Another centre needed?

dudacek

Casey Mittelstadt has played most of his 195 NHL games at centre.

Dylan Cozens maybe 100 and Tage Thompson 78? Krebs a handful?

Asplund and Girgs played centre as rookies, but barely at all since.

The Rochester depth chart at the moment is Malone/Biro/Pekar and that’s it. The latter two were wingers last year.

I just think some veteran insurance in the form of a Jankowski or Eakin type tweener would come in handy. A Johan Larsson/Curtis Lazar type would be even better.

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The Rochester depth chart at the moment is Malone/Biro/Pekar and that’s it. The latter two were wingers last year.

I just think some veteran insurance in the form of a Jankowski or Eakin type tweener would come in handy. A Johan Larsson/Curtis Lazar type would be even better.

Jankowski and Lazar have already signed and to me Eakin is a non-starter in a vet 4C

23 hours ago, dudacek said:

No better way to gain experience than playing.  As we have learned from DG's shift of TnT to center, he has a pretty good handle on who should be playing center and who shouldn't.  I've come to trust DG's judgement in that regard.  

I also doubt Stastny would come here without a nearly guaranteed spot in the starting 12.  KA has made it pretty clear that slow and steady wins the rebuild.  He is going to give Mitts, Cozens and Krebs every chance to prove they are NHL centers before seeking outside help.  

Could this organization use more veteran depth at center?  Certainly.  Would I like to see Bjork kicked to the curb and replaced by a center willing to take on a depth role to stay in the NHL.  Sure.  Do I think it will happen.  Doubtful.  As to Rochester, I agree their isn't enough depth there, but I think the plan is to see where Rosen and Kulich are before making a move there.  I believe KA wants Rosen in Rochester and will give him a shot at center.  I also believe management wants to see if Kulich is Rochester ready and if he is, then they'll give him a center job as well.  Ultimately your Rochester centers could be Malone, Rosen, Kulich and Pekar with Biro moved back to his natural LW slot.    

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No better way to gain experience than playing.  As we have learned from DG's shift of TnT to center, he has a pretty good handle on who should be playing center and who shouldn't.  I've come to trust DG's judgement in that regard.  

I also doubt Stastny would come here without a nearly guaranteed spot in the starting 12.  KA has almost made it pretty clear that slow and steady wins the rebuild.  He is going to give Mitts, Cozens and Krebs every chance to prove they are NHL centers before seeking outside help.  

Could this organization use more veteran depth at center?  Certainly.  Would I like to see Bjork kicked to the curb and replaced by a center willing to take on a depth role to stay in the NHL.  Sure.  Do I think it will happen.  Doubtful.  As to Rochester, I agree their isn't enough depth there, but I think the plan is to see where Rosen and Kulich are before making a move there.  I believe KA wants Rosen in Rochester and will give him a shot at center.  I also believe management wants to see if Kulich is Rochester ready and if he is, then they'll give him a center job as well.  Ultimately your Rochester centers could be Malone, Rosen, Kulich and Pekar with Biro moved back to his natural LW slot.    

Sadly, this is where I wanted Artuu to be.

• Like (+1) 1

If you want a rent-a-center, what about Barzal?  He might be available cheap if the Isles want Kadri.   UFA in two years and RFA next summer.  And the Sabres don’t care about the cap this year.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

Truth be told, another C, another D, & another G are all needed.

Expect we'll probably see the C that grabs the 4C role brought in but expect the ship has sailed on the other 2.  They seem to prefer Asplund & Girgensons at W & expect 1 of Cozens, Mittelstadt, & Krebs to also play W which makes a big shiny hole in the roster for that 12th F.  Hope that it would be a higher talent C come in so then they could run 3 scoring lines with a scoring checking line comprised of Cozens, Okposo, & either Girgensons or Asplund on the left side, but doubt that comes to pass.

And to those saying we really don't need to be worrying about how to fit a 12th NHLer into this roster, have been on THAT band wagon for a long while.  Hoping Adams is there too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Truth be told, another C, another D, & another G are all needed.

Expect we'll probably see the C that grabs the 4C role brought in but expect the ship has sailed on the other 2.  They seem to prefer Asplund & Girgensons at W & expect 1 of Cozens, Mittelstadt, & Krebs to also play W which makes a big shiny hole in the roster for that 12th F.  Hope that it would be a higher talent C come in so then they could run 3 scoring lines with a scoring checking line comprised of Cozens, Okposo, & either Girgensons or Asplund on the left side, but doubt that comes to pass.

And to those saying we really don't need to be worrying about how to fit a 12th NHLer into this roster, have been on THAT band wagon for a long while.  Hoping Adams is there too.

I would like to start winning more games, so Yes.   We need another C, and one that can play a 200 foot game and help close out games.   Whenever I say this people tell me that this role will be Cozens, and I say make him earn it, not get it by default.  

We also need another RHD that could push 6/7/8 spots.  

Goalie - at the risk of sounding like a broken record a(dated term ) know),  we need another goalie.  

