Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #19 Peyton Krebs

dudacek

What do you expect from: #19 Peyton Krebs  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Krebs this year?

• He will be one of the team's bigger disappointments, spending significant time in the press box, or even Rochester
    • He will be with the Sabres all season, and with similar results: 30ish points and a lot of ups and downs
    • He will be a lineup regular and show modest improvement at both ends of the rink
    • He will take a significant step: 50-plus points and a consistently positive impact
  2. 2. What position do you think Krebs will mostly play this year?

3. 3. What position do you think Krebs is best suited to play long-term over his career?

I have him somewhere  in between modest improvement and significant improvement.   I think he will improve and contribute, but his big jump will be next year.  

If we had more veteran center presence he would most likely play wing.  He could play significant time at center this season.   Long term I can see him developing into a playmaking center.  

My expectation of Krebs is that he will keep working hard on every shift and improving on both ends of the ice.

His points will depend on his finishing which needs improvement but it won't come all at once so i'm expecting moderate increase this season 35-45 points.

On 8/12/2022 at 9:57 AM, LGR4GM said:

I can get here for sure. 

I think Savoie is more likely to fit the Briere role. Krebs needs to take a big step this season because all the drafted centers will close on him quickly if he does not. 

If you are referring to expected point totals, yes Savoie is more likely to be Briere than Krebs will.  Krebs probably fits in more somewhere between Derek Plante & Derek Roy.  But wasn't referring to his scoring, was referring to HOW he'll be deployed / have his greatest opportunity at success when playing C.  And IMHO that will be as a C mainly in name & less in actual deployment.  Briere was not good at the defensive responsibilities of C but he usually didn't need to be because he had guys like Hecht & (until he walked) Dumont on his line & then guys like Leino on his line who could help cover for his defensive deficiencies.

Haven't seen enough of Savoie to know whether he'll need help or not, but just don't see Krebs bulking up to a point where he doesn't need help w/ the defensive responsibilities, though could see his savvy and earnestness at the 200' game being able to mask the deficiencies when he isn't going against top lines.  Could see him centering Mittelstadt or Cozens with his "winger" getting a lot of responsibility in the Sabres end.

On 8/12/2022 at 5:00 PM, freester said:

Krebs is developing into Tim Connolly. He’s just not there yet. Connolly is a much better comparable than Briere or Roy. 

On 8/12/2022 at 11:15 PM, Curt said:

Exactly who he reminds me of as well.

What in his game reminds you of Connolly?  Don't see that at all.  At Krebs age he was REALLY lazy in his own end, which Krebs isn't at all.  

Connolly at that stage also would carry the puck too much before making really dumb passes he was forced into.  The dumb passes Krebs makes aren't a result of overplaying the puck but rather from believing he can put the puck through tighter windows than he can actually do so.

When Connolly took the game seriously after THE lockout his style still seemed different than Krebs IMHO, though maybe there's a similarity there (thus the Q at the top of the post).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

What in his game reminds you of Connolly?  Don't see that at all.  At Krebs age he was REALLY lazy in his own end, which Krebs isn't at all.  

Connolly at that stage also would carry the puck too much before making really dumb passes he was forced into.  The dumb passes Krebs makes aren't a result of overplaying the puck but rather from believing he can put the puck through tighter windows than he can actually do so.

When Connolly took the game seriously after THE lockout his style still seemed different than Krebs IMHO, though maybe there's a similarity there (thus the Q at the top of the post).

For me, it’s a few things.

Similar size/build.  Likes to carry/transition the puck.  Pass first players who don’t score a lot of goals.  Tries to do too much/take too many risks with the puck.  Showing great creativity but also too many turnovers/failed plays.

Of course there will be differences between then as well.  No two players are identical.  But Connolly is the guy who has always jumped to the front of my mind when watching Krebs with the puck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

For me, it’s a few things.

Similar size/build.  Likes to carry/transition the puck.  Pass first players who don’t score a lot of goals.  Tries to do too much/take too many risks with the puck.  Showing great creativity but also too many turnovers/failed plays.

Of course there will be differences between then as well.  No two players are identical.  But Connolly is the guy who has always jumped to the front of my mind when watching Krebs with the puck.

Thanks for that.

Personally, don't see Krebs' gaffes as being as spectacularly 'watch me, I'm the best player out here' which was always my take when Connolly screwed up pre-lockout but more of the 'I've got a teammate w/ a great opportunity if I can thread this through.'  Thought Connolly was a selfish player early and don't see any of that from Krebs.

