Jump to content

Sabres Sign Forward Riley Sheahan to a Two Way Deal; 950k


Brawndo
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Sign Forward Riley Sheahan to a Two Way Deal; 950k
25 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Who ??

Former Red Wing 1st round pick, almost a decade the NHL, played for the Sabres in 2020-21, 50% career faceoff guy.  Most likely a depth player or 4th line center.  Not great but plays the game right and has decent size.  Good size at 6'-2", 216 lb.

Local boy from St. Catharines, ON.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This, this is exactly what I was talking about.

Nothing wrong at all with Sheahan as a serviceable 4th line centre, or a guy who can sit in the press box, or a veteran leader in Rochester. If he gets plucked on waivers - the $950,000 makes it less likely - oh well, thanks for coming.

He replaces Eakin and/or Jankowski and is probably an upgrade in either role.

And the bonus is this likely means Anders Bjork will only play because of injury, or poor play from Quinn and Peterka. And that’s a role where he’s as good as any.

 

  • Like (+1) 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This also means the Sabres have 12 actual NHL forwards for the 1st time in recent memory - 14 if Quinn and Peterka are as good as we think they are.

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Olofsson Mittelstadt Asplund

Krebs Cozens Okposo

Girgensons Sheahan Hinostroza

I mean there are many guys in the top nine who have things to prove, but they are real NHLers and they also give you plenty of reasons to be hopeful. 
And the 4th line is across-the-board better than the fringe-level Bjork Eakin Hayden group we ran last year. Heck, Zemgus and Vinnie are 3rd liners on many NHL teams.

And depth! With JJ and Jack sending guys to the press box or being the next guys up, our forward corps should be JAG-free 90 percent of the games this season, instead of last year’s, well, never.

This makes me irrationally happy.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This also means the Sabres have 12 actual NHL forwards for the 1st time in recent memory - 14 if Quinn and Peterka are as good as we think they are.

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Olofsson Mittelstadt Asplund

Krebs Cozens Okposo

Girgensons Sheahan Hinostroza

I mean there are many guys in the top nine who have things to prove, but they are real NHLers and they also give you plenty of reasons to be hopeful. 
And the 4th line is across-the-board better than the fringe-level Bjork Eakin Hayden group we ran last year. Heck, Zemgus and Vinnie are 3rd liners on many NHL teams.

And depth! With JJ and Jack sending guys to the press box or being the next guys up, our forward corps should be JAG-free 90 percent of the games this season, instead of last year’s, well, never.

This makes me irrationally happy.

Sheahan is kinda of a JAG.  He is a step down from even Vinnie.  On the plus side, I do remember him being reasonably solid defensively.  He is also a little highly pricey for KA, maybe 950K is the new 750K.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sheahan is kinda of a JAG.  He is a step down from even Vinnie.  On the plus side, I do remember him being reasonably solid defensively.  He is also a little highly pricey for KA, maybe 950K is the new 750K.

He’s significantly better than Eakin from an analytics standpoint and played well for us 2 years ago. 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems like a pretty good signing (assuming that he is going to fill that tweener role b/w Rochester/Buffalo).  Could definitely do a lot worse, we certainly had worse players in those final forward slots last year 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

He’s significantly better than Eakin from an analytics standpoint and played well for us 2 years ago. 

Better than Bjork too.

They know him and he must have been a positive influence in his first stint. Probably wanted to play there on his “last” contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sheahan was solid (in a limited 4th line role) two seasons ago and that's what is expected. He was also fine last year for Seattle.

I think he's an upgrade over Eakin. He works the boards well and is a solid veteran influence for the kids. He's a good player and probably ends up in 60 games and nets 10-15 points.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

 

They should've brought him back last year to be able to punt Eakin into the sun for good (minus that late December/January spell when every F was broken, but we digress).

Would love to see another guy better than him brought in, but now when injuries hit they've got another actual NHLer ready to step in at 4C.  And if nobody beats him out at that slot, they know they have an NHLer there and can keep Girgensons at W where he belongs and Asplund at W where he likely belongs.

The only sad thing about this signing is it would seem to indicate Adams is into the stocking of the fringe portion of the roster (as if the 3 AHL tweener D signings didn't already let us know that's where he's at) when there's still room for upgrades higher up.

Realistically, he'll get 30-40 games and hold his own there.  Glad he's back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Seattle didn't want him back, but we did. Sure. Why not. Another wasted season. 

It's not even assured that Sheahan will be on the NHL roster. And if he is he will at best be a marginal fourth line role player. Why so much fretting over at best a depth player? If he is better than our current depth role players, then what's the complaint? Getting marginally better is better than not getting marginal better!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Seattle didn't want him back, but we did. Sure. Why not. Another wasted season. 

Signing Sheahan doesn't waste the season, but yes he is a another JAG. Hopefully he's now the team's 14th forward.  We could do worse for a 14th forward.  Honestly with Malone (2 NHL games), Murray (21) and Biro (1) as our depth with at least some NHL experience in Rochester, it's not a huge surprise this move was made.  Riley's 635 NHL games has value.

48 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Eh, some depth.  Not what I was looking for in a C but as mentioned he should kick Bjork to the curb. 

Yep.  This is the bigger bright spot of the signing for me.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...