Jump to content

Lehner to miss the coming season with a hip injury.


GASabresIUFAN
 Share

Recommended Posts

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/golden-knights-goalie-robin-lehner-expected-to-miss-2022-23-season-hip-injury-163844839.html

Quote

The Golden Knights currently count four goalies - Lehner, Laurent Brossoit, Patrick Nolan and restricted free agent Nicolas Hague - who are on injured reserve. Michael Hutchinson, a 32-year-old NHL journeyman, is the organization's most experienced goaltender that can be counted on at the moment.

I wonder what Jack is thinking?  

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MBD said:

"At least I'm still getting paid." 

What are management and the other players thinking?

True.  However, the coach threw him under the bus last season when the injury occurred, so it is hard to blame him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I gotta admit -- it will be hard to avoid schadenfreude if the wheels fall off in Vegas again.

Vegas has other goalie options. The irony is that Lehner's injury and likely LTIR status benefits Vegas's tight cap situation. 

What the Lehner situation highlights is the importance of depth on the roster. And it highlights the fact that the most important position has a high injury risk rate. 

Maybe this question should be directed to @Brawndo?: Are bigger goalies more susceptible to hip injuries than smaller goalies? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I gotta admit -- it will be hard to avoid schadenfreude if the wheels fall off in Vegas again.

And especially with Lehner. Could be it *wasn't* entirely the Sabres staff that was the issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MattPie said:

And especially with Lehner. Could be it *wasn't* entirely the Sabres staff that was the issue.

I was thinking of Eichel, not Lehner, when I mentioned schadenfreude, but this is a very good point.  Lehner sure gets hurt a lot.  I still wish him well with his demons though.  But I wouldn't be too sad if Jack continues to miss the playoffs every year for a while.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who would have thought that Buffalo's goaltending situation would be better than LV's.  The guy on the NHLNetwork suggested acquiring Anderson from the Sabres.  

I'm not sure that's 100% accurate.  Honestly it's kind of similar. They have 25 year old Logan Thompson who played 19 games last season pretty well for them with a 2.68 and a .914 but has only 1 other game of NHL experience.  Plus they have journeyman Hutchinson.

Our situation is slightly better, but Thompson, like Comrie is a legit hope.    

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MattPie said:

And especially with Lehner. Could be it *wasn't* entirely the Sabres staff that was the issue.

No, it's always the Sabres fault. Like, I stubbed my toe this morning and it was directly the fault of the Sabres. 

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Vegas has other goalie options. The irony is that Lehner's injury and likely LTIR status benefits Vegas's tight cap situation. 

What the Lehner situation highlights is the importance of depth on the roster. And it highlights the fact that the most important position has a high injury risk rate. 

Maybe this question should be directed to @Brawndo?: Are bigger goalies more susceptible to hip injuries than smaller goalies? 

Calling @carpandean!  We need a chart on this!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW, I think there is a reckoning coming for youth hockey and how goalies are coached.  The butterfly/flare position and RVH post-play are horrible for hips.  Injuries happen in sports; parents, and kids to an extent, know there are risks.  For me, there is a bit of an ethical quandary when it is known that specific techniques are the cause of a common injury that requires surgical intervention for young athletes.  

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

FWIW, I think there is a reckoning coming for youth hockey and how goalies are coached.  The butterfly/flare position and RVH post-play are horrible for hips.  Injuries happen in sports; parents, and kids to an extent, know there are risks.  For me, there is a bit of an ethical quandary when it is known that specific techniques are the cause of a common injury that requires surgical intervention for young athletes.  

It's a really tough one, it's effective, but it's 100% an unnatural pose to put a body in. It's not the first time people have had to reckon with "playing this sport will damage my body", which seems like the answer is "I don't care, the sports are more important to me".

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

True.  However, the coach threw him under the bus last season when the injury occurred, so it is hard to blame him.

Screw him.  He was an alkie with the Sabres and blamed them for everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lehner I think is under-rated as a goalie when he is on the ice.

I think the bigger issues with him is he can be a pain for Coaches/GMs, and he seems to be prone to injuries.  But when he is on the ice, I think he is a top 10 goalie. 

His loss will hurt Vegas. If they can recover his salary and replace him with someone making what he was, I doubt they will get someone short term as good as he was/is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I gotta admit -- it will be hard to avoid schadenfreude if the wheels fall off in Vegas again.

