Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #22 Jack Quinn

dudacek

What do you expect from Jack Quinn?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Quinn this year?

• He won't make the team to start but will be called up by mid-season and stick around
    • He's a season-long Sabre contributor, but will have his ups and downs
    • He's going to be firmly in the conversation for rookie of the year

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not debating your main point or conclusion, I just had to point out that the bold isn’t the general truism you’re pitching it as.

Last year’s rookie of the year contenders were Raymond, Zegras Seider and Bunting. 

Zegras was a top 10 pick in his D3 season coming off a fantastic year at a lower level, just like Quinn.

Raymond was a highly skilled offensive forward who played well against men at a lower level who no one doubted could play in the NHL, they just weren’t sure if he was ready yet, kinda like Peterka.

Seider had looked great on an international stage and was generally hyped as possibly the best defenceman outside the NHL, pretty much Power.

It often doesn’t happen, but it does happen, multiple times, every year.

There is some truth to this idea, I agree. It used to be tougher for this to happen, but with the less physical hockey in the league now and the emphasis on speed and skill over contact, it is possible for shall we say not fully grown boys to play with the men. You can list off players that came in too early and struggled as well though. 

From what I saw of Quinn last year, he looked immature and definitely fit into that boy playing with men idea but every year is different. We shall see what he looks like this year. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Honestly (you won't like it)? I expect the season not to go overly well and with limited ice time they will decide to send him down. 

It's possible they will just keep playing him (sort of like they did with Cozens) even if he struggles but imo that would be a mistake. 

If Quinn is bad enough that he gets sent down, yeah, I won’t like that.

Its just that it’s been 25 years since a player 20 or younger has scored at such a high rate in the AHL, and it’s only been accomplished a couple times ever.

Is there anything in particular about Quinn that makes you feel pessimistic about how everything will translate to the NHL?

EDIT: I read through the rest of the thread.  You basically explained it.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/25/2022 at 10:09 AM, dudacek said:

The part about Dawson Mercer filling our need for a 2nd-line centre to replace Sam Reinhart was fantastic, but the line I liked best was the one about Cole Perfetti's blazing speed.

comedy central omg GIF

On 8/25/2022 at 9:30 AM, Mr. Allen said:

The disrespect… 

Re-Drafting the Top 10 Picks from the 2020 NHL Draft

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10044987-re-drafting-the-top-10-picks-from-the-2020-nhl-draft

I like how they gush over Perfetti's two AHL season but use it as a knock against Quinn. 

"the Buffalo Sabres chose Jack Quinn. The 20-year-old right winger saw action in two NHL games last January but spent most of the past two seasons with the Sabres' AHL affiliate in Rochester." (Note Quinn only spent time in the AHL in 2020 because the OHL shutdown, he had a whopping 15 games of AHL experience).

"Perfetti spent the 2020-21 campaign with the AHL's Manitoba Moose, tallying a respectable 26 points in 32 games in his first experience against professional players."

This is what bias looks like. When you don't give as much weight to two things that are directly comparable because... reasons. They never mention that Quinn had 61pts in 45 games. The difference here is a ppg 1.356 for Quinn versus a 0.882 for Perfetti (15pts in 17games in 2021/22)

I am here for the Jack Quinn revenge tour. As someone that wanted Rossi and clearly was sleeping a little on Quinn, I am all in on this kid. All he has done sine being drafted is proven ppl wrong, he is the Josh Allen equivalent in terms of exceeding expectations up to this point. I want him to win the Calder just so all these reporters and pundits will finally take notice of him. 

Jack Quinn was given "above NHL average" for his shot and "below NHL average" for his skating by Pronman. He's shot is elite and his skating is easily NHL average. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

As for the “no one believes in Quinn” stuff, I argued at the time he seemed a bit off board, but dudacek did a whale of a job formulating his argument about how Quinn wasn’t off board at all, that he got his respect it just depended on who you asked. So I come down somewhere in the middle. 

Definitely seems to be a bit undersold on recent lists, but we can guarantee that’ll change if he reaches the 60p-80p heights of the projections we’ve seen here for his next 2 seasons.

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Both Perfetti and Quinn were only able to play in the AHL 2020-2021 because of the junior shut down, right? Normally they wouldn’t be eligible?

Correct. I am actually unsure how Perfetti was able to play in the AHL last year. The cutoff is December 31, you have to be 20 by then. He turned 20 on Jan 1 so he shouldn't have been AHL eligible as far as I understand it. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Correct. I am actually unsure how Perfetti was able to play in the AHL last year. The cutoff is December 31, you have to be 20 by then. He turned 20 on Jan 1 so he shouldn't have been AHL eligible as far as I understand it. 

That’s what I was thinking too, it’s a bit confusing. Maybe players that got to play early were grandfathered in 

Edited by Thorny

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That’s what I was thinking too, it’s a bit confusing. Maybe players that got to play early were grandfathered in 

Found it.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/10/cole-perfetti-assigned-to-ahl.html

Basically there was an exemption carved out due to the canceled OHL year. If you played at least 20 AHL games in the canceled year, your NHL team could ignore the age rule and assign you back into the AHL even if you were not 20 yet. 

