The Report on University of Michigan’s Hockey Team has been released

Brawndo

I think Portillo will evaluate this situation as he evidently has conducted his career to date — ie by dispassionately choosing the best path for his long term personal situation.  If the coach is fired, Portillo isn’t going to get PO’d and leave the team. 

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think Portillo will evaluate this situation as he evidently has conducted his career to date — ie by dispassionately choosing the best path for his long term personal situation.  If the coach is fired, Portillo isn’t going to get PO’d and leave the team. 

But he might evaluate his best path and determine that it isn't under a new coach (subjectively) or a particular new coach (objectively), right?

Portillo is staying at Michigan one more year regardless to get his undergraduate business degree from Ross. Ross is one of the most prestigious business schools in the country. He will have a top quality degree to fall back if his pro hockey career doesn’t pan out. 

• Like (+1) 4

Not suggesting he personally did anything wrong, but Portillo actually benefited from Pearson’s toxic behaviour.

The coach’s retaliation against Strauss Mann made Portillo the unquestioned starter.

The fact that Portillo rejected a contract offer despite working in an environment where 1/3 of the players described the workplace situation as toxic tells me he had at least a peripheral awareness of the situation, but was not personally negatively affected.

This report should not affect his status as a Ross School student or as Michigan’s starting goalie, even if it leads to Pearson being replaced.

Therefore, I don’t see it affecting his status with the Sabres either.

Thorough piece on the findings here for those with an Athletic subscription.

https://theathletic.com/3468455/2022/08/02/mel-pearson-michigan/

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, freester said:

Portillo is staying at Michigan one more year regardless to get his undergraduate business degree from Ross. Ross is one of the most prestigious business schools in the country. He will have a top quality degree to fall back if his pro hockey career doesn’t pan out. 

Maybe.  Maybe not.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not suggesting he personally did anything wrong, but Portillo actually benefited from Pearson’s toxic behaviour.

The coach’s retaliation against Strauss Mann made Portillo the unquestioned starter.

The fact that Portillo rejected a contract offer despite working in an environment where 1/3 of the players described the workplace situation as toxic tells me he had at least a peripheral awareness of the situation, but was not personally negatively affected.

This report should not affect his status as a Ross School student or as Michigan’s starting goalie, even if it leads to Pearson being replaced.

Therefore, I don’t see it affecting his status with the Sabres either.

Thorough piece on the findings here for those with an Athletic subscription.

https://theathletic.com/3468455/2022/08/02/mel-pearson-michigan/

What if the program is sanctioned and they are not eligible for college playoffs this season?  It could affect his decision.

Incidental to the current story, but the best quote in the Athletic article came from Shields:

Shields told the officer that none of his statements could have been reasonably interpreted as threatening or aggressive in nature and that “it is not in his nature to fight people, nor has it ever been.”

Are we sure that it’s this Steve Shields?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm6L5tCoLyo

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Incidental to the current story, but the best quote in the Athletic article came from Shields:

Shields told the officer that none of his statements could have been reasonably interpreted as threatening or aggressive in nature and that “it is not in his nature to fight people, nor has it ever been.”

Are we sure that it’s this Steve Shields?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm6L5tCoLyo

and HEEEERE COMES SHIEEELDS!  Loved watching that live, love watching it on replay. I'm a Neanderthal. I don't care.

To that end, I don't think hockey fights count.  Off the ice, my kid is really nice and respectful and has no problems with anyone, makes friends everywhere he goes. On the ice? He's a prick and a half. 😅

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

But he might evaluate his best path and determine that it isn't under a new coach (subjectively) or a particular new coach (objectively), right?

Sure -- very possible.  I do think though that as others have noted, based on the facts we know and what we can reasonably expect in terms of consequences for the program, it seems pretty likely that Portillo will stay the course.  If the program gets shut down for next season (which seems highly unlikely)?  Yes, he would probably bail.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Michigan is an elite hockey program and is pretty likely to bring in a well-regarded coach.  Unless the program gets hit with major sanctions and/or a bunch of players leave, I think Portillo is pretty likely to stay there.

2 hours ago, Cozenscousin said:

Portillo is biding his time until he is an UFA. I doubt he moves on from Michigan and I doubt he ever signs with the Sabres.

I’m with Cuz.  I don’t think this changes anything.  He’s angling for FA.

2 hours ago, Cozenscousin said:

Portillo is biding his time until he is an UFA. I doubt he moves on from Michigan and I doubt he ever signs with the Sabres.

If he stays at Michigan, the more likely conclusion (to me) is that you are correct.  It's less likely (again, to me) that he'd be doing so out of loyalty to the program or to a new coach.  I also think he's afraid of Levi.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If he stays at Michigan, the more likely conclusion (to me) is that you are correct.  It's less likely (again, to me) that he'd be doing so out of loyalty to the program or to a new coach.  I also think he's afraid of Levi.

Which may be possible.  And if that's the reason he wants to hit FA in a year, kind of hoping he ends up in TO or Filly.  Let them maintain their oligopoly on weakminded keepers.  😉

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Which may be possible.  And if that's the reason he wants to hit FA in a year, kind of hoping he ends up in TO or Filly.  Let them maintain their oligopoly on weakminded keepers.  😉

Boston is due for one, ever since Tim Thomas, in his 30s, found his oats in a crease at 1 SHK plaza...

23 hours ago, Eleven said:

If he’s afraid of Levi, then he isn’t the right stuff. Good riddance if that’s the case.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/5/2022 at 2:56 PM, Cozenscousin said:

On 8/5/2022 at 5:29 PM, Weave said:

I’m with Cuz.  I don’t think this changes anything.  He’s angling for FA.

On 8/5/2022 at 5:44 PM, Eleven said:

Been saying that since he decided not to sign with the Sabres.  I hope I'm wrong.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.