Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #21 Kyle Okposo

dudacek

What do you expect from Kyle Okposo?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Okposo this year?

• Regression to the injury plagued 4th liner he was prior to this past season
    • Reduced offence as age take its toll and/or the kids start to surpass him, but still a good contribution in a middle six role
    • A similar season in terms of production and usage to the 2021/22 season.
  2. 2. Do you think Kyle Okposo will be named captain this season?

• No
    • Yes, but it will be a mistake
    • Yes, and I think he’s a good choice

8 hours ago, Curt said:

Full disclosure, I didn’t really read your post.  I was just agreeing with what LGR said about Olofsson.

With that said, I think that Olofsson belongs more in a grouping with guys like Skinner, Tuch and Thompson than the list of younger fairly unproven players you grouped him with.  Yes, he potentially has more to prove, but in the NHL a majority of players do.  I could easily argue that Skinner, Thompson, and Tuch also have things to prove.  Olofsson has the potential for a better season in 2022-23, but I don’t think he is any real danger of being healthy scratched in favor of Girgs or Hinostroza.  I think he is pretty clearly one of the top 4 wingers on the Sabres.

Good point on Tuch. He assuredly has a lot to prove. If memory serves, he had the traditional post-trade bump but then his season sort of fizzled out production wise. 

People were posting and tweeting comparisons between Tuch’s and Eichel’s production, that didn’t really last. So is Tuch a 50/60point guy, or does he have a point a game guy in him, as he briefly showed? 

Edit: Tuch finished up with 5 goals and 15 points in his last 27 games, for a 46 point 82 game pace

(First 23 games: 23 points)

Edited by Thorny

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Good point on Tuch. He assuredly has a lot to prove. If memory serves, he had the traditional post-trade bump but then his season sort of fizzled out production wise. 

People were posting and tweeting comparisons between Tuch’s and Eichel’s production, that didn’t really last. So is Tuch a 50/60point guy, or does he have a point a game guy in him, as he briefly showed? 

Edit: Tuch finished up with 5 goals and 15 points in his last 27 games, for a 46 point 82 game pace

(First 23 games: 23 points)

Tuch's a 50/60 point guy, but will give absolutely everything for this franchise.  It's his & Kyle's team.  (Hopefully Dahlin is the 3rd of the "lettermen."  Would really like to see him not just the best D-man but also the leader.)

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Tuch's a 50/60 point guy, but will give absolutely everything for this franchise.  It's his & Kyle's team.  (Hopefully Dahlin is the 3rd of the "lettermen."  Would really like to see him not just the best D-man but also the leader.)

I really do miss the “skeptical” reaction emoji 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I think Tuch is a 55 point player. His main assets are work ethic, speed and size. His shot is average and he doesn’t have magic hands.

The energy he has about being a Sabre is what you need in a leadership group. If he was tickled to come to a bottom feeding franchise, the future will make him have a permanent smile.

• Like (+1) 1

I understand every farmer and their mom wrote about the Son of Joseph taking up his rightful place as the soul of the franchise merely because he’s a seemingly good guy who wants to be here (and really, let’s be honest, b/c of who he was traded for) but the team’s record in fact did *not* improve with the arrival of Tuch. Misnomer, where the team actually improved once becoming more healthy. 

Too much unprovable, intangible being gifted to the player right now for my liking. He’s definitely a good voice in the room, and a good player, but the place he take up in the heart and mind of this Sabres fan will mostly depend on the actual results.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

True dat.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I understand every farmer and their mom wrote about the Son of Joseph taking up his rightful place as the soul of the franchise merely because he’s a seemingly good guy who wants to be here (and really, let’s be honest, b/c of who he was traded for) but the team’s record in fact did *not* improve with the arrival of Tuch. Misnomer, where the team actually improved once becoming more healthy. 

Too much unprovable, intangible being gifted to the player right now for my liking. He’s definitely a good voice in the room, and a good player, but the place he take up in the heart and mind of this Sabres fan will mostly depend on the actual results.

You honestly think that my embracing Tuch & what he represents is BECAUSE he was traded for Eichel?  We have spoken with each other before, right?  😉

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m not on the Tuch for Captain train. He should be a part of the leadership group. I’d like to see KO get it and see who the successor will be over the next year or three.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You honestly think that my embracing Tuch & what he represents is BECAUSE he was traded for Eichel?  We have spoken with each other before, right?  😉

No not you specifically. But to think there isn’t added goodwill for Tuch to succeed for that reason would stretch believability to the breaking point. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I’m not on the Tuch for Captain train. He should be a part of the leadership group. I’d like to see KO get it and see who the successor will be over the next year or three.

