Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #31 Eric Comrie

dudacek

What do you expect from Eric Comrie?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Comrie this year?

• Mostly a disaster - he will prove incapable of anything more than spot starts
    • A rerun of last year’s Anderson/Tokarski show, where he’s OK but certainly not the answer
    • Not a difference-maker, but a clear and modest improvement over last year’s tandem
    • Legitimate NHL starter-level competence for 50-plus games

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I expected nothing.  I listen to what Adams is saying and this rebuild is going to continue for years with almost all home grown talent.  

Would have liked MAF or Kuemper or Husso, but that wasn’t going to happen.  Vanecek or Campbell, but that wasn’t going to happen either.  

Comrie is worth a shot.  Doubt he would “block” UPL from getting a shot.  (God forbid our prospects outplay a real NHL Player).  

Yeah I think a guy like Comrie is what we should have expected.  Hopefully a late-bloomer who at-worst is a bridge until Levi is ready.  I'm not high on UPL but he should get some chances.

The most likely reason I see KA keeping some cap space gun-powder dry for a UFA/Trade G “overpay if necessary” is because we DO know solid GT will be a must by that time (if the rest of the roster develops to plan), yet DON’T know that “until” is functionally accurate in a “until Levi is ready” sentence. Levi is no guarantee, so a reasonable plan B needs to be, and I assume is, in place.

It’s not that KA feels the need for that “A” tender on the roster right now, but I do think he sees the need for it in the not too distant future.

On 8/11/2022 at 3:57 PM, Thorny said:

The most likely reason I see KA keeping some cap space gun-powder dry for a UFA/Trade G “overpay if necessary” is because we DO know solid GT will be a must by that time (if the rest of the roster develops to plan), yet DON’T know that “until” is functionally accurate in a “until Levi is ready” sentence. Levi is no guarantee, so a reasonable plan B needs to be, and I assume is, in place.

It’s not that KA feels the need for that “A” tender on the roster right now, but I do think he sees the need for it in the not too distant future.

Agree w/ this in large part.

Really think he believes that Levi can be THAT guy, but even if he isn't he knows that when the skaters are ready, they will need GTing.  But really not convinced that he thinks they need THAT guy.  Expect he believes that with enough tickets, he can find one that can get hot enough at the right time.  (Again, his SC ring came courtesy of Ward & Gerber behind a playoff roster that only lost 1 man game in 4 rounds from what it started with.  (And Eric friggin' Cole was the injury replacement.))

He's lived 'meh' goalies getting hot at the right time behind enough firepower.  Still believe that's a large part why the Sabres have Bales, he's made 'meh' goalies good enough in the past. 

On 8/15/2022 at 11:37 AM, Taro T said:

Agree w/ this in large part.

Really think he believes that Levi can be THAT guy, but even if he isn't he knows that when the skaters are ready, they will need GTing.  But really not convinced that he thinks they need THAT guy.  Expect he believes that with enough tickets, he can find one that can get hot enough at the right time.  (Again, his SC ring came courtesy of Ward & Gerber behind a playoff roster that only lost 1 man game in 4 rounds from what it started with.  (And Eric friggin' Cole was the injury replacement.))

He's lived 'meh' goalies getting hot at the right time behind enough firepower.  Still believe that's a large part why the Sabres have Bales, he's made 'meh' goalies good enough in the past. 

If he’s okay with “meh” goalies, I would expect his approach to the position, and the adds we see him make, it be more less of the variety we’ve already seen, with our chance to get a real good one dependant on luck, from a Comrie or draft pick exploding. No trades/signings of bonafide, established #1s.

Kinda hope that’s not the case. Strategy is all well and good if the dice rolls well on Levi, but if it doesn’t, and if you are correct, Adams’ approach to land us a gerber/ward probably lands us a gerber/ward, and I’d rather have something more solid instead of trying to capture the success Carolina had in large part due to injury luck. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

If he’s okay with “meh” goalies, I would expect his approach to the position, and the adds we see him make, it be more less of the variety we’ve already seen, with our chance to get a real good one dependant on luck, from a Comrie or draft pick exploding. No trades/signings of bonafide, established #1s.

Kinda hope that’s not the case. Strategy is all well and good if the dice rolls well on Levi, but if it doesn’t, and if you are correct, Adams’ approach to land us a gerber/ward probably lands us a gerber/ward, and I’d rather have something more solid instead of trying to capture the success Carolina had in large part due to injury luck. 

Absolutely hoping it's not the case and it very well might not be the case but just read the tea leaves wrong.  But until he actually goes after a goalie that is clearly likely to be what we're all hoping for, he hasn't done so and regardless of our hoping he'll do what he's going to do.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I guess a better question would be how many certifiably #1s are even in the league at this point?

• Like (+1) 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

The NHL Network is expecting big things 

They expect Comrie to breakout, but don't expect Dahlin to do so as well?

How, does the goalie "breakout" without his #1 D doing so as well?  (Unless they're either defining top 10 breakouts much more loosely than they should or claiming Ras already broke out,  that doesn't jibe.)

• dudacek changed the title to Annual expectations thread 2022/23: #31 Eric Comrie
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.