Eh, I don't have time to be resentful of former Sabres.  I do have time, however, to enjoy a pay-to-win expansion scam whose meteoric downfall got started by asset and salary cap mismanagement and will eventually come to the the brutally rotten maturation of having traded away all draft assets.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who would have thought that Buffalo's goaltending situation would be better than LV's.  The guy on the NHLNetwork suggested acquiring Anderson from the Sabres.  

I'm not sure that's 100% accurate.  Honestly it's kind of similar. They have 25 year old Logan Thompson who played 19 games last season pretty well for them with a 2.68 and a .914 but has only 1 other game of NHL experience.  Plus they have journeyman Hutchinson.

Our situation is slightly better, but Thompson, like Comrie is a legit hope.    

 

I'd love to trade them Anderson. What else can they give away to us?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Malazan said:

No, it's always the Sabres fault. Like, I stubbed my toe this morning and it was directly the fault of the Sabres. 

Hey, this is over the line and unfair.  We all know that the Sabres are not at fault for your stubbed toe.

That said, any mishaps in your recovery will be the direct fault of the Sabres' training staff.

  • Haha (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Eh, I don't have time to be resentful of former Sabres.  I do have time, however, to enjoy a pay-to-win expansion scam whose meteoric downfall got started by asset and salary cap mismanagement and will eventually come to the the brutally rotten maturation of having traded away all draft assets.

Interesting.  I think a number of people agree with you in being unhappy with the deal that Vegas negotiated with the NHL and the results -- ie Vegas being good right away without having to "pay their dues" like prior expansion teams.  I don't feel that way at all -- they paid a $500MM fee in exchange for the right to pick from the other teams' 8th-best forwards, 4th-best defensemen and 2nd-best goalies, from which draft picks and 1st- and 2nd-year pros were excluded, and didn't get the #1 overall draft pick.  And they were really smart about building their organization and their team.  They wanted to be good right away, and they were, and it was exciting and good for the NHL.

The Kraken had the same opportunity as Vegas had, and they made much worse choices and have had much worse results.

I agree with you that they got greedy and mismanaged assets and the salary cap, and I can agree with some schadenfreude on that point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Interesting.  I think a number of people agree with you in being unhappy with the deal that Vegas negotiated with the NHL and the results -- ie Vegas being good right away without having to "pay their dues" like prior expansion teams.  I don't feel that way at all -- they paid a $500MM fee in exchange for the right to pick from the other teams' 8th-best forwards, 4th-best defensemen and 2nd-best goalies, from which draft picks and 1st- and 2nd-year pros were excluded, and didn't get the #1 overall draft pick.  And they were really smart about building their organization and their team.  They wanted to be good right away, and they were, and it was exciting and good for the NHL.

The Kraken had the same opportunity as Vegas had, and they made much worse choices and have had much worse results.

I agree with you that they got greedy and mismanaged assets and the salary cap, and I can agree with some schadenfreude on that point.

They were given unprecedented expansion draft terms, which enabled McPhee to strong arm even more favorable terms in no fewer than TEN trades for expansion draft considerations (ie, trade me so-and-so, otherwise I'll select so-and-so).

I mean, what the *****:

Quote

Columbus traded its 2017 1st-round pick (No. 24 overall), its 2019 second-round pick (No. 50 overall) and the contract of (F) David Clarkson for expansion draft considerations (William Karlsson).

GMs were much better prepared the second time.  And the Ron Francis show made some very questionable selections.

 

But anyways, it's been fun watching VGK fall apart, and, for me, that's had nothing to do with Eichel, Carrier, or McNabb.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Lehner I think is under-rated as a goalie when he is on the ice.

I think the bigger issues with him is he can be a pain for Coaches/GMs, and he seems to be prone to injuries.  But when he is on the ice, I think he is a top 10 goalie. 

His loss will hurt Vegas. If they can recover his salary and replace him with someone making what he was, I doubt they will get someone short term as good as he was/is.

Their remaining goaltending options are not good.  They'll try and swing a trade once their LTIR stuff is settled with Lehner/Weber.  The issue becomes... who is going to trade a goalie to them- and why?  Not likely to happen until mid-season.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...