Which forward is moved first?

sweetlou

Sabres have a lot of potential young NHL talent  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which forward is moved first?

• Peyton Krebs
    • Victor Olofsson
    • Casey Mittelstadt

That’s not to say we can’t move out any one of the three. Merely that imo it would be born out of the opportunity presenting itself to get better in some sort of hockey trade: I don’t think either of the three are close to being “passed over” by internal development, particularly VO 

- - - 

Voted Casey as the one I’d guess to move under those terms of I had to guess one 

Edited by Thorny

I’ll bite since noone else will.

I said some months ago that a young player we’ll all want for the future will be moved.  

In the OPs list I’ll put Krebs 1st and Mitts 2nd.  The return will play a prominent role in pushing us into playoffs this season.

The most likely internal candidates to push for a roster spot after next season are Savoie and Rousek.  Savoie is stuck in the WHL for the next two seasons if he doesn't make the NHL roster.  He is almost certainly going back to the this coming season, but I doubt it will be in his best interest to play in Juniors in 2023/24.

As to Rousek, Peca's comments gave me the impression that he might be ready for NHL depth duty later this coming season.  

Bjork may be gone by the end of camp.  Beyond him the two most likely candidates to move on are Girgensons and Hinostroza whose contracts expire after next season.  KO is also an UFA and Asplund an RFA after next season.

Assuming they extend our best defensive forward (Asplund) and our leader (KO), you might have a lineup that looks something like this;

Krebs Thompson Quinn

Skinner Mitts VO

Asplund Cozens KO

JJP Savoie Tuch

Rousek

The following year VO is almost certainly gone to save cap space.  Krebs and Mitts will be RFA, but only Mitts has arbitration rights.  Their departure will depend on their performance, team performance, contract cost and the development of guys like JJP, Quinn, and Savoie in the NHL plus Rosen and Kulich in the AHL.  For example, if keeping Mitts is to expensive and Krebs and or Savoie are ready to play center in the NHL, then I can easily see KA moving Mitts to restock the cupboard.  

So if he moves out any young player in favor of another I'd rank them in the following order from most likely to least

Most - Asplund, then VO, then Mitts, then Krebs, then Cozens is least. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

We should not trade any.  Let’s just see what the rookies Quinn and Peterka do before we start moving out forwards. Especially surprised to see Krebs on that list.  He is so young and promising.   

Let’s see the young guys take jobs away because because they are better, not because we cleared space.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I think they need all of the talented young guys to play a full season to get a better picture of who they are.

Krebs was acquired by KA so I doubt he goes anywhere soon.

VO just signed a fair contract and his scoring is required until the young guns force him down the depth chart.

We have not seen Mitts’ ceiling and he could break out this season. I don’t think it will be this year if he is moved. I voted for him because if he picks up his game he could get moved to make room at C for Cozens, Krebs, Savoie or Kulich. I see KA wanting to see what a healthy Mitts can do, to determine his value.

• Like (+1) 1

My personal opinion is none, and it’s too early to make a judgement. They’re all pretty safe for now. 
I think Mitts has been at the gym all summer long thinking Tage’s stat line was what his should have been (while the injury bug bit him). Mitts was penciled in as 1C coming out of camp. 
I think we see a very motivated player this year. He’s untouchable for me in 22-23. 
As many have said, Krebs hasn’t found his role yet. I think this season plays that out for him. 
The Sabres did not buy out VO’s first UFA season with a two year deal to trade him. 

A lot can happen between now and deadline 23-24, but I don’t see any of them going anywhere for the next twelve months. 

• Agree 1

Why would they move any of them?

VO was a big part of the offence the parts of the season his wrist wasn’t hindering him. I see him hitting 30+ this season.

I think many think this is Mitts “Tage” year where he hopefully stays healthy and breaks out.

Krebs goes nowhere that is just silly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

My personal opinion is none, and it’s too early to make a judgement. They’re all pretty safe for now. 
I think Mitts has been at the gym all summer long thinking Tage’s stat line was what his should have been (while the injury bug bit him). Mitts was penciled in as 1C coming out of camp. 
I think we see a very motivated player this year. He’s untouchable for me in 22-23. 

As many have said, Krebs hasn’t found his role yet. I think this season plays that out for him. 
The Sabres did not buy out VO’s first UFA season with a two year deal to trade him. 

A lot can happen between now and deadline 23-24, but I don’t see any of them going anywhere for the next twelve months. 

I agree with most of this, and I sure hope you’re right about the bolded.  Mitts delivering a good top 6 forward season would be a great addition to the lineup.  

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The most likely internal candidates to push for a roster spot after next season are Savoie and Rousek.  Savoie is stuck in the WHL for the next two seasons if he doesn't make the NHL roster.  He is almost certainly going back to the this coming season, but I doubt it will be in his best interest to play in Juniors in 2023/24.

As to Rousek, Peca's comments gave me the impression that he might be ready for NHL depth duty later this coming season.  

Therefore the two most likely candidates to move on are Girgensons and Hinostroza whose contract expire after next season.  KO is also an UFA and Asplund an RFA after next season.

Assuming they extend our best defensive forward (Asplund) and our leader (KO), you might have a lineup that looks something like this;

Krebs Thompson Quinn

Skinner Mitts VO

Asplund Cozens KO

JJP Savoie Tuch

Rousek

The following year VO is almost certainly gone to save cap space.  Krebs and Mitts will be RFA, but only Mitts has arbitration rights.  Their departure will depend on their performance, team performance, contract cost and the development of guys like JJP, Quinn, and Savoie in the NHL plus Rosen and Kulich in the AHL.  For example, if keeping Mitts is to expensive and Krebs and or Savoie are ready to play center in the NHL, then I can easily see KA moving Mitts to restock the cupboard.  

So if the moves out any young player in favor of another I'd rank them in the following order from most likely to least

Most - Asplund, then VO, then Mitts, then Krebs, then Cozens is least. 

Kulich 🙂

Krebs won't be moved for a few years even if he's not good because of the optics. He will get the longest and biggest chance to make his mark. 

But none of those 3 get moved any time soon imo. 

I still believe Girgensens and Okposo will be moved at the deadline if we are not in playoff contention. I know some of you want him as captain. I still think this though. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Krebs won't be moved for a few years even if he's not good because of the optics. He will get the longest and biggest chance to make his mark. 

But none of those 3 get moved any time soon imo. 

I still believe Girgensens and Okposo will be moved at the deadline if we are not in playoff contention. I know some of you want him as captain. I still think this though. 

I could envision a scenario where if Buffalo is already out of contention...Okposo is traded to a contender for a playoff run, but then re-signs with Buffalo in the off-season.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.