Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #19 Peyton Krebs

dudacek

What do you expect from: #19 Peyton Krebs  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Krebs this year?

• He will be one of the team's bigger disappointments, spending significant time in the press box, or even Rochester
    • He will be with the Sabres all season, and with similar results: 30ish points and a lot of ups and downs
    • He will be a lineup regular and show modest improvement at both ends of the rink
    • He will take a significant step: 50-plus points and a consistently positive impact
  2. 2. What position do you think Krebs will mostly play this year?

3. 3. What position do you think Krebs is best suited to play long-term over his career?

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

. He passes great for sure but idk what else he is truly bringing to the table and hope to get that more defined in his sophomore season. 

He’s a hard forechecker and backchecker who pushes the pace. His lack of strength has mitigated the forechecking aspect at the NHL, but I definitely noticed a huge improvement in this area from his initial AHL stint to his playoff run; he wasn’t getting bumped off pucks near as much.

I think Krebs needs to trust his linemates more. His instinct is to always be the one getting the puck; he’s prone to skating into the same spaces as his teammates. I think it’s a habit picked up from being far and away the best player on bad teams. For the same reason, he’s also prone to hanging on to pucks to create space for his teammates.

It’s why I think he and Olofsson might be a good match. Olofsson doesn’t go get pucks, but finds open ice extremely well.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Casey Mittelstadt has talked about that this summer too, about how they want to be free-flowing and rotating in the o-zone and how the first forward back becomes centre on D.

Makes me wonder what the actual differences are in Donnie’s system. There has to be some, with Tage as Exhibit A.

Right, there has to be some structure but maybe that only applies in the defensive zone. First forward back is the C for all assignments but once the puck exits the zone you should move up the ice as your position if possible. I think they want the C forward protecting the slot with the wingers more free to get backs and the like. 

Then in the ozone, the C is supposed to be in the slot area or covering at the point if a defender pinches where the wings are on the walls or behind the net (in all cases you can switch that up depending on flow). 

Will be interesting to watch this season and the first preseason game showed a lot of movement in the offensive zone. 

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He’s a hard forechecker and backchecker who pushes the pace. His lack of strength has mitigated the forechecking aspect at the NHL, but I definitely noticed a huge improvement in this area from his initial AHL stint to his playoff run; he wasn’t getting bumped off pucks near as much.

I think Krebs needs to trust his linemates more. His instinct is to always be the one getting the puck; he’s prone to skating into the same spaces as his teammates. I think it’s a habit picked up from being far and away the best player on bad teams. For the same reason, he’s also prone to hanging on to pucks to create space for his teammates.

It’s why I think he and Olofsson might be a good match. Olofsson doesn’t go get pucks, but finds open ice extremely well.

This. Alllllll of this. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Casey Mittelstadt has talked about that this summer too, about how they want to be free-flowing and rotating in the o-zone and how the first forward back becomes centre on D.

Makes me wonder what the actual differences are in Donnie’s system. There has to be some, with Tage as Exhibit A.

Not speaking directly to Granato's system, but in general on the forecheck there aren't W's & a C, there are F1, F2, & F3.  F1 takes the body, F2 takes the puck, & F3 stays high in case F1&2 are beat but heads to the net/ open ice lowish when the puck is won & F1 (typically) rotates back up high to now become F3.  And the 3 are always in motion.  If the 2 F's close to the opponent with the puck are a W & a C, it'll usually (but not always) be the W that becomes F1 & the C becomes F2.  The W's spend a bit more time along the boards & usually are better at winning that board battle but not always.  (When Eichel & Olofsson were on the same line, Eichel was way better on the boards than Victor.  And neither Krebs nor Olofsson being particularly good on the hard forecheck might keep the 2 of them apart.)  (Also part of the reason the traditional C Girgensons is so much better at W than C - he's a beast along the boards but has below average vision IMHO.)  And, the C will tend to slide to F3 more often than the W's because F3 becomes the C on a transition into their own zone, at least initially, & also because the C usually has the better vision should the puck squirter out of the board scrum. 

In the other end, yes, that 1st F back becomes the C but at the NHL level because everybody is so fast & also because an NHL goalie will rarely get beat on a clean shot from the blue line the Ws collapse much lower than they do at lower levels of competition.  So, if there is a Skinner that was the 1st man back, he can get rotated back to wing usually fairly easily but if Girgensons were the 1st man back, he just stays at C until they've cleared the zone.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Donnie yesterday confirmed that Krebs, like Casey will be getting time on the wing during camp and they expect each player to be playing either position.

That Cozens appears to be more locked in at C is a positive for me. 

Thompson and Cozens are the guys there, to me, until Savoie passes one. 

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not to mention (but actually, yes, to mention) the fact I’ve been harping on this o-zone free flow thing for a while

35 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That Cozens appears to be more locked in at C is a positive for me. 

Thompson and Cozens are the guys there, to me, until Savoie passes one. 

Not to mention (but actually, yes, to mention) the fact I’ve been harping on this o-zone free flow thing for a while

You and everyone that has any coaching experience at all.  

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

Not speaking directly to Granato's system, but in general on the forecheck there aren't W's & a C, there are F1, F2, & F3.  F1 takes the body, F2 takes the puck, & F3 stays high in case F1&2 are beat but heads to the net/ open ice lowish when the puck is won & F1 (typically) rotates back up high to now become F3.  And the 3 are always in motion.  If the 2 F's close to the opponent with the puck are a W & a C, it'll usually (but not always) be the W that becomes F1 & the C becomes F2.  The W's spend a bit more time along the boards & usually are better at winning that board battle but not always.  (When Eichel & Olofsson were on the same line, Eichel was way better on the boards than Victor.  And neither Krebs nor Olofsson being particularly good on the hard forecheck might keep the 2 of them apart.)  (Also part of the reason the traditional C Girgensons is so much better at W than C - he's a beast along the boards but has below average vision IMHO.)  And, the C will tend to slide to F3 more often than the W's because F3 becomes the C on a transition into their own zone, at least initially, & also because the C usually has the better vision should the puck squirter out of the board scrum. 

In the other end, yes, that 1st F back becomes the C but at the NHL level because everybody is so fast & also because an NHL goalie will rarely get beat on a clean shot from the blue line the Ws collapse much lower than they do at lower levels of competition.  So, if there is a Skinner that was the 1st man back, he can get rotated back to wing usually fairly easily but if Girgensons were the 1st man back, he just stays at C until they've cleared the zone.

Skinner being the first F back,… that’s funny.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.