sweetlou

Sabres have a lot of potential young NHL talent  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which forward is moved first?

• Peyton Krebs
    • Victor Olofsson
    • Casey Mittelstadt

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Krebs won't be moved for a few years even if he's not good because of the optics. He will get the longest and biggest chance to make his mark. 

But none of those 3 get moved any time soon imo. 

I still believe Girgensens and Okposo will be moved at the deadline if we are not in playoff contention. I know some of you want him as captain. I still think this though. 

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

I could envision a scenario where if Buffalo is already out of contention...Okposo is traded to a contender for a playoff run, but then re-signs with Buffalo in the off-season.   

I'd say ok, but we have drafted a LOT of players the last couple of years.  10 picks in the first 2 rounds (6 1sts) over 3 drafts, plus they have another 1st and 3 2nd's in 2023.  Running out of space for all the younger players so we'll see how they want to approach.  I suppose they could add some 2024 and 2025 picks to just keep that pipeline full as seasons go along.  

The reason I used these 3 is because in order to acquire talent sometimes you have to give up talent.  These three also play a similar perimeter game as they are not power forwards but more skilled.  Olofsson's shot, Krebs passing, and Mitt's ???, still not sure.

I feel if the Sabres wanted to make a move for a true #1 RD they would have to give up one of these 3.

10 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

The reason I used these 3 is because in order to acquire talent sometimes you have to give up talent.  These three also play a similar perimeter game as they are not power forwards but more skilled.  Olofsson's shot, Krebs passing, and Mitt's ???, still not sure.

I feel if the Sabres wanted to make a move for a true #1 RD they would have to give up one of these 3.

Sabres have a true #1 RD.  They lack a true #1 RH RD.  Don't see that as a gap.

It would be interesting to see another true top 4 D-man.  But guessing they think between Lyubushkin & Jokiharju they have 1-5 covered well enough that Power's development won't be hampered.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

I'd say ok, but we have drafted a LOT of players the last couple of years.  10 picks in the first 2 rounds (6 1sts) over 3 drafts, plus they have another 1st and 3 2nd's in 2023.  Running out of space for all the younger players so we'll see how they want to approach.  I suppose they could add some 2024 and 2025 picks to just keep that pipeline full as seasons go along.  

They're not ALL going to work out. That's unrealistic. If it happened, well great, too many good players what a dilemma . More likely some will be good, some will need more time, some will become marginal players or role players, and some will be AHL only. I really don't think we are overflowing just yet, more like just back to what is normal. 

On 7/25/2022 at 5:43 PM, PerreaultForever said:

They're not ALL going to work out. That's unrealistic. If it happened, well great, too many good players what a dilemma . More likely some will be good, some will need more time, some will become marginal players or role players, and some will be AHL only. I really don't think we are overflowing just yet, more like just back to what is normal. 

As they age out though - it will get pretty crowded in rochester.  Plus you may sign or trade for other pieces. 

2 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

As they age out though - it will get pretty crowded in rochester.  Plus you may sign or trade for other pieces. 

Ya, exactly. It's never a problem to have too many decent players. We've just been crap for so long we've forgotten times when other teams wanted the discards we threw on waivers. Man, it would be nice to have that again wouldn't it? 

Really, you end up with a prospect cupboard overflowing you simply trade some of them away for future picks. You start doing that old way back Montreal thing where you trade for somebody's first 3, 4, 5 years later and that GM makes the deal cause his job is on the line now and then your prospect cupboard overflows forever. It's never a problem. 

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, exactly. It's never a problem to have too many decent players. We've just been crap for so long we've forgotten times when other teams wanted the discards we threw on waivers. Man, it would be nice to have that again wouldn't it? 

Really, you end up with a prospect cupboard overflowing you simply trade some of them away for future picks. You start doing that old way back Montreal thing where you trade for somebody's first 3, 4, 5 years later and that GM makes the deal cause his job is on the line now and then your prospect cupboard overflows forever. It's never a problem. 

Or you go the Blackhawks (during the cup runs) route moving higher salary players for picks and prospects and just reload your depth.  It would be a wonderful problem to have and the Sabres are a minimum of 3 seasons from that point.  

/end thread 

• Like (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 3:06 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I like the draft a ton now philosophy though - figure out who's good, cut your losses on the failures and re-stock again.  

3 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

I like the draft a ton now philosophy though - figure out who's good, cut your losses on the failures and re-stock again.  

Well they have to though don't they? They traded away the big names on the roster so there has to be a return. 

The team is all in on the draft, so it simply HAS to work. If the plan was draft AND adding some free agents they could afford a few draft misses, but with this plan, the draft simply has to be very good or it'll be another decade before we see the playoffs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.