2022 WJC 8/9 -8/20

LabattBlue

Sweden survives a less than inspired effort 2-1. Most of team Sweden doesn't inspire me. Rosen is a very passive player who lets others do the harder work and he quits on plays imo. He has skills, but I honestly do not think he has what it takes.

Lysell looks like a potential NHLer. Andrea was good, Olausson has potential. Not many others.  

On 8/16/2022 at 9:28 AM, Carmel Corn said:

With respect to Rosen, maybe it's not a bad thing that he's not standing out.  We had another 1st round pick Swede forward named Nylander who was pretty good in the WJC's and then struggled as a pro.  Maybe Rosen will be the ANTI-Nylander 🙃

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/sabres-alexander-nylander-outstanding-at-world-juniors/

Realistically, his current track record compared to other prospects of his age isn't promising.

It was a swing for the fences pick based on a strong U18's that's looking more likely to be a strike than a home run. He put on some weight which is good, but he just hasn't produced like a prospect at his draft position should.

I'm betting he's a career mid-high SHL/AHL player and nothing more, but will thankfully eat crow if I'm wrong. 

I didn’t stay up but I just read the report. That is an upset, the Czechs said that they learned a lot from losing to Latvia and they were hungry for this one.

I thought the USA had the best team, you never know in this type of format.

Good for Kulich, the Sabres will be happy. Suchanek will be on the Sabres prospect team, he may be one to watch since Levi and Portillo won’t be there.

OK, so the semifinals are on Friday, with Kulich and the Czechs (are they still called that) vs Canada at 2:00 pm ET, and Rosen, Sjodin and the Swedes vs Finland at 6:00 pm ET.

TV coverage in the US is on NHLN, but for streamers, it's only on Fubo (brilliant work as always, NHL!).

Interestingly enough, it looks like Sjodin got 15.5 minutes of ice time in Sweden's game yesterday, while Rosen got 13.5.  Kulich got 15:40 for Czechia.

On 8/18/2022 at 6:32 AM, French Collection said:

Good for Kulich, the Sabres will be happy. Suchanek will be on the Sabres prospect team, he may be one to watch since Levi and Portillo won’t be there.

Hol’ up Part 2: what does Suchanek have to do with the Sabres?

Kulich was good against Canada. He's a smart quick player with good skills and strong effort. I see big things in his future and expect him to develop into a future Sabre. Possibly a star. 

Sweden is a soft uninspired hockey team. Rosen is a soft uninspired hockey player. If he becomes a significant Sabre I will be pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it. 

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Canadian dad, who played in Finland.

Healthy scratch tonight, this guy’s stock keeps falling.

Wait, healthy scratched? I thought he was probably injured. Yikes. There were a lot of online, Analytics driven draft pundits that were convinced he was a top 5 talent because of his transitions with the puck from blue line to blue line but I just don’t think he has the smarts or character to be more then a Josh Ho Sang. Have to see how the next couple years go but he just constantly disappoints.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.