Sabres Latest Embedded Episode Building the Pipeline

Brawndo

44 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I love the Embedded series and I hope the Sabres continue to churn out episodes. With that said, am I really supposed to believe that Comrie & Lyubushkin were their primary intended targets all along?? That just seems pretty far-fetched. 

Each so perfectly fit team needs through a moneyball focus that I’m a believer.

53 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I love the Embedded series and I hope the Sabres continue to churn out episodes. With that said, am I really supposed to believe that Comrie & Lyubushkin were their primary intended targets all along?? That just seems pretty far-fetched. 

In seriousness, it’s coming from the guy that has documented video of him saying, “We got him?! We got Matt Irwin?”

No problem believing those two were the targets, when I’d consider them significantly more likely to impact our team in a positive way 

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I believe both were high on the Sabres lists.  I certainly thought Comrie would be in the top 5 goaltenders who could transition to full time in the NHL.  Given team needs, I has Lyubushkin in my top 5 RHD targets.  Neither was in my top 2, but them being among their primary targets makes sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Sam Ventura explains how Comrie being in the Top 5 Statistical Categories from goaltending in the AHL translates into a NHL Starter

Adams calls Okposo to detail the signings of Comrie and Lubushkin, yeah that’s the next Captain 

I bet you half the Analytics depts. in the league watch that video and say “Wow the GM actually listens to the Analytics guys and value their input”

A lot of clubs have Analytics depts because everyone has them now but the GM can’t really be bothered with them that much.

It is an edge that the Sabres have one of the top depts. and utilize them. The drafting has been much better and these two signings were aided by Analytics.

A couple takeaways:

1) Pegula’s son was in the interview with Savoie from the draft video and was sitting beside Adams in the war room for free agency. Looks like he wants to be involved.

2) Adam’s little speech at the end saying this was the first offseason that players and agents were interested in coming and excited about what the team is doing.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I bet you half the Analytics depts. in the league watch that video and say “Wow the GM actually listens to the Analytics guys and value their input”

A lot of clubs have Analytics depts because everyone has them now but the GM can’t really be bothered with them that much.

It is an edge that the Sabres have one of the top depts. and utilize them. The drafting has been much better and these two signings were aided by Analytics.

A couple takeaways:

1) Pegula’s son was in the interview with Savoie from the draft video and was sitting beside Adams in the war room for free agency. Looks like he wants to be involved.

2) Adam’s little speech at the end saying this was the first offseason that players and agents were interested in coming and excited about what the team is doing.

No issue w/ the owners' kids getting to be around.  (It's one of those perks that come w/ being the princeling.)  PROVIDED they don't end up pushing themselves into actual scouting roles and trying to get their voices heard over Adams & the rest of the actual pros.  Wilson's daughter thinking she knew more than she did was a not insignificant portion of why Ralph decided he didn't need Polian around.

Let him design more BS hats or whatever it takes to keep him from providing scouting reports.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

He's been a presence throughout most embedded videotape this year and we haven't seen him utter a word. I'm sure that's deliberate.

I would imagine that with Kim's health issues Terry hasn't been as present as he normally is with the Sabres and the Matt has been designated to be the family presence.

It will be interesting to see how active that presence actually is, and how that evolves.

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

In seriousness, it’s coming from the guy that has documented video of him saying, “We got him?! We got Matt Irwin?”

No problem believing those two were the targets, when I’d consider them significantly more likely to impact our team in a positive way 

That will never not be funny.   Even KA himself has to look back at that clip and cringe.

Unrelated, I was surprised they shared the conversation with Adam’s and UPL.  Not so much that a conversation was had, but rather it was included.  Shouldn’t UPL a look at this an immediate threat but at the same time, a much lesser threat than what could have occurred.  KA told him “the most important thing we need next year is for you to play games”.  I guess.  How about win games?  How about win games, and in spectacular fashion.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Well, he provided the Boosh reasons. It's easy enough to look and see who else they would have targeted for that role.

14 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

That will never not be funny.   Even KA himself has to look back at that clip and cringe.

Unrelated, I was surprised they shared the conversation with Adam’s and UPL.  Not so much that a conversation was had, but rather it was included.  Shouldn’t UPL a look at this an immediate threat but at the same time, a much lesser threat than what could have occurred.  KA told him “the most important thing we need next year is for you to play games”.  I guess.  How about win games?  How about win games, and in spectacular fashion.  

Well.. with UPL it's really that he needs to play games.  He's been injured quite a bit so far right? So, he's got to get to the rhythm of the game.  Sure they need him to win, but you have to play first.

On 9/21/2022 at 10:54 PM, Taro T said:

No issue w/ the owners' kids getting to be around.  (It's one of those perks that come w/ being the princeling.)  PROVIDED they don't end up pushing themselves into actual scouting roles and trying to get their voices heard over Adams & the rest of the actual pros.  Wilson's daughter thinking she knew more than she did was a not insignificant portion of why Ralph decided he didn't need Polian around.

Let him design more BS hats or whatever it takes to keep him from providing scouting reports.

How can such a smart and worldly man as yourself actually believe this is how things work?

Are you going to be the one to tell the future owner what he can and cannot do?

How'd that work out with the old man?

I've had something jammed down my throat for 11 years and it still applies.

HE'S GOING TO OWN THE TEAM. HE CAN DO DAMNED WELL WHAT HE WANTS WITH IT.

Enjoy.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

How can such a smart and worldly man as yourself actually believe this is how things work?

Enjoy.

I enjoy Kevyn Adams press conferences very much. He said a lot of far more interesting things than the owners son gets to sit at the draft table. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Enjoy.

Of course he or his other siblings will end up running the team.  But thank you for shouting it from the rooftops.  Did it make you feel better?  Hope so.

Not sure how you're conflating saying that yours truly won't be happy if (hopefully not when but if) the owners kid starts thinking he knows more than the pros his parents hired & subsequently starts telling them what moves they should make with telling him what he can & cannot do.

His being in the room isn't an issue IMHO, ymmv.  If he starts doing things that are bothersome or worse IMHO, can then decide to stop giving his parents' franchise my hard earned $'s.  Not sure what controversy you're trying to create, but whatever.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.