Jump to content

Another centre needed?


dudacek
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is it just me, or should the Sabres be in the market for another centre?

I mean, theoretically they should be fine with Thompson/Krebs/Cozens/Mitts, Girgensons moving over in a pinch and Biro and Malone down on the farm.

But personally, I prefer Girgs on the wing, and I’d like to see the first 4 all in the top 9, with one of them moving outside.

And while Biro and Malone are fine to fill in, I don’t see either as the 4C on opening night and Rochester looks very thin beyond that.

For all his issues, Cody Eakin played 69 games at centre for Buffalo last year, while Jankowski and R2 combined for 37 NHL games and were the top 2 centres in Rochester.

All 3 are gone and we haven’t added another centre to the system to replace them.

Should we?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Is it just me, or should the Sabres be in the market for another centre?

I mean, theoretically they should be fine with Thompson/Krebs/Cozens/Mitts, Girgensons moving over in a pinch and Biro and Malone down on the farm.

But personally, I prefer Girgs on the wing, and I’d like to see the first 4 all in the top 9, with one of them moving outside.

And while Biro and Malone are fine in a pinch, I don’t see either as the 4C on opening night and Rochester looks very thin beyond that.

For all his issues, Cody Eakin played 69 games at centre for Buffalo last year, while Jankowski and R2 combined for 37 NHL games and were the top 2 centres in Rochester.

All 3 are gone and we haven’t added another centre to the system to replace them.

Should we?

I believe they are still looking for that guy

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I'm GMKA I am asking Paul Statsny to be a mentor for the young guys and come to Buffalo to be the #4 center between Girgs and Okposo.

Give him a 1 year deal at $2 million.  He is good at face offs and could move up the line up if injuries arise. 

 

Brian Boyle, Derick Brassard, Derek Stepan, and Riley Sheahan would all be cheaper options around league minimum.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is an element of hope built into the center spine.  Hope TT is the real deal.  Hope Cozens continues to blossom.  Hope Mitts stays healthy and his skills translate more consistently.  Hope Krebs develops towards his ceiling.

There are no sure things in our center spine.  The reassurance of a sure thing would be welcome.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

As I’ve asked before when we discuss adding another forward, who are you sending down or out?

Who cares?  If they can’t beat out a journeyman, what’s the loss?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As I’ve asked before when we discuss adding another forward, who are you sending down or out?

And I’ll say it again: we’ll simply move a player to IR. 

The offseason discussions where we pretend it’s a video game and we’ll have all our collectible players on hand is fun, but not rooted in realism. 

Dollars to donuts the “who do we send down?” issue is a moot point 

The “we don’t have room” arguments are so, so far off the mark.

- - - 

There’ll be room. They know there’ll be room. That’s why injuries, as ever, aren’t an excuse. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As I’ve asked before when we discuss adding another forward, who are you sending down or out?

I agree the answer is “who cares?”

Maybe it’s even the centre we sign.

Like I said, I’m talking about replacing Eakin, Jankowski and R2.

If Peterka Krebs Cozens or Quinn aren’t ready, it’s them. If they are playing well it’s Bjork.

Its about creating depth and waivers shouldn’t be an issue.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Weave said:

There is an element of hope built into the center spine.  Hope TT is the real deal.  Hope Cozens continues to blossom.  Hope Mitts stays healthy and his skills translate more consistently.  Hope Krebs develops towards his ceiling.

There are no sure things in our center spine.  The reassurance of a sure thing would be welcome.

Who cares?  If they can’t beat out a journeyman, what’s the loss?

What journeyman?  If you are getting a new center the goal is for them to play in the top 12.  That means someone like Asplund or Girgensons isn’t playing. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

What journeyman?  If you are getting a new center the goal is for them to play in the top 12.  That means somewhat like Asplund or Girgensons isn’t playing. 

Maybe, for the 6 games the team is completely healthy.

It took nearly 70 games for Cody Eakin to sit last year. It’s essentially Eakin we’re talking about replacing

  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What journeyman?  If you are getting a new center the goal is for them to play in the top 12.  That means someone like Asplund or Girgensons isn’t playing. 

Asplund is as much a lock on this team as any other forward. When everyone is healthy, and assuming they acquire another center, the last forwards out will be two of Vinny, GIRGS, Krebs, Quinn and JJP

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What journeyman?  If you are getting a new center the goal is for them to play in the top 12.  That means someone like Asplund or Girgensons isn’t playing. 

Or one of the kids.  Yada yada yada.  I don’t care.  Beat out one of the top 12 or sit.  This team needs to ice the best 12 forwards it can.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Maybe, for the 6 games the team is completely healthy.

It took nearly 70 games for Cody Eakin to sit last year. It’s essentially Eakin we’re talking about replacing

Eakin has already been replaced.  Girgensons or Asplund or Cozens step into that role opening up a wing slot for Quinn or JJP.

Eakin played that many games because he was the 2nd best JAG on the team after Vinnie and the teams starting 4th line center.  Guys like Jankowski, Hayden, Caggiula and Bjork also spent most of the season in the lineup. Now  Vinnie and Bjork are at best the teams 13th and 14th forwards and the rest are gone.

The top 12 forwards are TNT, Mitts, Cozens, Tuch, Skinner, KO, Krebs, Asplund, Girgensons, JJP, Quinn and VO. Again who are you sitting for the unknown C?  

I said in the off-season thread that I’d move on from Girgensons and replace him with a legit 3/4 center to take the pressure off Cozens and Krebs some, but that isn’t the road that KA chose this summer.  Instead KA chose to stick with his kids and locker room leadership.  

