Went to the game

Taro T

Overall the team came out and skated well. Comments on individual players, in no particular order:

Peters, who was listed as being on IR did dress for the game, but I think I saw him take A shift in the 1st. His butt was glued to the bench in the 2nd and 3rd.

Guastad played well when he was in. He hit anything that moved. He had several chances to score, but seems to have hands of stone. Maybe it's just 1st game jitters. If he had a scoring touch, he'd be a Guerin type player.

Pyatt seemed to play inspired next to Guastad. He had 2 -3 hits and overall played solidly.

Afinogenov skated well, got himself into position to take high percentage shots. But he also took 2 stupid penalties. The first put NY back into the game as they scored before Sabres could clear puck after his penalty ended. This tied game at 1. The 2nd, was not a call in '03-'04, but was now. It came with about 2:30 left in the game. Very bad penalty to take. He was named game's 3rd star.

Connolly should have scored in the 1st period. Had wide open net. Hesitated on shot, which gave DiPietro time to get across and make fantastic save. Overall played far above my expectations, which means he played OK.

McKee hit everything on the ice. Took one dumb penalty. Cross checked guy in the corner. Other than that, was best defenseman on the ice.

Numminen - I didn't really notice him except for a couple of plays. You aren't supposed to notice the D, so he played a solid game.

Lydman played very nervous. Turned the puck over at least 3 times when there was no one near him. Hopefully, this was just nerves playing at home 1st time for new team. If not, Kalinen can't get healthy quick enough.

Campbell played much better than expected. He was good in the offensive zone and adequate in his own. Went down to block 2 shots.

Tallinder and Fitzpatrick were the 3rd pair. Fitzpatrick played his normal solid game. Tallinder got beat wide a couple of times, but overall played well enough.

Drury was solid. Got robbed on the 5 on 3 at least twice.

Briere was named 1st star. Had 2 goals. 1st one DiPietro should have stopped, it was 5 hole from in close but at a bad angle.

Vanek will be a stud. Set up Max's first goal.

Grier played solid. Had one real nice hit on Miro along the boards. "Miro, Miro on the wall ..."

Hecht played hard. Got himself in position to make some plays but seemed to lose the handle in the offensive zone. Played very well in his own end.

Kotalik had a solid but unspectacular game.

Dumont had a solid game.

Miller looked very good until he gave up the Zhitnik floater. The next goal he gave up came right off the faceoff on the powerplay. He looked like he was thinking about letting NY tie it up, but the team in front of him would not let that happen.

For the Isles, DiPietro was named the 2nd star as he had robbed the Sabres on at least 4 chances on the powerplay. If not for his play, the Sabres could have won about 12 -4.

Miro was a nonshow. He took two very weak penalties. I was afraid of him coming into this game, thinking he'd bring his A game. He did not.

Zhitnik was typical Zhitnik but he did hit the net on 2 straight shots on one powerplay and generally kept his shots down better than as a Sabre. He got a fluke goal and had a delay of game penalty on a mental malfunction. Except for the delay of game penalty he was solid, but did have problems keeping puck in on power play on 1 or 2 occassions.

Refs called most everything on Sabres. Nearly as much on Isles, but called them 2 times at end of game on penalties that would not have been called last time out.

Does anybody know what channel the game was on on DirecTV in WNY? I know it was blacked out on 627. Was it on 621 or 626 or was it blacked out entirely?

Zhitnik was typical Zhitnik but he did hit the net on 2 straight shots on one powerplay and generally kept his shots down better than as a Sabre. He got a fluke goal and had a delay of game penalty on a mental malfunction. Except for the delay of game penalty he was solid, but did have problems keeping puck in on power play on 1 or 2 occassions.

Zhitnik having trouble keeping the puck in on the power play? Why does that sound so familiar?

Guest Rhett4

Gaustad does not have hands of stone, but he will never be a pretty goal scorer. He's a big, hard working guy that can score in front of the net, is decent with deflectons (and screens), and can surprise other teams.

I think Gaustad will be a Dave Scatchard like player, which makes me quite happy.

I agree with dave on almost all counts.

Peters, who was listed as being on IR did dress for the game, but I think I saw him take A shift in the 1st.? His butt was glued to the bench in the 2nd and 3rd.

Peters hopped on after the first period and took a few strides as the teams were leaving the ice. After the game, he came out to congratulate Miller with the rest of the team, but that was all I saw of him. According to NHL.com's numbers, he didn't play at all.

Connolly should have scored in the 1st period.? Had wide open net.? Hesitated on shot, which gave DiPietro time to get across and make fantastic save.? Overall played far above my expectations, which means he played OK.

I was very pleased with Connolly's performance. He handled the puck well through the neutral zone and did a good job on the power play point.

McKee hit everything on the ice.? Took one dumb penalty.? Cross checked guy in the corner.? Other than that, was best defenseman on the ice.

McKee also blocked at least three shots. One of those blocks resulted in Afinogenov's goal. He misplayed a check on Satan, though, which led to the late holding penalty.

Drury was solid.? Got robbed on the 5 on 3 at least twice.

Drury appeared to be the victim of many bad bounces. Nothing seemed to go his way.

Miller looked very good until he gave up the Zhitnik floater. The next goal he gave up came right off the faceoff on the powerplay. He looked like he was thinking about letting NY tie it up, but the team in front of him would not let that happen.

When DiPietro went after Gaustad at the end of the second period, Miller rushed down the ice and looked ready for battle. I was thrilled by that little show of spirit. He was stopped at the New York line by one of the officials, though.

It was a very exciting and entertaining game. I'm actually physically exhausted from cheering.

Pyatt seemed to play inspired next to Guastad. He had 2 -3 hits and overall played solidly.

Pyatt was caught day dreaming in his own end on the goal where Miller kicked the rebound out to the face off circle and the defenseman(Campoli??) snuck in from the point and slammed it home. I want to believe Connolly & Pyatt can become solid 3rd line NHL players, but until proven otherwise, they are borderline 4th liners/career minor leaguers.

Overall though...great game to be at, fun atmosphere and a WIN to boot.

Numminen - I didn't really notice him except for a couple of plays. You aren't supposed to notice the D, so he played a solid game.

Lydman played very nervous. Turned the puck over at least 3 times when there was no one near him. Hopefully, this was just nerves playing at home 1st time for new team. If not, Kalinen can't get healthy quick enough.

Tallinder and Fitzpatrick were the 3rd pair. Fitzpatrick played his normal solid game. Tallinder got beat wide a couple of times, but overall played well enough.

ked out entirely?

Funny, I thought the same exact thing about Numminen. I also agree on your comments on Lydman and Fitzpatrick.

I would prefer Fitzpatrick over Campbell or Jillson any day. I think he is solid in his own end and isn't afraid to throw the occassional body check. IMO....very underrated.

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that we won 6-4 but Gaustad managed a - 3???

poor gaustad... i feel for him... he worked his heart out that game and still ended up with a -3. that sucks... i always thought he should make the team but i think he's finnally ready now to step up. -3 or not he was hittin everything and made a difference.

great recap, thanks guys. keep them coming.

FYI - on directv in LA, i noticed my tivo recorded on wed at 4pm PST on MSG the sabes replay of isles game. so maybe ill get them all, just a day late. Ill have to avoid this board until the next day....no way i can not look up the score though!

Archived