3 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

20 G 25 A, anything more than that will be a bonus imo. I don't think he'll be playing on the first 2 lines so he'll probably have some nice ups but also some duds.

The way I see it, Thompson, Skinner, and Tuch are likely to get top 6 deployment, and Asplund, Girgensons and Hinostroza bottom 6, with Okposo as a swing guy.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of pecking order and usage evolves with Cozens, Krebs, Mitts, Peterka and Quinn.

Personally, I’d like to see some balanced lines.

Edit: missed VO, who is also likely to be top 6.

Edited by dudacek

Just now, dudacek said:

The way I see it, Thompson, Skinner, and Tuch are likely to get top 6 deployment, and Asplund, Girgensons and Hinostroza bottom 6, with Okposo as a swing guy.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of pecking order and usage evolves with Cozens, Krebs, Mitts, Peterka and Quinn.

Personally, I’d like to see some balanced lines.

I like the idea of scoring threats on three lines. Matchups will be tougher for other teams and DG can go with whoever is hotter as his go to line.

• Agree 1

On 8/22/2022 at 12:53 PM, pi2000 said:

Quinn, Peterka and Krebs really should start the season in Rochester.

They still have a ways to go developmentally to be the players the Sabres want them to be.

They flash offensively, but aren't capable of defending at the NHL level just yet... be patient.

Quinn and Peterka should get a serious look at NHL and if earn they their way, they stay up.   If only we had a strong enough roster to keep them in the AHL?   We probably don't.  We could bring in a few JAGS but they are probably already better players than past JAGS like like Eakin, Cagullia, Bjork, etc.  As for their defensive play,  I didn't see enough of them last year to reach the same conclusion.  

Krebs should be penciled in to start the season in Buffalo and only go to Rochester if he is struggling.  

Having all three make the team, plus Power and Samuelsson, that is a lot of youth.    There will be a lot of pressure on the veterans to keep these guys up.   Granato has a big challenge ahead.  

Edited by Pimlach

3 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

20 G 25 A, anything more than that will be a bonus imo. I don't think he'll be playing on the first 2 lines so he'll probably have some nice ups but also some duds.

You're expecting him to have a better rookie season then Sam Reinhart? 

Everyone  Has very high expectations this season I see .

Im going to say 10-15 goals and maybe around 30 points 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Quinn and Peterka should get a serious look at NHL and if earn they their way, they stay up.   If only we had a strong enough roster to keep them in the AHL?   We probably don't.  We could bring in a few JAGS but they are probably already better players than past JAGS like like Eakin, Cagullia, Bjork, etc.  As for their defensive play,  I didn't see enough of them last year to reach the same conclusion.  

Krebs should be penciled in to start the season in Buffalo and only go to Rochester if he is struggling.  

Having all three make the team, plus Power and Samuelsson, that is a lot of youth.    There will be a lot of pressure on the veterans to keep these guys up.   Granato has a big challenge ahead.  

Anderson, Okposo certainly enter the season with sway and seem to be the right personalities. Girgs and Hinostroza are the right kind of foot soldiers and by all accounts Comrie and Lyubushkin are glue guys.

I think what will make or break the kids is less Granato and more the tone set by the young vets in front of them likely to be playing key roles - Tuch, Thompson, Dahlin, Cozens.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Why shouldn’t Jack have a similar rookie season to Sam (23 goals, 42points)?

He’s a year older than Sam was as a rookie.

Sam’s totals the year before his NHL rookie season: 47/19/46/65 in the WHL

Jack’s totals the year before his NHL rookie season: 45/26/35/61 in the AHL

• Thanks (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Why shouldn’t Jack have a similar rookie season to Sam (23 goals, 42points)?

He’s a year older than Sam was as a rookie.

Sam’s totals the year before his NHL rookie season: 47/19/46/65 in the WHL

Jack’s totals the year before his NHL rookie season: 45/26/35/61 in the AHL

Sam was on the top 2 lines i don't see Quinn getting that opportunity to start his rookie year 

He's going to be good don't get me wrong 

• Thanks (+1) 2

Reinhart started the season as Eichel's 2RW and had some games as a 3C/W early, but once Ennis went down, Reinhart was O'Reilly's winger on the top line for almost the entire season, plus PP1 time as the net-front presence with deflections.

If a VO or Skinner injury occurs, then I think Quinn could be the logical skater to step up into that top line role. But I don't want to rely on an injury to a specific player in general expectations. I think Quinn will have a more difficult time than Reinhart did in starting the season on the 2nd line. 

18 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I went with the go big or go home approach and to be honest I was never a fan of Reinhart, he had the hockey IQ but never had the wheels that Quinn has. I know I'm not the majority who believes that but we all have different opinions. I think Quinn is a difference maker if he isn't buried on a 3rd/4th line but that's just me.

I re-watched his scoring video from 2021-22 today.  He obviously has great hockey sense.  Quick accurate shot, doesn't need much space.  Many of his goals are so quick that you're left saying let me see the replay.

I think he will do well this season because he will most likely be on 2nd or 3rd scoring line and maybe not get the top D pairing to play against.  I'm hoping that he comes to camp with some added strength that will be needed for the NHL. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.