Another centre needed?

dudacek

31 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I personally still would want JJP, Quinn and Krebs to form a top dominant line with Amerks and play in all situations.  Let them be call ups and fill in as top 6 for injuries. I feel playing them down on third line does not help their development as much as seeing lots of ice time in AHL.  Krebs and Quinn could use another year to build strength they need to compete every day in the NHL.  

Why not sign a guy like Motte to a 1 year deal for $2 million. 

Skinner, Thompson, Tuch

Asplund, Mitts, Olofsson

Hinny, Cozens,  Okposo

Girgs, Sheahan, Motte

I have had enough with JAGs. I don’t think they need Motte.

Krebs, Quinn and Peterka still have some growing to do but they have nothing to prove at the AHL level except scoring championships and the Calder Cup. If Sheahan and Bjork beat these guys for spots at camp, then KA needs to reassess and deal with that. 
These young guns won’t come in and be all stars but they have a higher ceiling than JAGs. They have some skills that are better than many current NHLers, plus an upside.

• Agree 4

35 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I have had enough with JAGs. I don’t think they need Motte.

Krebs, Quinn and Peterka still have some growing to do but they have nothing to prove at the AHL level except scoring championships and the Calder Cup. If Sheahan and Bjork beat these guys for spots at camp, then KA needs to reassess and deal with that. 
These young guns won’t come in and be all stars but they have a higher ceiling than JAGs. They have some skills that are better than many current NHLers, plus an upside.

I am only saying that having too many rookies on a team can also really hurt development as they can not gain the experience of winning.

Potential 1st or 2nd year players on team. 

Krebs

Quinn

JJP

Samuelsson

Fitzgerald

13 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I am only saying that having too many rookies on a team can also really hurt development as they can not gain the experience of winning.

Krebs

Quinn

JJP

Samuelsson

Fitzgerald

This team had Kordic, Roy, Lemieux, Richer, McPhee, Chelios, Skrudland, Kurvers, Svoboda, Lalor, Maley and Dahlin as 1st and 2nd year players.

Won the Stanley Cup.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000451986.html

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This team had Kordic, Roy, Lemieux, Richer, McPhee, Chelios, Skrudland, Kurvers, Svoboda, Lalor, Maley and Dahlin as 1st and 2nd year players.

Won the Stanley Cup.

I wonder if Kjell Dahlin is a relative of Rasmus.

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Which C, D, and G should they have signed?

Kind of a moot point because if I name a player, they signed elsewhere, so you can say they wouldn't have signed here etc etc but the reality is you just don't know what negotiations could bring (or even trades). There were options, especially in goal. If Campbell couldn't have been persuaded I would have gone after Husso and/or Vanacek (maybe both) .  

So there isn't much left, but you could still sign Kadri and Subban and this team would be a better team for the next couple years than it is now. Not ideal choices, but not a concern as I doubt there's any additions at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Won the Stanley Cup.

That team also had Bobby Smith, Larry Robinson, Carbonneau, Gainey, Trembley, Deblois.  That was a hell of a veteran core around those kids.  

Our veteran core around the kids is Okposo, Skinner, Tuch, Anderson. It’s not unreasonable to question whether there is enough cagey veterans on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

We need a more recent example. I just celebrated a birthday that made me feel old and that Cup happened several months prior to it. 

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

That team also had Bobby Smith, Larry Robinson, Carbonneau, Gainey, Trembley, Deblois.  That was a hell of a veteran core around those kids.  

Our veteran core around the kids is Okposo, Skinner, Tuch, Anderson. It’s not unreasonable to question whether there is enough cagey veterans on the roster.

And Roy. 

21 hours ago, ddaryl said:

They grew last year and finished strong... I think they''re ready

Tage grew and so did Dahlin.   They each took a step and have more to go. 

Mitts, Cozens, Krebs, Samuelsson - still have to take that big step in their game. 

Unproven are Quinn and Peterka as they will be rookies.  UPL is essentially a rookie too. 

They should be fun to watch.  

Edit:  I forgot Power, another rookie.   This team is loaded with young players.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Krebs

Quinn

JJP

Samuelsson

Fitzgerald

Power too

51 minutes ago, Weave said:

Absolutely.

If you follow the thread back to the original post I responded to, it was that Quinn Peterka and Krebs should be in the minors because having too many rookies hurts development.

My point - it doesn’t have to - still stands.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Kind of a moot point because if I name a player, they signed elsewhere, so you can say they wouldn't have signed here etc etc but the reality is you just don't know what negotiations could bring (or even trades). There were options, especially in goal. If Campbell couldn't have been persuaded I would have gone after Husso and/or Vanacek (maybe both) .  