Also, though Connolly was only a little bigger than him, he increased his strength tremendously before coming back from the lockout.  Not convinced Krebs has the frame for that to be possible.  (Would be very pleased to be wrong about that.)  Timmy matured greatly after the lockout.  Guess the younger Connolly is too etched & it is so different than Krebs to fully see where Krebs path might follow Tim's.  (And hopefully minus the injuries.)

Although he has great vision, I see him making too many mistakes in the offensive zone. Defensively he hustles but also loses battles because he is out muscled. 

I personally see him being passed by both Quinn and JJP this year as far as wingers.

In order to stay at center he has to outplay Mitts.

I can definitely see a situation where either Krebs or Mitts is moved after this year.  

54 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I view Krebs as developing and having Reinharts vision, anticipation and passing ability. It’s just what I remember when watching him last season. He’s not as good yet… But in a year or two I think he will be close.

The problem is that Reinhart also has a good shot, was responsible defensively, and was good along the boards and out front. I need all of those for Krebs to be a top 6 guy. Passing good is awesome but I really hope to see him take a step. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

The problem is that Reinhart also has a good shot, was responsible defensively, and was good along the boards and out front. I need all of those for Krebs to be a top 6 guy. Passing good is awesome but I really hope to see him take a step. 

I recall Reinhart having a muffin of a shot in his first year, he worked at it and really improved. Reinhart is adept at tipping shots and was strong enough to hold his ground. He would also drop back behind the net on the PP and provide another look as a playmaker.

I think Krebs may be quicker/faster than Sam but he has some ground to gain in most skills. This is a big year for him to show improvement and see if he can play C at this level.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Did we know that Krebs was the Sabres 7th leading scoring in the 2nd half of the season?

Ahead of Mittelstadt and Cozens and just behind Okposo?

He led the team with 9 power play assists.

Krebs is really shaping up to be the player that everyone is mad about, even though he's a completely reasonable NHL player. Like, 57th best center playing on the third line.

On 8/28/2022 at 10:34 PM, MattPie said:

Krebs is really shaping up to be the player that everyone is mad about, even though he's a completely reasonable NHL player. Like, 57th best center playing on the third line.

Who was it that had the Connolly comparison?

Even Roy. 

On 8/28/2022 at 5:43 PM, dudacek said:

Did we know that Krebs was the Sabres 7th leading scoring in the 2nd half of the season?

Ahead of Mittelstadt and Cozens and just behind Okposo?

He led the team with 9 power play assists.

I think I am more bullish on Krebsie than others.  He wants the big beautiful house in Clarence, on a wooded lot with an ice rink in his yard.  He wants the beautiful wife and kids.  Great motivation and very grounded. I’m pulling for him to achieve that and carve out a nice career in Buffalo.   

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is probably the most appropriate thread for the conversation. 

Krebs ability to pass is nice but the problem is that is a one trick pony type of thing. Teams will know to shade towards the passing option and Krebs will have to develop additional deception to be effective long term. A lot you are bringing up the AHL and his playoff performance which is a reason I still hope he can transition to center and Granato may start him there but his overall game away from the puck needs improvements. He passes great for sure but idk what else he is truly bringing to the table and hope to get that more defined in his sophomore season. 

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Donnie yesterday confirmed that Krebs, like Casey will be getting time on the wing during camp and they expect each player to be playing either position.

Was actually listening to Sabres Live the other day and Biron was talking about how outside of faceoffs and some minor things, the center is really just whichever forward is the 2nd to enter the zone and the first to exit it or something like that. Basically you rotate in or out depending on the flow of the shift as opposed to rigidly sticking to your spot. Considering all the talk of Wingers at Center, this seems right. 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Was actually listening to Sabres Live the other day and Biron was talking about how outside of faceoffs and some minor things, the center is really just whichever forward is the 2nd to enter the zone and the first to exit it or something like that. Basically you rotate in or out depending on the flow of the shift as opposed to rigidly sticking to your spot. Considering all the talk of Wingers at Center, this seems right. 

Casey Mittelstadt has talked about that this summer too, about how they want to be free-flowing and rotating in the o-zone and how the first forward back becomes centre on D.

Makes me wonder what the actual differences are in Donnie’s system. There has to be some, with Tage as Exhibit A.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.