Will Sabres Make the Playoffs In 2022-23?

bob_sauve28

Will Sabres Break Through And Make The Playoffs in 2022-23 Season?   

67 members have voted

1. 1. Will They Make The Playoffs?

I agree that the Sabres will be in the hunt right down to the end, but will probably fall short.  Two reasons:  1) there are so many other teams that are ahead of the Sabres right now.  The Sabres are making great strides and will draw even with, and eventually surpass many of these teams, but probably not next season.  2) goaltending.  The Sabres have mildly improved their goaltending with the Comrie acquistion, but it's still a huge question mark.  While the Sabres hopefully get competent goaltending this year - which I think they will if Anderson and Comrie stay healthy - I don't see them having a goalie who can steal a few games for them and get them over the top.

I'm pleased with the general direction of the organization and am fine with sticking to the plan, but I'm also realistic as to where this team is relative to the rest of the conference.  I'd be overjoyed if they exceeded my expectations.

• Like (+1) 3

I’ll tell my mind yes.

Makes devoting the amount of time to it that I want to more reasonably defendable. Don’t have much interest in a *12th* year missing considering the limited time we have here, anyways. 

Perhaps we are headed for an “ahead of schedule” year where we make the playoffs this season, up to and including even a potential step back the following year with a potential miss, as we see sometimes with building teams.

Edit: make the votes public! 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

No, but they will be in the race longer.  I’m not sure that they won’t finish a slot lower in the eastern conference.  Detroit and Ottawa will also be better.  So much depends on Comrie and UPL. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I’m going with yes. Mostly because I’m tryin to rid myself of negativity and only think happy thoughts. If there’s a letdown how bad can it be ? So this has no basis in intellectual reasoning at all and is basically me pissing into the wind. We’ll see.

• Like (+1) 2

As much as I would love to see the end of the season roll into this one. 

It's just not happening. 

We will have an OK start and an adjustment as other teams step on the gas... That adjustment will keep us 8-10 points out of the playoff race for the 2nd Half of the season. 

Hope I'm wrong. 

6 hours ago, French Collection said:

I voted no but I believe they’re in it until the last week of the season.

A lot of people are responding along these lines.  I disagree.  I think they will be in it right until the end and then eek out a win in Florida on April 4th and run the table against DET, CAR, NYR, NJ & OTT to cement a playoff spot.  They will play FLA in the first round, steal home ice advantage in Game 2 and win all their home games to advance.  In the clinching game RJ joins Dunleavy in the booth and declare this edition of the Sabres to be "Scary Good" and ask, "NOW DO YOU BELIEVE?"  That question will be specifically directed toward @Weave 😉

Edited by Doohickie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't believe it. (That is why I fail.) Anderson was great for the team last year in terms of confidence and communication... but he's a <.900 goalie at this point. They can make the playoffs if Comrie pulls a Shesterkin out of his helmet and rolls a +.925 sv% for 60 games. I think that's too much to ask.

22 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

And im not counting on power or the rookies to move this team forward this year.

Fans get sucked up every year on this ( casey to cozens now power)

Owen Power was one of our best defenders in his 8 games. Dude might win a Calder. 

Wanna talk didn't do anything, nyi are what that looks like. 

28 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Really ? Thats called improving ...

Thats shooting for the stars let me tell you 

Comrie was 2nd in gsaa last year by toi. 

Lybushkin was the best defender Toronto had for defending. 

Owen Power is a level above Mitts and Dylan. 

Idk if it's shooting for the stars as much as calling it improvement. We also added, Tuch, Krebs, and will add the two rookies of Peterka and Quinn. Someone should post the starting roster last year to this year. There's a ton of improvement. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think they will. As others have said I can't rule it out though.

To me making the playoffs this year does not make-or-break the season.  I know others have said they are tired of the losing, they want the playoffs at all cost, anyone who doesn't has a 'losers' mentality, etc, etc.  But to me I just want to see progress. 

Seeing a few more players 'break out' and take big steps with this team missing the playoffs by 5-10 points would be a more enjoyable season for me than to see the team 'squeak in' to the playoffs because of other teams around them dealing with injuries, and get swept out in the first round.

Accepting what the plan by management is (which I am doing now), I'm going to try to enjoy a developmental year where this team is fun to watch when then win, and even in losses can be entertaining.  Playoffs are expected from me in 2023-2024, and REQUIRED for the few seasons after.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.