Rochester Americans Have Addressed A Racist Incident

bob_sauve28

5 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

How does this stuff still happen in 2022?

This year alone I’ve had to twice deal with truck drivers calling employees at shippers/receivers racial slurs and threatening them. These things happen everyday and it’s truly unbelievable. 

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

22 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

How does this stuff still happen in 2022?

The crowd who is into this stuff was empowered/emboldened recently.

Anyway, not sure this counts as the Amerks themselves *having* a racist incident, more like *responding to* one.  Glad they did.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 6

5 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

The Amerks did not have a racist incident at all. What a terrible headline to the topic. 

Want to read terrible headlines, let me show the last 48 hours of Fox 

55 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Glad the Amerks addressed it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

• bob_sauve28 changed the title to Rochester American's Have Addressed A Racist Incident
1 hour ago, #freejame said:

This year alone I’ve had to twice deal with truck drivers calling employees at shippers/receivers racial slurs and threatening them. These things happen everyday and it’s truly unbelievable. 

Yep, its still a lot bigger deal than most realize. 

This month I was in a Walmart in Florida when visiting relatives,  and an African American woman and a white woman were going at it in an aisle (I think about the African American woman taking too long to look at something and blocking the Aisle), and within 5 seconds the racial slur came out. Kinda startling to me people would so easily go to that.  I probably witness a couple examples each month, but sometimes I don't remember them because I don't really take notice of them because some of us are almost numb to it.  I'm sure many of us have similar stories.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Sad 3
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Yep, its still a lot bigger deal than most realize. 

This month I was in a Walmart in Florida when visiting relatives,  and an African American woman and a white woman were going at it in an aisle (I think about the African American woman taking too long to look at something and blocking the Aisle), and within 5 seconds the racial slur came out. Kinda startling to me people would so easily go to that.  I probably witness a couple examples each month, but sometimes I don't remember them because I don't really take notice of them because some of us are almost numb to it.  I'm sure many of us have similar stories.

“Walmart in Florida” the reality show the world needs!

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Weave said:

They were encouraged tp crawl out from under their rocks 6 years ago and refuse to crawl back under.

Eh, I don't know. I get called a "fa***t" at work at least twice a month. It's been happening for almost 20 years. It's did drop off during the time we had to wear masks for COVID, though.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Eh, I don't know. I get called a "fa***t" at work at least twice a month. It's been happening for almost 20 years. It's did drop off during the time we had to wear masks for COVID, though.

Then cut your hair, hippie.

White Teeth Smile GIF by Beano Studios

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

Stop sucking everyone dick and you might get a new nickname 😎

Edited by inkman
  • Haha (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, COSabreFan said:

I grew up in Rochester, have lived in Florida and Texas.  Rochester is more racist then either Florida and Texas.  This is not a surprise.

I guess your unique experiences can lead to your own conclusions, but I do not agree. It’s why I feel compelled to respond. I don’t want someone who doesn’t live here to take your statement as fact. 

I am a ROC native (lived in Gates, Spencerport high school, SUNY Brockport). 
I have lived in the city since 2005 (upon returning from 1.5 years in FL), and a city of ROC homeowner since 2007. 

Racism is not unique to this area. Nor do I see it more pronounced than other regions of this country. 
Nothing about this event is unique to this area, except the fact that they were objectifying local politicians. But again, not a unique circumstance.

***** like this happens everywhere.  And it is sad. But it doesn’t speak for the region. And maybe you shouldn’t either. 🤷‍♂️

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, COSabreFan said:

I grew up in Rochester, have lived in Florida and Texas.  Rochester is more racist then either Florida and Texas.  This is not a surprise.

Texas and Florida are both huge states with large populations.  It amazing that you can cover all that space and meet that many people to make such a statement.   

1 hour ago, COSabreFan said:

Ah yes, Florida and Texas; bastions of evolved tolerance. 😂

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

it's actually getting worse

Not sure racism is getting worse but it certainly is getting more media attention and more awareness.   It is the most prominent topic in America.  

What is actually getting worse is ageism.  There is a growing perception in this country that seniors don’t understand things and have little value.  Just last week I volunteered my services and was told by a young lady “ the last thing we need is a gray haired white guy working on that “.    I was floored by that but it’s not the first time I’ve heard those words.  

Although Covid gets the blame, ageism and social changes in the workplace are a big factor ad to why there are so many early retirements, leading to many unfilled jobs in some critical area..  There is a massive teaching shortage.  Same with nursing, engineering, and other fields.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I guess your unique experiences can lead to your own conclusions, but I do not agree. It’s why I feel compelled to respond. I don’t want someone who doesn’t live here to take your statement as fact. 

I am a ROC native (lived in Gates, Spencerport high school, SUNY Brockport). 
I have lived in the city since 2005 (upon returning from 1.5 years in FL), and a city of ROC homeowner since 2007. 

Racism is not unique to this area. Nor do I see it more pronounced than other regions of this country. 
Nothing about this event is unique to this area, except the fact that they were objectifying local politicians. But again, not a unique circumstance.

***** like this happens everywhere.  And it is sad. But it doesn’t speak for the region. And maybe you shouldn’t either. 🤷‍♂️

Rochester is literally the most segregated school district area in the country.  If you want to learn more about the some of the history of Rochester that isn’t taught to us in school, here is a start.  This is research from RIT and Yale, not just OP EDs from New York Times.  BTW, I’m white, grew up in upper middle class house in Fairport, and most of my family went to SUNY schools and still live in area today.

https://reporter.rit.edu/news/redlining-rochester

https://landmarksociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/ShaneWiegand_Redlining-Segregation_web.pdf

https://law.yale.edu/sites/default/files/area/clinic/document/2020.7.31_-_confronting_racial_covenants_-_yale.city_roots_guide.pdf

Edited by COSabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.