Terry’s Latest Investment

Porous Five Hole

On 7/30/2022 at 8:03 PM, Zamboni said:

Are there seriously guys who give a flying F what the F other guys wear? And then based on the guys income, care to another level? I mean really? God I’m glad I’m not hung up on what Terry wears/doesn’t wear. 

It always amuses me when people want to pretend that they’re Mr. Blackwell - regardless if it’s their attire, what house they own, what yacht they own, what car they own and drive, etc. And yet, some of the Uber-rich have no qualms about keeping it simple, like Sam Walton and his 1979 Ford pickup truck.

On 7/30/2022 at 9:19 AM, Eleven said:

Yeah, that's the sentence that tells me absolutely nothing about what the company does.

On 7/30/2022 at 9:05 AM, That Aud Smell said:

the company provides “back-office support for a consortium of independent advisory firms … .”

Confirmed: Terry reads this board and saw the recent chatter about Golisano and Paychex.

On 7/30/2022 at 5:57 PM, Eleven said:

I cannot imagine back office support tailored expressly to investment firms though…

Although this helped a little.

My guess is the IT work (bias lens engaged) is part of it. Financial services often have a lot of compliance requirements to handle peoples money. Paychex is a very good analog in payrool; instead of have Mike and Molly the IT people, this company runs your IT in a safe-ish manner and handles all the nitty-gritty stuff you're required to do.

39 minutes ago, FogBat said:

It always amuses me when people want to pretend that they’re Mr. Blackwell - regardless if it’s their attire, what house they own, what yacht they own, what car they own and drive, etc. And yet, some of the Uber-rich have no qualms about keeping it simple, like Sam Walton and his 1979 Ford pickup truck.

MsPie kinda researched this (sociology is kinda a hobby for her). A lot of people who are from really wealthy families do not flaunt it. Having really fancy stuff on display is more for moderately-wealthy people that have to prove how rich they are to everyone.

In my limited experience, it can go either way with the person who first makes the money, they can either keep their moderate ways (like apparently Sam Walton) or be flashy (TG and TP). The kids are often the ones that flaunt unless the parent strongly instills that same minimal approach to life.

On this topic, it's funny, I do pretty well, but that's because I'm single without kids, so when I work, I get to spend my money. I am by no means "rich" in the grand scheme of things, but I spend my money on things I like. I love espresso, saunas and travel, I like riding my motorcycle. So I built a sauna, I got a nice espresso machine, etc, I travel whenever I can while I'm still young. My closet doesn't have much nice in it, but I don't prioritize how I look very often. 

Because of this, I've gotten so many comments over the years ranging from people asking me if I'm a trust fund baby, to people assuming that I don't work, it's kinda funny in general, but if people don't know my career or see any of the stuff I enjoy, most assume I'm just a bartender or homeless 😂😂

People judge on funny things, I'm glad Terry is comfortable in his T shirt lol 

20 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

On this topic, it's funny, I do pretty well, but that's because I'm single without kids, so when I work, I get to spend my money. I am by no means "rich" in the grand scheme of things, but I spend my money on things I like. I love espresso, saunas and travel, I like riding my motorcycle. So I built a sauna, I got a nice espresso machine, etc, I travel whenever I can while I'm still young. My closet doesn't have much nice in it, but I don't prioritize how I look very often. 

Because of this, I've gotten so many comments over the years ranging from people asking me if I'm a trust fund baby, to people assuming that I don't work, it's kinda funny in general, but if people don't know my career or see any of the stuff I enjoy, most assume I'm just a bartender or homeless 😂😂

People judge on funny things, I'm glad Terry is comfortable in his T shirt lol 

We are trained to judge on those things, that's the worst part about it.  How often do you see a "headline" on a news aggregator that basically is a reinforcement of being judgmental?  It's sad.  "The one mistake people make with cooking potatoes." or other stupid crap like that. People read that crap and believe there's only one way to do things and anyone who doesn't do it is a simpleton.  I'd say simp but I believe somehow the world has found that word to be insulting. Perhaps simpleton is as well, who knows anymore.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LTS said:

We are trained to judge on those things, that's the worst part about it.  How often do you see a "headline" on a news aggregator that basically is a reinforcement of being judgmental?  It's sad.  "The one mistake people make with cooking potatoes." or other stupid crap like that. People read that crap and believe there's only one way to do things and anyone who doesn't do it is a simpleton.  I'd say simp but I believe somehow the world has found that word to be insulting. Perhaps simpleton is as well, who knows anymore.

Simp is insulting now because of the acronym it entails, not really anything to do with living with simple means. 

1 minute ago, sabresparaavida said:

Simp is insulting now because of the acronym it entails, not really anything to do with living with simple means. 

I have no idea what acronym it entails. I will search it so I have a better understanding on why it's viewed the way it is. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

I'm not acknowledging that co-option with a change in my vocabulary, just like I still use the "ok sign" to mean..."ok" (or the number three).

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not acknowledging that co-option with a change in my vocabulary, just like I still use the "ok sign" to mean..."ok" (or the number three).

Yeah that’s one thing I don’t do, is keep up on the offended group of the week” PC stuff.  You know what I mean ya wanker? 😇

Just now, Zamboni said:

Yeah that’s one thing I don’t do, is keep up on the offended group of the week” PC stuff.  You know what I mean ya wanker? 😇

If you look this one up, it's even dumber than usual.  Like the "ok sign," it is a COMPLETE stretch.  I don't mind modifying my vocabulary when there is actual offense--I don't use the r-word anymore, like I did when I was young, for example.  But I'm not going to allow people to take normal terms and turn them into something I need to worry about.

Wanker.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

A note about the "Pepe OK" symbol.  The differences are in the position of the thumb and forefinger and how your hand is presented.  Once you know what to look for, it is really obvious because how most people make a standard "OK" symbol versus the yahoos who make it mean "white power."

9 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

A note about the "Pepe OK" symbol.  The differences are in the position of the thumb and forefinger and how your hand is presented.  Once you know what to look for, it is really obvious because how most people make a standard "OK" symbol versus the yahoos who make it mean "white power."

I didn’t know anything about that symbol. I sent that emoji last week meaning OK, I think it was well received.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.