I’m very non-old-school in that I just don’t think who actually wears the C matters that much. Those who would lead will lead, imo. Anyone who needs the patch to do so isn’t much of a leader, imo. For me it’s ceremonial.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I’m very non-old-school in that I just don’t think who actually wears the C matters that much. Those who would lead will lead, imo. Anyone who needs the patch to do so isn’t much of a leader, imo. For me it’s ceremonial.

I agree that it’s ceremonial, but I think it’s important that it goes to someone who the rest of the team respects and deems worthy. 

However, to place that ceremonial honor on someone who the team feels really doesn’t deserve it could be an issue.

Ceremonial things can matter from an interpersonal relationship perspective.

Edited by Curt

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

I agree that it’s ceremonial, but I think it’s important that it goes to someone who the rest of the team respects and deems worthy. 

However, to place that ceremonial honor on someone who the team feels really doesn’t deserve it could be an issue.

Ceremonial things can matter from an interpersonal relationship perspective.

That’s true. There’s importance in getting it right, because the perception of importance is definitely there among many. As long as it feels organic, I suppose. That’s a good point about the negativity that could arise. So it’s less about anointing a definitive “leader” and more about making sure the selection is someone by whom no one feels silenced / unable to step into leadership roles themselves.

You WOULD think KO would be perfect in this regard, elevating new voices and facilitating that process 

• Thanks (+1) 1

When everyone was healthy at the beginning and end of the season (and the team looked good), Okposo was the 3RW. However, he was 4th among forwards in average ice time because he was on PP2 and killed penalties. I don't see any of those conditions changing this season. PP1 - Thompson/VO on the wings, PP2 of Quinn/KO. Maybe he loses some PP2 time as the season goes on, but his 3rd line setup will have the most talent we've had with him in awhile. I see a similar output to last season, but it will feel more impressive because instead of skating with Girgensons (4th liner this year) and Eakin (gone) and an assortment of rookies, he'll be with a Cozens, Mitts, Krebs, Asplund, or Quinn all one year improved in their games. Okposo is still capable of playing in the top 6 if either of VO or Tuch is injured.

More specific? 70 games played. 16:10 min/gm. 18-28-46 and -2. I almost said +2 but I have goalie concerns.

I expect Kyle to lead the team into battle every night and give an honest effort, leading by example. 

I don't think he'll move up in the lineup, nor do I think he should. He'll score 15 or so goals and get some PP2 time. 

If I were the Sabres, i'd let him play out his deal but I wouldn't be re-signing him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

I expect Kyle to lead the team into battle every night and give an honest effort, leading by example. 

I don't think he'll move up in the lineup, nor do I think he should. He'll score 15 or so goals and get some PP2 time. 

If I were the Sabres, i'd let him play out his deal but I wouldn't be re-signing him. 

I'd keep him the top 6 and give him ample PP time to boost his stats for a deadline deal.

He'll be a valuable add for a contender looking to add a veteran presence who can contribute offense.     

He's been a good soldier, he deserves a chance at a Cup (if that what he wants at this point of his career).

They can always sign him over the summer if he really "wants to be here".

31 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'd keep him the top 6 and give him ample PP time to boost his stats for a deadline deal.

He'll be a valuable add for a contender looking to add a veteran presence who can contribute offense.     

He's been a good soldier, he deserves a chance at a Cup (if that what he wants at this point of his career).

Who are your top 6 wings then, Skinner, Tuch, Olofsson and KO? 

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I think KA will have that discussion with KO. He may not want to go anywhere but if he does they may re-sign him (a la Tkachuk).

55 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I think KA will have that discussion with KO. He may not want to go anywhere but if he does they may re-sign him (a la Tkachuk).

I really can't see them re-signing him to be honest.

That money can be better spent elsewhere. 

I have a feeling that Kyle will be captain this season.

He will be signed for 2 more seasons and will captain the team for those seasons.  After this he will retire and become a coach of some sort or assistant to the assistant GM or some such.

In three seasons the captain of the Sabres will be ... Owen Power.  Book it and you heard it here first.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.