuu signed in the Swiss League on 7/22. 

Larsson returning to the SHL was reported by Elite Prospects on 8/10 at 10:15am and the Sabres announce the Sheahan Signing eight hours later at 6pm on 8/10. 

It was Larsson 

So they pivoted to another player in a matter of hours, and also decided to tell him that he was their second choice after the other player they would’ve rather had, decided to go to Europe? Sure  

I think it’s far more realistic that he was the depth player to replace Artuu’s spot on the organization  

• Like (+1) 1

Brian Duff said on the radio yesterday as an aside that he’s been told the door for Ruotsalainen is still open.

Then he moved on and never revisited.

Not sure if he meant there’s still an out for the Swiss contract, or if he was talking about the future, like Pilut, but I took it as the former. 

It was odd.

19 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

So they pivoted to another player in a matter of hours, and also decided to tell him that he was their second choice after the other player they would’ve rather had, decided to go to Europe? Sure  

I think it’s far more realistic that he was the depth player to replace Artuu’s spot on the organization  

Or maybe Sheahan’s Camp reached out to the Sabres earlier in Free Agency and they told them, We maybe interested but are working on a few other things first. One of these was an offer on the table for Larsson and they finalized Sheahan’s Deal in short order after Johan made His Decision. 

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Or maybe Sheahan’s Camp reached out to the Sabres earlier in Free Agency and they told them, We maybe interested but are working on a few other things first. One of these was an offer on the table for Larsson and they finalized Sheahan’s Deal in short order after Johan made His Decision. 

I simply find it hard to believe the Sabres communicated to Sheahan that they signed him because their preferred player in free agency opted to go back to Europe. There was an organizational hole that was created when Artuu signed in Europe, and Sheahan was the replacement. Lysowski is pretty in tune with the team and seemed to hint to expect a player on a two way contract after Artuu signed. 

Edited by Amerks8796

16 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I simply find it hard to believe the Sabres communicated to Sheahan that they signed him because their preferred player in free agency opted to go back to Europe. 

I highly doubt that that’s exactly how it went down. As you exactly described. They wouldn’t say that stuff to Sheehan. But I’m sure you know that.

21 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I simply find it hard to believe the Sabres communicated to Sheahan that they signed him because their preferred player in free agency opted to go back to Europe. There was an organizational hole that was created when Artuu signed in Europe, and Sheahan was the replacement. Lysowski is pretty in tune with the team and seemed to hint to expect a player on a two way contract after Artuu signed. 

I really trust Kevin when He puts info out there. 

So Larsson turned down an NHL contract to play in Europe instead?  I assume the contract offered would have been a 1 way deal rather than the 2-way deal signed by Sheahan.  Ruotsalainen's chances of playing for the Sabres would have been as an injury call up.

2 minutes ago, Digger said:

So Larsson turned down an NHL contract to play in Europe instead?  I assume the contract offered would have been a 1 way deal rather than the 2-way deal signed by Sheahan.  Ruotsalainen's chances of playing for the Sabres would have been as an injury call up.

A Family Situation supposedly played a role as well and the term and/or AAV being offered wasn’t enough to overcome this. 

34 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I simply find it hard to believe the Sabres communicated to Sheahan that they signed him because their preferred player in free agency opted to go back to Europe. There was an organizational hole that was created when Artuu signed in Europe, and Sheahan was the replacement.

I think you're right, except that as @Brawndo suggests, they simply told Sheahan that they would get to him and when Larsson signed in Europe Sheahan figured it out (wasn't explicitly told).  He's been around the league for a while, he understands how it works.  He wasn't their first choice but in the end he was their choice so it's all good.  Sheahan was hired to fill the hole left by Ruotsalainen, but not until the Sabres were sure he was the best player available for the slot.

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I assume the contract offered would have been a 1 way deal rather than the 2-way deal signed by Sheahan.

Maybe but.... why do you think that?

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I doubt that the Sabres told Sheahan that, but he definitely could have found out.  It’s basically part of a player agent’s job to be aware of the inner workings and goings on around the NHL. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

A Family Situation supposedly played a role as well and the term and/or AAV being offered wasn’t enough to overcome this. 

Thanks.  I could see that scenario.  He did sign a 3 year deal with SHL Brynäs so maybe that was the case.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think you're right, except that as @Brawndo suggests, they simply told Sheahan that they would get to him and when Larsson signed in Europe Sheahan figured it out (wasn't explicitly told).  He's been around the league for a while, he understands how it works.  He wasn't their first choice but in the end he was their choice so it's all good.  Sheahan was hired to fill the hole left by Ruotsalainen, but not until the Sabres were sure he was the best player available for the slot.

If you actually listen to his interview today, he said that it all came together with Buffalo after someone signed in Europe. He said other teams contacted him earlier in the offseason. I find it hard to believe this whole deal was done in less than a day. 

The timeline makes way more sense that the Sabres reached out after the Ruotsalainen signing, he held out for a 1 way deal, but ultimately signed with Buffalo. 

I'm still going to accept Larsson being the target based on the timing being too on the nose.

My guess was Buffalo gave an offer to Larsson near the UFA opening then backed off when he "signed" with Pittsburgh; after R2 chose not to stick around they re-approached him about signing back here but Larsson was non-committal. Perhaps he even mentioned a family related issue making his decision harder. With that information Buffalo calls Sheahan's agent and inquires on his interest in returning to Buffalo. Sheahan probably liked it here so with little else to do just waited to see what would happen barring another team offering him a better deal. Larsson decides to go home and thus Buffalo immediately contacts Sheahan and signs him. 

Sheahan's style is much more akin to Larsson than it is to R2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

That makes sense.  Especially if Sheahan wanted to be in Buffalo it wouldn't take too long to have worked out a deal with him.  They both knew ballpark what he's worth.

It also reinforces the idea that Sheahan has the inside track to 4C as that definitely would've been Larsson's role.

25 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That makes sense.  Especially if Sheahan wanted to be in Buffalo it wouldn't take too long to have worked out a deal with him.  They both knew ballpark what he's worth.

It also reinforces the idea that Sheahan has the inside track to 4C as that definitely would've been Larsson's role.

Especially if the offers from other teams were in the same ballpark. 

He and His Family live in St Catherines Ontario, having the NHL Team 15 Minutes away and the AHL Team an hour and a half away from His Hometown is a huge deal I imagine. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Do you guys really think Sheahan doesn't realize he wasn't anybody's first choice? Guy is just happy he gets to make (close to) a million dollars for another year of skating around a hockey rink rather than going to Europe or Russia himself. Sabres were just bargain basement hunting and Larsson's price wasn't that low. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.