Sabres Latest Embedded Episode Building the Pipeline

Brawndo

Wow they were debating Kulich at #16, tried trading up with atleast 6 teams to get him and end up having him there at #28. He was their guy for sure.

And it wasn’t lost on me with Terry sitting in on the draft interviews taking notes and being on the phone with Kevyn at the draft wanting all the updates. Doesn’t look like a man looking to sell the team based on earlier rumours.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Wow they were debating Kulich at #16, tried trading up with atleast 6 teams to get him and end up having him there at #28. He was their guy for sure.

And it wasn’t lost on me with Terry sitting in on the draft interviews taking notes and being on the phone with Kevyn at the draft wanting all the updates. Doesn’t look like a man looking to sell the team based on earlier rumours.

Really shows we certainly weren’t resting on our laurels with our picks. We tried moving up from 16 to 7 and 6 separate times from 28 to somewhere between 17 and 25.

We got lucky and you could see their excitement that Kulich somehow fell to them at 28. My best guess is Ostland got the edge at 16 for being a natural center man.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I am a bit hesitant because I remember when we drafted Zegmus at around the same spot, he was supposed to be this tough power forward... I like Z, but he's replaceable. 

Definitely should be hesitant. Östlund and Kulich could always end up bottom 6 players. Time will tell. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

What rumors about the owner selling the team are you referring to? 

54 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It is interesting that they had Kulich and Östlund right on top of eachother. What is also interesting is that they tried to trade up and no one would. Sometimes other gms save you from yourself which is always good to see. 

My takeaway is, they were so convinced by their rankings that someone else would select Kulich before they could….. means either they saw something all those other GMs didn’t see, or maybe their analytics overrating some players.  

We’ll definitely see which it is in a few years.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Also doesn't look like a P.O.S. meddler destroyer of proud franchises.

20 minutes ago, Weave said:

My takeaway is, they were so convinced by their rankings that someone else would select Kulich before they could….. means either they saw something all those other GMs didn’t see, or maybe their analytics overrating some players.  

We’ll definitely see which it is in a few years.

So here is the list of players taken between 16 and 28.  11 teams passed on Kulich, including Minnesota twice.  A couple of centers taken in the 11 plus some D.  As stated above, time will tell.

NHL Draft 2022.JPG

What it means is a lot of teams were as excited about getting their Gaucher or their Pickering as the Sabres were about Kulich.

More evidence of how its silly to get upset when a team goes off the board from the consensus list. Nobody knows who the best player available is. Everyone is basing their choice through different criteria, different information and different filters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

What it means is a lot of teams were as excited about getting their Gaucher or their Pickering as the Sabres were about Kulich.

More evidence of how its silly to get upset when a team goes off the board from the consensus list. Nobody knows who the best player available is. Everyone is basing their choice through different criteria, different information and different filters.

That's a big component of the bad teams staying bad teams. New coaching, new management, new scouting all working with players drafted for a different system leads to the wash, rinse, repeat cycle. This is part of the reason I want to see progress from this upcoming season of Sabres hockey, but won't be devastated if they don't make the playoffs. Playoffs this year would be great, but compare that to a solid organization with lots of playoffs in the future and I'm willing to wait. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 8/12/2022 at 11:45 AM, Flashsabre said:

No idea what any of this is supposed to mean

No one knows what PA is intending to say.

It's like there's extra context in his head that no one else is privy to.

On 8/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, irregularly irregular said:

That's a big component of the bad teams staying bad teams. New coaching, new management, new scouting all working with players drafted for a different system leads to the wash, rinse, repeat cycle. This is part of the reason I want to see progress from this upcoming season of Sabres hockey, but won't be devastated if they don't make the playoffs. Playoffs this year would be great, but compare that to a solid organization with lots of playoffs in the future and I'm willing to wait. 

I agree.

But they'll make the playoffs this year.

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I love the Embedded series and I hope the Sabres continue to churn out episodes. With that said, am I really supposed to believe that Comrie & Lyubushkin were their primary intended targets all along?? That just seems pretty far-fetched. 

I fully believe Comrie was a top target. Idk about Boosh but maybe. 

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Sam Ventura explains how Comrie being in the Top 5 Statistical Categories from goaltending in the AHL translates into a NHL Starter

Adams calls Okposo to detail the signings of Comrie and Lubushkin, yeah that’s the next Captain 

Okposo is the captain of this team. No doubt for me now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.