So there isn't much left, but you could still sign Kadri and Subban and this team would be a better team for the next couple years than it is now. Not ideal choices, but not a concern as I doubt there's any additions at all. 

My view is the reverse of yours.  I did not see any name UFA signing here.  IMHO, because it is not clear that the Sabres are out of the woods after The Tank, the only way they could get a top free-agent would be to overpay someone for overly long.  Adams clearly wants to hold money back for over the next few seasons for players on a roster he clearly believes.

• Agree 1

I along with many (not all) fans do not expect this team to make the playoffs, so let's the kids play and develop with the understanding they WILL make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.   IMHO there are enough center possibilities on the roster that we have to play them there to see what they can become, ala Tage last year. 

I know this is a center thread, but I would rather see the team obtain another skilled/fast big power forward who can help our young centers develop faster. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

My view is the reverse of yours.  I did not see any name UFA signing here.  IMHO, because it is not clear that the Sabres are out of the woods after The Tank, the only way they could get a top free-agent would be to overpay someone for overly long.  Adams clearly wants to hold money back for over the next few seasons for players on a roster he clearly believes.

Hence the paradox. You can't sign big names because they don't believe you have a wining team and you need big names to have that winning team (until the kids develop fully) . If you sign one, perhaps you convince others and you do turn that corner.

The term might be the point of contention. otherwise I see no reason not to overpay a few people shorter term to resolve that issue and turn the corner. 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Absolutely.

If you follow the thread back to the original post I responded to, it was that Quinn Peterka and Krebs should be in the minors because having too many rookies hurts development.

My point - it doesn’t have to - still stands.

It does require enough good vets to bring the kids along.  We could use another.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Weave said:

It does require enough good vets to bring the kids along.  We could use another.

Does it? What is “enough?”

Are you going to tell me Kane, Toews, Sharp, Byfuglien, Seabrook, Keith, Ladd, Bolland and Hjalmarsson’s development was crushed because Robert Lang, Brent Sopel Marty Lapointe and Yanic Perreault were all they had to lean on in 2008?

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000352008.html

The Hawks got 88 points that year. A case could be made that the Sabres are at a very similar point in their development, if the kids are actually good. Kevyn Adams should have some insight, he was that team’s Riley Sheahan.

Good environments matter, but not as much as good players. And the environment here is good. Let’s see how good the players are.

(I actually agree with the idea we could use another, I just disagree that we require it.)

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'll rephrase to help. Let's pretend any player you name wants to be here. Who do you feel the Sabres should have brought in at C, D, G. Only ufas apply. 

3 hours ago, Weave said:

At some point, you have to see which kids can sink or swim. They aren't all rookies like Quinn and Peterka. They need challenges and failures, the trick is they have a different mental makeup so instead of wallowing in self pity like Eichel and ROR, guys like Cozens look for ways to be a solution. 

You've all bitched about grit and toughness for a decade. It starts with mental grit and toughness. I don't think adding one more vet moves that needle and if does, that speaks to bigger problems. 

I think we have enough good vets and finally, enough good kids.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

At some point, you have to see which kids can sink or swim. They aren't all rookies like Quinn and Peterka. They need challenges and failures, the trick is they have a different mental makeup so instead of wallowing in self pity like Eichel and ROR, guys like Cozens look for ways to be a solution. 

You've all bitched about grit and toughness for a decade. It starts with mental grit and toughness. I don't think adding one more vet moves that needle and if does, that speaks to bigger problems. 

I think we have enough good vets and finally, enough good kids.

They might now and really expect that in a year they will and that they're 2 years from really being able to do some damage. 

But see nothing at all wrong with having some additional assets to account for the inevitable injuries & to make sure they don't end up just wasting well over $10MM in cap space & to give even more internal competition.  Probably really sounds strange, but looking forward to teams poaching a player or 2 the Sabres try to send to Ra-cha-cha; when that starts happening again, it'll almost definitely correlate to the Sabres being able to roll 4 lines & 6 D even w/ an average amount of injuries.

If Adams isn't going to use the space on assets that can help today he needs to buy some more Bishops and the accompanying picks to not just watch that cap space evaporate come April.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Monahan available for future considerations or cheap if Flames are signing Kadri.

Good on face-offs.  I think he will start year on IR but could be good insurance.  Good vet guy from Ontario, so I am sure he would like to be close to home. 

Monahan is being traded to Montreal. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.