Updated: Andrea Skinner Has Submitted Her Resignation as Chairperson for Hockey Canada

Brawndo

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Boy oh boy she did not come off good in front of parliament questioning and has in fact made this thing even worse. Every major sponsor now pulling out, plus provincial funding, this organization is all but dead. 

Her standing by and defending the current leadership was really really sad to see. 

Yea, when she backed the current executive committee and said something along the lines of changes there aren't needed, I was like holy crap are you wrong. 

Also this started to happen and needs to happen. Don't fund Hockey Canada until they get the message. The rich and powerful speak only one language, money. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea, when she backed the current executive committee and said something along the lines of changes there aren't needed, I was like holy crap are you wrong. 

Also this started to happen and needs to happen. Don't fund Hockey Canada until they get the message. The rich and powerful speak only one language, money. 

Hockey Quebec also issued a similar statement pulling their registration fees. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I’m doubtful that Hockey Canada will survive this without a full restructuring.  A complete clean sweep of the board of directors and management.

They clearly do not understand what the organization’s path forward needs to look like.  They take no responsibility for any wrong-doing, they don’t acknowledge that change needs to happen,  they don’t even understand that they should lie or make empty promises about making change.  They truly do not understand the situation they are in.

The fact that this is the case is, as you say, pure insanity.

How can this be?  Is it just that Hockey Canada is accustomed to being untouchable?  As a powerful national body in a country where the sport is an ingrained part of the culture, do they feel that they are not beholden to anyone?

As an American, I probably didn’t have the most complete grasp on how all encompassing and pervasive Hockey Canada is (was?) throughout all levels of hockey in Canada.  I’m kind of just learning now how deep they have their hooks into the sport throughout the country.  They obviously don’t agree with the old adage of “With great power comes great responsibility.”  If they continue refusing to take any responsibility, they are not going maintain any power for much longer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

As an American, I probably didn’t have the most complete grasp on how all encompassing and pervasive Hockey Canada is (was?) throughout all levels of hockey in Canada. 

USA Hockey is just as ingrained as Hockey Canada is. Most is this is due to insurance reasons and coaching certification, but I'm sure there are other reasons. I'm not sure there are any non-professional leagues not associated with either or in some capacity.

This is terrible and keeps getting worse.

I really thought that she would take immediate steps to clean this mess up.  They (whoever they are) got to her.

Hockey Canada should be shut down.  Fire everybody and have the provinces run their own associations and just have a consutant firm organize when a Team Canada has to compete internationally or host an international tournament.  We do not need a Canada wide organization for this.

6 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

This is terrible and keeps getting worse.

I really thought that she would take immediate steps to clean this mess up.  They (whoever they are) got to her.

Hockey Canada should be shut down.  Fire everybody and have the provinces run their own associations and just have a consutant firm organize when a Team Canada has to compete internationally or host an international tournament.  We do not need a Canada wide organization for this.

I don't think they got to her. I think she, like them, doesn't get it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think they got to her. I think she, like them, doesn't get it.

They definitely don't get it, and to a large extent they want it to remain buried and covered up. On TSN today they were talking about a freedom of information request that was made quite some time ago that has been in the courts with Hockey Canada fighting hard to keep the information private. I don't have detailed facts on that and it sounded a bit weird but there is more going on here than we have been told or heard about, that is obvious. 

• Agree 1

It’s a non profit gravy train. Decades of back scratching and favor trading. Of course nobody wants to give it up without a fight. 

if it were America it would survive. Canadian sponsors all jumping ship caught them off guard.  Even the PM is involved in the barrage

Hockey Canada is dead. Canada Hockey is free money for whoever is quickest to it 

• Brawndo changed the title to Updated: Andrea Skinner Has Submitted Her Resignation as Chairperson for Hockey Canada
17 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

She certainly didn’t help herself, but also seems like she got a raw deal.

She obviously wasn’t speaking off the cuff.  She was representing the opinions of organizational leadership when she spoke.  And as soon as there was public backlash, the organization scapegoated her.  This better be followed up by a long list of additional resignations, or it’s meaningless.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Curt said:

She certainly didn’t help herself, but also seems like she got a raw deal.

She obviously wasn’t speaking off the cuff.  She was representing the opinions of organizational leadership when she spoke.  And as soon as there was public backlash, the organization scapegoated her.  This better be followed up by a long list of additional resignations, or it’s meaningless.

With the number of sponsors that have publicly bailed plus the extent of the general backlash, can't see how she's the only one gone.  But wouldn't be surprised if the next chair is given the opportunity to accept/force the resignations to get some degree of public support and start out on the right foot.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe she is making so much at OnlyFans she has no time for this anymore?

On 10/7/2022 at 8:46 AM, LGR4GM said:

Why would non-hockey families care?

57 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Maybe she is making so much at OnlyFans she has no time for this anymore?

Why would non-hockey families care?

Why would they care?

Just a shot in the dark: Maybe they have a good sense of the difference between right and wrong.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.