Flames trade Tkachuk to Panthers for monster haul headlined by Huberdeau

RVJ

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Calgary might come out of this okay in the long run. Seems the players they got don't hate the idea of staying in Calgary, somewhat like the Eichel/Tuch scenario. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/flames-huberdeau-open-long-term-contract/c-335088508

He's open to staying, but it isn't his decision.  That's up to his agent & Calgary's GM.

Translation.  He really stepped in it in the heat of the moment & is doing damage control.  And if Calgary will seriously overpay he's "open" to staying.  Sure, he might stay, but wouldn't put any money on it personally.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

He's open to staying, but it isn't his decision.  That's up to his agent & Calgary's GM.

Translation.  He really stepped in it in the heat of the moment & is doing damage control.  And if Calgary will seriously overpay he's "open" to staying.  Sure, he might stay, but wouldn't put any money on it personally.

Oh I agree, there's always double speak these days and you can't trust anybody so he might just be saying it so that fans don't hate him for his year there and he doesn't look like a villain. He's smarter than Eichel 🙂  

He at least doesn't hate the idea though. Calgary fans have to take that on faith at this point and hope. 

We, as a franchise, have to start winning so that players stop putting us on 10 team no trade lists. 

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Calgary might come out of this okay in the long run. Seems the players they got don't hate the idea of staying in Calgary, somewhat like the Eichel/Tuch scenario. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/flames-huberdeau-open-long-term-contract/c-335088508

You honestly think they would say something different?

They will both be free agents and test the market next year 

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Agree 1

On 7/24/2022 at 11:26 AM, Curt said:

The Flames are going to have the same issue retaining Huberdeau and Weegar that they had with Tkachuk though.  Both are only under contract for 1 season.

They can get a LOT for them at the TD if they aren't going to re-sign.

Huberdeau should bring a king's ransom...at least a 1st, a 2nd and an NHL ready young player.

Weegar is a top 4 RHD, he'll get a 1st plus.

So, at least 3 firsts, a 2nd a young player and Schwindt for kachuk and a conditional 4th.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

They can get a LOT for them at the TD if they aren't going to re-sign.

Huberdeau should bring a king's ransom...at least a 1st, a 2nd and an NHL ready young player.

Weegar is a top 4 RHD, he'll get a 1st plus.

So, at least 3 firsts, a 2nd a young player and Schwindt for kachuk and a conditional 4th.

It’s true that they could get a lot at the deadline, theoretically.  It’s going to be an excruciating situation though.

I expect that the Flames will still be a good team.  I think they will be a playoff team.

If it’s coming down to deadline and they are in playoff position but haven’t made progress towards a contract with Huberdeau/Weegar, what do they do?

Can they really justify selling those guys to ownership or to the fans if they are a playoff team?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

It’s true that they could get a lot at the deadline, theoretically.  It’s going to be an excruciating situation though.

I expect that the Flames will still be a good team.  I think they will be a playoff team.

If it’s coming down to deadline and they are in playoff position but haven’t made progress towards a contract with Huberdeau/Weegar, what do they do?

Can they really justify selling those guys to ownership or to the fans if they are a playoff team?

They have to trade them.

If  you are the GM, would you like to lose 2 more players?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Curt said:

3 hours ago, Ducky said:

They have to trade them.

Good stuff here boys.  I think @Ducky is right though — they have to trade them.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ducky said:

They have to trade them.

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Good stuff here boys.  I think @Ducky is right though — they have to trade them.  

I don’t disagree that it’s in the long term best interest of the team, but I’m skeptical that they would.  The prospect of missing out on the playoffs (and the wads of cash that come with it) and the fan optics of giving up on the season might be too much to overcome.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I don’t disagree that it’s in the long term best interest of the team, but I’m skeptical that they would.  The prospect of missing out on the playoffs (and the wads of cash that come with it) and the fan optics of giving up on the season might be too much to overcome.

I might agree if they hadn’t just lost Gaudreau for nothing, but I don’t think they can live with a similar outcome with Hubie and Weegar.  

