2022 WJC 8/9 -8/20

LabattBlue

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

And there is absolutely no reason for Owen Power, the 2nd best defender on the Sabres, to play in a kids tournament 1 month before NHL training camp starts. 

There's no reason from the Sabre's perspective, but he's a Canadian kid who's dreamed of playing in the WJC since he could skate.     

I'm sure he'd like to be out there with his buddies, representing his country with a very good chance to bring home a gold medal.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • dislike 1

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

There's no reason from the Sabre's perspective, but he's a Canadian kid who's dreamed of playing in the WJC since he could skate.     

I'm sure he'd like to be out there with his buddies, representing his country with a very good chance to bring home a gold medal.

Are you also sure the opportunity wasn’t offered to him and he declined? 

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

And there is absolutely no reason for Owen Power, the 2nd best defender on the Sabres, to play in a kids tournament 1 month before NHL training camp starts. 

No no reason, except the love of hockey. No reason for McTavish to be there either. But he is. 

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Rosen be doing stuff today

He was fine today. But let's be real, it was Austria. 

the previous game was a better indicator, and he looked like a potential goal scorer in that one. 

18 hours ago, pi2000 said:

If he wanted to be out there, he would be. 

13 hours ago, K-9 said:

Are you also sure the opportunity wasn’t offered to him and he declined? 

I'd bet the best Canadian defender under 20 was offered I spot. 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No no reason, except the love of hockey. No reason for McTavish to be there either. But he is. 

He was fine today. But let's be real, it was Austria. 

the previous game was a better indicator, and he looked like a potential goal scorer in that one. 

Priorities change. 

6 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

He wanted to play but Canada told him no and  Became a mutual agreement 

Link? So, basically he went from playing in the Olympics for Canada against men to not being asked back to play against boys in an annual tournament. Besides playing for the love of the sport, I don’t think playing in the WJC again would’ve been high on his bucket list. 

37 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Link? So, basically he went from playing in the Olympics for Canada against men to not being asked back to play against boys in an annual tournament. Besides playing for the love of the sport, I don’t think playing in the WJC again would’ve been high on his bucket list. 

Beniers isn’t playing for U.S. and there are others too. I was surprised McTavish was playing myself.

I have this weak feeling in my stomach that US/CAN are going to continue to dominate group play, and then the Nordics are going to turn it up a notch, as they almost always do.  This tournament will be won by some country with a flag that involves a cross and the color blue.

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

I have this weak feeling in my stomach that US/CAN are going to continue to dominate group play, and then the Nordics are going to turn it up a notch, as they almost always do.  This tournament will be won by some country with a flag that involves a cross and the color blue.

I want to watch the USA vs Sweden game, first real test for each team. Same for Canada vs Finland. They are the top four and they finally get a challenging opponent.

The Finns have just found another gear in international tournaments the past 5 years or so.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Maybe that says more about who McTavish is than anything else. 

I’m sure they were all invited to return. I would say the most common reason for not going is summer preparation to make an NHL team, including avoiding injuries. Their NHL teams would have had a strong opinion on this summer tournament.

I read somewhere that McTavish wanted to play at all costs and had to convince Anaheim in order to go. I would think most teams felt that way about their top prospects.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, French Collection said:

I’m sure they were all invited to return. I would say the most common reason for not going is summer preparation to make an NHL team, including avoiding injuries. Their NHL teams would have had a strong opinion on this summer tournament.

I read somewhere that McTavish wanted to play at all costs and had to convince Anaheim in order to go. I would think most teams felt that way about their top prospects.

Yes, I heard that too. I think most of the NHL teams with the bigger name prospects didn't want them to play but Anaheim gave in. McTavish insisted and ultimately they decided better to make him happy. 

I'm just feeling vindicated because I was really high on McTavish in the draft. Certain analytic oriented individuals around here who think they know better mocked me for liking him so this tournament is giving me a big I told you so smile. He was my top forward choice and the guy I would have wanted after Power. He's going to be Anaheim's captain eventually, little question of that imo. 

On 8/13/2022 at 9:27 PM, French Collection said:

Suchacek named player of the game for Czechia.

Sabres may add him to the Czech Mafia if he has a good showing.

He plays for the Tri City Americans in the WHL, and faced 35 shots a night last season.

Suchacek sounds like he should be on this list 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.