I don’t see that changing. I also think management likes what Malone brings and envisions him as the emergency center.  

PS I’d be thrilled if they dumped Bjork asap

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

Or one of the kids.  Yada yada yada.  I don’t care.  Beat out one of the top 12 or sit.  This team needs to ice the best 12 forwards it can.

That isn’t KA’s philosophy at this point.  This is developmental year 2.0.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Eakin has already been replaced.  Girgensons or Asplund or Cozens step into that role opening up a wing slot for Quinn or JJP.

Eakin played that many games because he was the 2nd best JAG on the team after Vinnie and the teams starting 4th line center.  Guys like Jankowski, Hayden, Caggiula and Bjork also spent most of the season in the lineup. Now  Vinnie and Bjork are at best the teams 13th and 14th forwards and the rest are gone.

The top 12 forwards are TNT, Mitts, Cozens, Tuch, Skinner, KO, Krebs, Asplund, Girgensons, JJP, Quinn and VO. Again who are you sitting for the unknown C?  

I said in the off-season thread that I’d move on from Girgensons and replace him with a legit 3/4 center to take the pressure off Cozens and Krebs some, but that isn’t the road that KA chose this summer.  Instead KA chose to stick with his kids and locker room leadership.  

I don’t see that changing. I also think management likes what Malone brings and envisions him as the emergency center.  

PS I’d be thrilled if they dumped Bjork asap

That isn’t KA’s philosophy at this point.  This is developmental year 2.0.  

The OP didn’t ask what KAs philosophy would do.  It asked if “we” think another center is needed.  I answered.  I don’t give a rat’s ass if my opinion doesn't fit KAs development philosophy.

And as far as I am concerned, if KAs philosophy doesn’t include expectations to win this year, his philosophy is deeply flawed.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

The OP didn’t ask what KAs philosophy would do.  It asked if “we” think another center is needed.  I answered.  I don’t give a rat’s ass if my opinion doesn't fit KAs development philosophy.

And as far as I am concerned, if KAs philosophy doesn’t include expectations to win this year, his philosophy is deeply flawed.

That’s fair.  It’s one of the reasons I’m not 100% on the KA train. I agree with you that this team with a few adjustments could be competing for the playoffs next season.  I would have dumped Girgensons for a decent proven center.  I would brought in 2 good D.  I also would have signed Comrie and another proven goalie instead of Anderson.  Sadly that is the road KA decided to travel. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s fair.  It’s one of the reasons I’m not 100% on the KA train. I agree with you that this team with a few adjustments could be competing for the playoffs next season.  I would have dumped Girgensons for a decent proven center.  I would brought in 2 good D.  I also would have signed Comrie and another proven goalie instead of Anderson.  Sadly that is the road KA decided to travel. 
 

 

And I would have signed a forward or two that didn’t guarantee a kid a spot. Win the roster spot or ride the bus.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

If I'm GMKA I am asking Paul Statsny to be a mentor for the young guys and come to Buffalo to be the #4 center between Girgs and Okposo.

Give him a 1 year deal at $2 million.  He is good at face offs and could move up the line up if injuries arise. 

 

Brian Boyle, Derick Brassard, Derek Stepan, and Riley Sheahan would all be cheaper options around league minimum.

This mentoring drives me nuts. Is every veteran a good mentor? Is it really needed? Is Stastny a good mentor?

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

The OP didn’t ask what KAs philosophy would do.  It asked if “we” think another center is needed.  I answered.  I don’t give a rat’s ass if my opinion doesn't fit KAs development philosophy.

And as far as I am concerned, if KAs philosophy doesn’t include expectations to win this year, his philosophy is deeply flawed.

The Matrix Revolutions of hockey strategies 

Just now, klos1963 said:

This mentoring drives me nuts. Is every veteran a good mentor? Is it really needed? Is Stastny a good mentor?

“You white - you Ben Affleck.”

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Eakin has already been replaced.  Girgensons or Asplund or Cozens step into that role opening up a wing slot for Quinn or JJP.

Eakin played that many games because he was the 2nd best JAG on the team after Vinnie and the teams starting 4th line center.  Guys like Jankowski, Hayden, Caggiula and Bjork also spent most of the season in the lineup. Now  Vinnie and Bjork are at best the teams 13th and 14th forwards and the rest are gone.

The top 12 forwards are TNT, Mitts, Cozens, Tuch, Skinner, KO, Krebs, Asplund, Girgensons, JJP, Quinn and VO. Again who are you sitting for the unknown C?  

I said in the off-season thread that I’d move on from Girgensons and replace him with a legit 3/4 center to take the pressure off Cozens and Krebs some, but that isn’t the road that KA chose this summer.  Instead KA chose to stick with his kids and locker room leadership.  

I don’t see that changing. I also think management likes what Malone brings and envisions him as the emergency center.  

The Sabres had 18 forwards play at least 18 games last year.

Five of them are gone - 3 of those centres.

2 have been replaced. Not with centres.

I don’t agree with your math

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The Sabres had 18 forwards play at least 18 games last year.

Five of them are gone - 3 of those centres.

2 have been replaced. Not with centres.

I don’t agree with your math

Last I looked the current lineup has 6 players with center experience in the NHL - TnT, Mitts, Cozens, Krebs, Girgensons and Asplund.  4 of those guys will be lining up at center.  Where is this unknown center playing?  Where is my math wrong?  Also Malone's play last year earned him the role filled by Jankowski last year. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...