Philosophy on the rebuild

Billssabres33

Like all of us, I am watching what happens on the open market and I just saw Klingberg sign with the Ducks for 7mm 1 season.  I know that Kevyn is focusing on home grown and long term results.   But should he sprinkle in signings like this, or Kadri on a short-term deal or others especially with all this cap room to see if he can catch lightning in a bottle?  Culture is king, but taking a chance here and there might make some sense…

I don’t see him making those kinds of signings until we become playoff team.  Then you add proven performers to step up in the playoffs.  Right now the big free agents add a premium to sign with, us and we have lots of homegrown talent to pay soon. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’d still love to see them sign PK. I think he would be great for the young D, as well as the locker room. 

Who does he bump out of the lineup?  Dahlin - Samuelsson was the best pairing in at least 4 years & likely 14.  Don't see that breaking up.  Which bumps either Lyubushkin or Jokiharju out of the lineup.  Bryson's the obvious guy to bump, but which of those 3 bottom 4 RHD slide to their off side to are that happen?

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I don’t see him making those kinds of signings until we become playoff team.  Then you add proven performers to step up in the playoffs.  Right now the big free agents add a premium to sign with, us and we have lots of homegrown talent to pay soon. 

I hear what you are saying, but it might be worth it to take a flier or 2 every year because it’s not like this is a precise formula…I see what he is trying to do but it may never work out.  Should he take a swing in the short run, especially when he has so much cap room?

6 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Klingberg is ristolainen he would drive you nuts 

Yup. With Dahlin and Power, so we really need an offense only defender? If you brought him in to play with Power, Power would spend all game defending. Not interested and I doubt he was interested in us. 

Just now, thewookie1 said:

Depends on if he has a NMC or NTC

He has a 10 team ntc that kicks in January 1st. Before that is a full ntc.

• Like (+1) 5

11 hours ago, Billssabres33 said:

Like all of us, I am watching what happens on the open market and I just saw Klingberg sign with the Ducks for 7mm 1 season.  I know that Kevyn is focusing on home grown and long term results.   But should he sprinkle in signings like this, or Kadri on a short-term deal or others especially with all this cap room to see if he can catch lightning in a bottle?  Culture is king, but taking a chance here and there might make some sense…

Kevyn should be very careful who and what he pursues in ufa. I think Kadri is interesting but only for about 2 years and idk if he'd sign up for that. There's also teams that aren't cap compliant that we could or should work with still. 

• Like (+1) 1

Who do you think KA would jettison to bring in this alleged upgrade? Bryson who he just re-signed for two years?  Asplund our best defensive who can chip in offensively?  Girgensons one of the leaders of the new culture and one of our few physical forwards? Vinnie? Jokiharju? Who?  

I think he’s pretty much done except maybe a 7/8 D and even that is unlikely. He isn’t going to block JJP or Quinn and he seems content to allow DG to choose his centers from the 6 already on the roster.  I think if he can upgrade Fitz or Pilut/Clague with a proven vet and get another asset he would consider it.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

I think that KA is a little gun shy after the Hall fiasco.

After that it has become clear that he is going to stay away from big UFA signings.  

I would have liked PK coming in here, but KA looked at it and brought in that former Leaf Dman with the long and complicated name to play the right side.

He also addressed the goaler situation better than he did last season.

This will be another year of growth for the young players and pushing hard to be in playoff contention to the end of the season.  The following season we should see the Sabres push very hard for a playoff spot and that needs to be the goal.  Just make it anyway you can for the young players to have that playoff feel and experience.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He could have done more,  but I don’t think that adding Comrie in place of Dell and Toker is worse. 

I wasn’t talking about this season.  When you lose Ullmark and replace with Anderson you have made your goaltending worse and that isn’t even debatable.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wasn’t talking about this season.  When you lose Ullmark with Anderson you have made your goaltending worse and that isn’t even debatable.

Skill wise certainly; but other factors like contract and influence need to be accounted for as well. In regards to availability, both suck.

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He could have done more,  but I don’t think that adding Comrie in place of Dell and Toker is worse. 

No, but it's worse than having Ullmark. 

Last year was just about the worst goaltending this team has ever had. This year isn't much better unless UPL breaks through somehow. Comrie might surprise me, but I doubt it. 

idk, my personal philosophy is great goalie first and foremost and build out from there. Sabres seem to have that in reverse. I do not believe we will be any good until we have better goaltending. Right now my hope is that we have Levi and he will develop quickly. otherwise, I just don't know.

Ullmark’s last year in Buffalo was a 2.63 with a .917.

Anderson last season was a 3.12 with a .897.

That’s making the goaltending worse, and unless Comrie comes through the goaltending is still worse.  

I agree with @PerreaultForever, without good goaltending, there is no way to become a contending squad and I don’t understand a rebuild philosophy that downgrades the goaltending in a vain hope that a prospect will save the day.  Secure good goaltending and if the prospect wrestles away the starting job all the better.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, but it's worse than having Ullmark. 

Last year was just about the worst goaltending this team has ever had. This year isn't much better unless UPL breaks through somehow. Comrie might surprise me, but I doubt it. 

idk, my personal philosophy is great goalie first and foremost and build out from there. Sabres seem to have that in reverse. I do not believe we will be any good until we have better goaltending. Right now my hope is that we have Levi and he will develop quickly. otherwise, I just don't know.

Comrie may surprise a lot of people, in a good way. I am an optimist in this case, I don’t see any other option now, short of a trade. If he gives the Sabres average goaltending, that would be a success, considering his level of experience.

I see Levi as the future #1 but it will be a while before he is ready. One more NCAA season and one in the AHL? Putting my optimist hat on again, he is the same age as Spencer Knight who is already an NHL backup and may take over for Bob soon. No one is saying Knight isn’t ready and he only played 11 games in the AHL. The pessimist devil on my shoulder says to watch for a Carter Hart scenario with Levi.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ullmark’s last year in Buffalo was a 2.63 with a .917.

Anderson last season was a 3.12 with a .897.

That’s making the goaltending worse, and unless Comrie comes through the goaltending is still worse.  

I agree with @PerreaultForever, without good goaltending, there is no way to become a contending squad and I don’t understand a rebuild philosophy that downgrades the goaltending in a vain hope that a prospect will save the day.  Secure good goaltending and if the prospect wrestles away the starting job all the better.

Ullmark was almost perfect in shootouts which is not reflected in those stats. As bad as Lehner was, Ullmark was good. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.