What is Calgary actually going to do with Weegar (age 28) and Huberdeau (age 29)?  I'm sure both guys want big $ and at least 6 year term.  At their age those contracts would age terribly just like the Athletic predicted for Skinner's deal.

If I'm Calgary,  I trading one or both at the deadline if they aren't in a playoff spot.  

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Why are we assuming neither player is open to a long-term deal in Calgary? 
Or is this just an assumption that Calgary isn’t interested in the player long-term? 

No idea why Weegar is presumed to be bolting at the end of the year.  Huberduberdeau (face it, that sounds way cooler than plain old Huberdeau 😉 ) said immediately upon getting traded that he would not sign an extension w/ Calgary.  He's since walked it back sort of.  He's "open" to staying but it isn't his decision.  Mongo only pawn in game of life.  It's up to his agent & the GM.  (What a tool.)

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

If Calgary is battling for a playoff spot, and they likely will be, or have already locked one in, they won’t be able to trade these 2 players. It’ll make no sense for a GM to dump 2 star players heading into the playoffs. So, we’ll have Gaudreau 2.0. 

34 minutes ago, kas23 said:

If Calgary is battling for a playoff spot, and they likely will be, or have already locked one in, they won’t be able to trade these 2 players. It’ll make no sense for a GM to dump 2 star players heading into the playoffs. So, we’ll have Gaudreau 2.0. 

And there's the rub.  If they're out of the hunt, it's a no brainer.  But this is a team that won its division & a round of the playoffs.  They have to expect making the playoffs & if they can't sign 1 or both before the trade deadline find themselves in a spot where they might have to say that year's playoff run, a prospect, & a 1st in 2 years plus whatever they can get before the draft for negotiating rights is all 1 year of Tkachuck was worth.  Because it'll be a hard sell to the fans that a couple more high picks & a couple more prospects were worth throwing away this season's run.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If they didn’t have a deal in place prior to the trade, to sign and extend Huberdeau and Weeger, I would have told Florida to go back to the drawing board. 

And if Florida tells Travailling (sp?) to go pound salt, what then?

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Would be a problem if there were only two teams in the NHL. 😉

Clearly Travailling thought the Florida deal was the best he could get.  So, again, if he asks for more (& getting a deal signed/ agreed to w/ both Huberduberdeau & Weegar is asking for & getting more) & Florida says no, take the deal we've offered or walk, then what?

59 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And if Florida tells Travailling (sp?) to go pound salt, what then?

Treliving.  Just for clarity.

51 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Would be a problem if there were only two teams in the NHL. 😉

There are more teams, but not necessarily any offering something better than Florida's deal that Treliving agreed to. So, if you tell them to go the drawing board that's fine, but if they never come back... then what?  Resort to the next best deal which could be considerably worse? Hold out until someone gets desperate?

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Clearly Travailling thought the Florida deal was the best he could get.  So, again, if he asks for more (& getting a deal signed/ agreed to w/ both Huberduberdeau & Weegar is asking for & getting more) & Florida says no, take the deal we've offered or walk, then what?

Without knowing what other offers were out there, I guess they took what they felt was the best one. 

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If I'm Calgary,  I trading one or both at the deadline if they aren't in a playoff spot.  

But what if they're not signed and CGY is in a playoff spot?

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

said immediately upon getting traded that he would not sign an extension w/ Calgary.

I've seen that reported, but never as a direct quote.  It was always an "insider take" when I saw it.

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

It kind of *does* make you feel better about how Kevyn handled the Eichel trade though, innit?

4 hours ago, LTS said:

Treliving.  Just for clarity.

There is nothing clear about the spelling of that name.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LTS said:

There are more teams, but not necessarily any offering something better than Florida's deal that Treliving agreed to. So, if you tell them to go the drawing board that's fine, but if they never come back... then what?  Resort to the next best deal which could be considerably worse? Hold out until someone gets desperate?

You forgot to mention the option of having your buddy and former teammate who's now a member of the media make up some BS competitive offer to light a fire under your trade partner.

image.thumb.png.32f02498d7d8ef09ead09b6155d539b1.png

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.