2022 WJC 8/9 -8/20

LabattBlue

USA looked awesome last night, forechecking like madmen and playing a great possession game. Sweden couldn’t get anything going and we’re basically playing dump and change to get fresh legs on.

This turned out to be fun to watch in the last 5 minutes as Sweden got within 1 goal and kept pressing. US goaltender looked so so, but in his defense, he had not faced any real pressure.

Rosen was not a factor but no one really did much from the Swedish side. Sjodin was elevated to play with Lysell on a scoring line but spent most of the game in their own end.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sorry to say all Sabres prospects less than impressive in today's 2 games. 

That Bergmanis kid from Latvia was a dynamo though. Somebody needs to sign him. 

Rosen was completely irrelevant, playing only 9 1/2 minutes in Sweden's biggest game of the tourney. He wasn't out there for PPs or with the 6 on 5 man advantage in the final two minutes. Something happened between the Austria game and last night.

Sweden as a whole has looked off the first two games and was overwhelmed in this one by the American forecheck. I'd say US won 80% of 50/50 pucks and absolutely hounded the Swedes. The Swedish response was uninspired, nervous play; clearly a team without a leader who were quick to point fingers or complain to the ref. It's a shame Rosen (or anyone on the team for that matter) didn't have the character to step up. I've been quick to defend Rosen and preach patience, but last night's performance leaves me the most discouraged I've been. Let's see how it goes tonight.

One note: Lekkerimaki is the only skater that popped, albeit on a single end to end rush.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, GrassValleyGreg said:

Rosen was completely irrelevant, playing only 9 1/2 minutes in Sweden's biggest game of the tourney. He wasn't out there for PPs or with the 6 on 5 man advantage in the final two minutes. Something happened between the Austria game and last night.

Sweden as a whole has looked off the first two games and was overwhelmed in this one by the American forecheck. I'd say US won 80% of 50/50 pucks and absolutely hounded the Swedes. The Swedish response was uninspired, nervous play; clearly a team without a leader who were quick to point fingers or complain to the ref. It's a shame Rosen (or anyone on the team for that matter) didn't have the character to step up. I've been quick to defend Rosen and preach patience, but last night's performance leaves me the most discouraged I've been. Let's see how it goes tonight.

One note: Lekkerimaki is the only skater that popped, albeit on a single end to end rush.

Rosen was out there the last 25 seconds and had a chance but the puck was shuttled into his far skate

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Rosen was out there the last 25 seconds and had a chance but the puck was shuttled into his far skate

I noticed that but the way I saw the play was he didn't drive the net with any energy and didn't fight for that puck. He could have tried harder in that situation. 

The Swedish team as a whole seems to lack desire, leadership and/or character as discussed above. Very little tenacity and they definitely have not gotten tough when the going gets tough as the saying goes. 

54 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Yes one game defines these kids.

Ohgren looked awful so i guess Dallas blew this draft. Wallstedt has looked bad all tournament so Minnesota blew it on a bust. Edvinsson has had a lot of questionable giveaways. Detroit are screwed.

Absolutely doesn't define them, but it's a valid observation. All these players are highly skilled, what I look for in these type of tournaments is the little things that define their character and personality. Do they push back or back off, do they dig deeper when it counts, do they hot dog or act more mature and so on and so on. A tournament like this can also tell you who is closer to NHL level and who will need a lot more development. Edvinsson, for example,  has skills but he is no where ready for the NHL. I think he's going to need 2-3 more years at lower levels. Jirichek on the other hand, will get to the NHL faster. He's going to be a tough/mean and solid player imo. 

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Yes one game defines these kids.

Ohgren looked awful so i guess Dallas blew this draft. Wallstedt has looked bad all tournament so Minnesota blew it on a bust. Edvinsson has had a lot of questionable giveaways. Detroit are screwed.

Recency bias makes me change my opinion a little bit during this tournament but I try and avoid the roller coaster rides.

Other examples on the optimistic side:

Luke Hughes is the best player in his family. High bar but it is hard to say right now.

How is Bergmanis not drafted? He hadn’t done much until now.

McTavish will be a 1C and captain of the Ducks. Zegras would like to have a chat about 1C.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Kulich looked good at first imo but became invisible later. Rosen has been a non factor last two games and is definitely not impressing me. 

I’m a little disappointed in Rosen, he only got 11:00 last night and no points. His coach must feel the same way because he was on a better line and getting more ice time at the start of the tournament. There is still time for him to turn it around, Sweden should get at least two more games. He is 19, this is the year for him to show something at this tournament.

Kulich has had some good moments. He is 18 and the Czechs only have one good line so opponents have shut them down. The USA is a great team and he will be challenged on every shift. The PP is their only chance to score IMO and Kulich is one of the keys on their unit.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I’m a little disappointed in Rosen, he only got 11:00 last night and no points. His coach must feel the same way because he was on a better line and getting more ice time at the start of the tournament. There is still time for him to turn it around, Sweden should get at least two more games. He is 19, this is the year for him to show something at this tournament.

Kulich has had some good moments. He is 18 and the Czechs only have one good line so opponents have shut them down. The USA is a great team and he will be challenged on every shift. The PP is their only chance to score IMO and Kulich is one of the keys on their unit.

With respect to Rosen, maybe it's not a bad thing that he's not standing out.  We had another 1st round pick Swede forward named Nylander who was pretty good in the WJC's and then struggled as a pro.  Maybe Rosen will be the ANTI-Nylander 🙃

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/sabres-alexander-nylander-outstanding-at-world-juniors/

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

With respect to Rosen, maybe it's not a bad thing that he's not standing out.  We had another 1st round pick Swede forward named Nylander who was pretty good in the WJC's and then struggled as a pro.  Maybe Rosen will be the ANTI-Nylander 🙃

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/sabres-alexander-nylander-outstanding-at-world-juniors/

Well that is certainly a creative way to look at it. 

I guess we should pass on Bedard then if we win the lottery. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.