Lehner to miss the coming season with a hip injury.

GASabresIUFAN

46 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

They were given unprecedented expansion draft terms, which enabled McPhee to strong arm even more favorable terms in no fewer than TEN trades for expansion draft considerations (ie, trade me so-and-so, otherwise I'll select so-and-so).

I mean, what the *****:

GMs were much better prepared the second time.  And the Ron Francis show made some very questionable selections.

But anyways, it's been fun watching VGK fall apart, and, for me, that's had nothing to do with Eichel, Carrier, or McNabb.

Well, I'd probably describe it as them agreeing to pay a huge amount for those draft terms, and the other owners agreeing to sell those draft terms in exchange for that huge amount.  So Vegas wanted the opportunity to be good right away and was willing to pay for that opportunity, and the NHL was willing to sell it to them.  They still had to be smart enough to utilize that opportunity correctly.  Seattle had the same opportunity and, thus far, seems to have squandered it.

And I go back to each other team losing only 1 guy, and being able to protect all draftees, all 1st- and 2nd-year pros, their top 7 forwards, top 3 D and top goalie.  No one put a gun to anyone's head and made him expose MAF or trade Karlsson.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I'd probably describe it as them agreeing to pay a huge amount for those draft terms, and the other owners agreeing to sell those draft terms in exchange for that huge amount.  So Vegas wanted the opportunity to be good right away and was willing to pay for that opportunity, and the NHL was willing to sell it to them.  They still had to be smart enough to utilize that opportunity correctly.  Seattle had the same opportunity and, thus far, seems to have squandered it.

And I go back to each other team losing only 1 guy, and being able to protect all draftees, all 1st- and 2nd-year pros, their top 7 forwards, top 3 D and top goalie.  No one put a gun to anyone's head and made him expose MAF or trade Karlsson.

If Seattle is fortunate enough to land Bedard in next years draft to go with Beniers and Wright, that's one he'll of a spine to build around. Could open a long window of contendership. 

6 hours ago, JohnC said:

Vegas has other goalie options. The irony is that Lehner's injury and likely LTIR status benefits Vegas's tight cap situation. 

What the Lehner situation highlights is the importance of depth on the roster. And it highlights the fact that the most important position has a high injury risk rate. 

Maybe this question should be directed to @Brawndo?: Are bigger goalies more susceptible to hip injuries than smaller goalies? 

Yes

Goalies = Great Danes

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.