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Probably not much.  They're gonna have to dump someone (him or Bailey) if they want Kadri.

I think Barzal is rightly viewed as an elite player. If the Isles are looking to add Kadri it is as their 2nd line C behind Barzal. I doubt he would be available unless there are off-ice issues that have them wanting to get rid of him. Even then the asking price would be steep. 

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

I think Barzal is rightly viewed as an elite player. If the Isles are looking to add Kadri it is as their 2nd line C behind Barzal. I doubt he would be available unless there are off-ice issues that have them wanting to get rid of him. Even then the asking price would be steep. 

The articles I read yesterday suggest otherwise.  Here's one of them:  https://thehockeynews.com/news/could-the-islanders-trade-mathew-barzal-to-make-room-for-nazem-kadri

IF, and that is an if, they want Kadri, they are going to have to make some sacrifices.  Trading Barzal a year from free agency for a mid-round pick may be less painful than trading Bailey and a draft pick for future considerations.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Probably not much.  They're gonna have to dump someone (him or Bailey) if they want Kadri.

Why do you think that?  The Isles have over $11m in cap space, with two RFA’s to sign. Dobson you could bridge as he isn’t arbitration eligible, and Romanov is 10.2c.  What is the expected Kadri AAV? I think if they move anyone it would be a $3-4M contract, not one of their core. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The articles I read yesterday suggest otherwise.  Here's one of them:  https://thehockeynews.com/news/could-the-islanders-trade-mathew-barzal-to-make-room-for-nazem-kadri

IF, and that is an if, they want Kadri, they are going to have to make some sacrifices.  Trading Barzal a year from free agency for a mid-round pick may be less painful than trading Bailey and a draft pick for future considerations.

Interesting. I don't see how the Isles get significantly better short or long term by signing Kadri and trading Barzal.  I hope they ship Barzal out west.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

53 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not sure Barzal is elite, but he is a very good player and I think still viewed by the Isles as a core guy.  I will be pretty surprised if they trade him as a cap dump.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'm not sure Barzal is elite, but he is a very good player and I think still viewed by the Isles as a core guy.  I will be pretty surprised if they trade him as a cap dump.

I would be very surprised if the Isles traded Barzal, and even more surprised if the Sabres were to go after him. That being said, Cozens-Barzal-Asplund/Tuch would be an great 2 way second line. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Why do you think that?  The Isles have over $11m in cap space, with two RFA’s to sign. Dobson you could bridge as he isn’t arbitration eligible, and Romanov is 10.2c.  What is the expected Kadri AAV? I think if they move anyone it would be a $3-4M contract, not one of their core. 

The answer is in the linked article.

14 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Long term I take Barzal over Kadri. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Team doesn’t need a center and it especially doesn’t need a JAG. A right wing vet maybe. A very skilled vet center sure. But It’s not a need, just a luxury and we can afford it. Has to be mutual tho and I’m not sure the league has quite bought into Granato. Gonna take one more season before the UFAs come. 

We don’t need JAGs, this is true.  The Sabres drafted 3 centers in the first round because they know they need help at C.  They have no top tier Center talent in Rochester and the players they have in the NHL right now are not really proven yet.  

Until Mitts, or Cozens, or Krebs break out the need at center is there.  I see Asplund or Girgs as wingers with some ability to play center in a pinch. 

A skilled vet center is a need we could have afforded and not killed our cap situation but as you stated, signing one at the right price is difficult for a bottom feeder in the midst of a slow rebuild, and with a first time GM and HC at the helm. 

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

We don’t need JAGs, this is true.  The Sabres drafted 3 centers in the first round because they know they need help at C.  They have no top tier Center talent in Rochester and the players they have in the NHL right now are not really proven yet.  

Until Mitts, or Cozens, or Krebs break out the need at center is there.  I see Asplund or Girgs as wingers with some ability to play center in a pinch. 

A skilled vet center is a need we could have afforded and not killed our cap situation but as you stated, signing one at the right price is difficult for a bottom feeder in the midst of a slow rebuild, and with a first time GM and HC at the helm. 

I think the need at center is there, but only if you were trying to win a Stanley Cup next year.  

Since the Sabres philosophy is to “play up” from the player’s current level, it makes total sense to have Mitts, Cozens, Krebs to play center and learn on the fly behind Tage. The team does not want to block this development. 

Just have to hope people stay healthy, or a move will be required (including propping up the C position in ROC).  

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I think the need at center is there, but only if you were trying to win a Stanley Cup next year.  

Since the Sabres philosophy is to “play up” from the player’s current level, it makes total sense to have Mitts, Cozens, Krebs to play center and learn on the fly behind Tage. The team does not want to block this development. 

Just have to hope people stay healthy, or a move will be required (including propping up the C position in ROC).  

Play up from where to where?  

How about making Mitts, or Cozens, or Krebs progress and beat out a solid NHL center, therefore earning the job?  Wouldn’t that be “playing up”?  

Hoping to stay healthy never happens.  Hope is not a plan. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.