OT: Vin Scully, Legendary MLB announcer, dies at 94.

GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

We lived in L.A. in the mid-80s.  I fell in love with the Dodgers because of Scully.

Vin was a class above the rest.  No one could carry a game like him.  He transformed the commentary of baseball into an art form.   The best.  Rest In Peace. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Vin was such an amazing play by play guy. Like a maestro. I wish there was one time Vin called a NHL game just to hear what it would have been like.

He also called golf and football.

In addition to being the voice of the Dodgers, Scully called play-by-play for NFL games and PGA Tour events as well as calling 25 World Series and 12 All-Star Games. He was NBC’s lead baseball announcer from 1983-89.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/03/vin-scully-dodgers-broadcaster.html

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

A) That's a great audio call all around. Understated but totally building the drama in the setup, one celebratory call, then get out of the way. Gather some thoughts and recap.

B) That's one hell of an at-bat. (But wow... the league's best closer doesn't have a slider? Nothing offspeed?)

C) I didn't care one iota about either of these teams at the time nor did I have a clue who this balding, mustachioed guy was. But I definitely used Kirk Double-Arm Pump as my baseball celebration for the next few years. Heck, I think I used it when I scored my first lacrosse goal (which ended up being a hockey wrist shot from the mud) 12 or so years later. Heck, I'm going to do a couple KDAPs right now when I celebrate posting this post.

A little spare for me. The comparison to Rick is apt in general, but I can think of only big moment where he sounded like that. Are you ready... His second year on TV and I think he was trying to let the picture speak for itself. I remember the pause as awkward or even worrisome. It won't live on in the pantheon.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

A little spare for me. The comparison to Rick is apt in general, but I can think of only big moment where he sounded like that. Are you ready... His second year on TV and I think he was trying to let the picture speak for itself. I remember the pause as awkward or even worrisome. It won't live on in the pantheon.

I was thinking more in terms of what he means to the fanbase.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

C) I didn't care one iota about either of these teams at the time nor did I have a clue who this balding, mustachioed guy was. But I definitely used Kirk Double-Arm Pump as my baseball celebration for the next few years. Heck, I think I used it when I scored my first lacrosse goal (which ended up being a hockey wrist shot from the mud) 12 or so years later. Heck, I'm going to do a couple KDAPs right now when I celebrate posting this post.

Kirk Gibson actually has an interesting story.  He was an All-American wide receiver for the Michigan State Spartans football team.  His football coach suggested he try baseball.  After one season of college ball he was drafted in the first round by the Detroit Tigers.  He won a World Series with them in 1984.  Then in 1988 he won a World Series with Los Angeles.  The video was from Game One.  He'd been playing injured for some time; he finally couldn't play because he'd pulled his left hamstring and had cartilage damage in his right knee.  He could barely walk and spent most of the game in the club house while trainers treated him in hopes he could play.  He finally said he could play and Manager Tommy Lasorda played hunch and put him in with two outs in the bottom of the 9th inning and ..... you saw what happened.  One of my favorite sports moments.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Kirk Gibson actually has an interesting story.  He was an All-American wide receiver for the Michigan State Spartans football team.  His football coach suggested he try baseball.  After one season of college ball he was drafted in the first round by the Detroit Tigers.  He won a World Series with them in 1984.  Then in 1988 he won a World Series with Los Angeles.  The video was from Game One.  He'd been playing injured for some time; he finally couldn't play because he'd pulled his left hamstring and had cartilage damage in his right knee.  He could barely walk and spent most of the game in the club house while trainers treated him in hopes he could play.  He finally said he could play and Manager Tommy Lasorda played hunch and put him in with two outs in the bottom of the 9th inning and ..... you saw what happened.  One of my favorite sports moments.

…and I am pretty sure that was Gibson’s only appearance in that WS.  That is how screwed up his knees were, and makes what he did in that one at bat even more remarkable. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

…and I am pretty sure that was Gibson’s only appearance in that WS.  That is how screwed up his knees were, and makes what he did in that one at bat even more remarkable. 

Yep.  Played all 7 games in the NLCS, and 1 game in the WS that year.

On 8/3/2022 at 1:38 PM, PASabreFan said:

It actually reminded me of the Drury 7.7 goal. Every time I watch that, I’m surprised by how much he lets it breath. It’s pretty awesome.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.