Flames trade Tkachuk to Panthers for monster haul headlined by Huberdeau

RVJ

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Calgary is the team that is now all in for this one season.  Calgary fans are going to watch Gadreau, Tkachuk, and Huberdeau all reject them in the span of two years.  Sucks for them.

If Calgary is all in now, it's all in with a pair of twos.  Calgary doesn't need a complete teardown like Chicago does now or Florida likely will in a couple of years, but it needs to retool.  They look like the 2007 or maybe even 2010 Sabres to me, and I'm not sure they're going to make the right moves (as the Sabres didn't).  This past season was their best shot for a while, IMO.

Edited by Eleven

30 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If Calgary is all in now, it's all in with a pair of twos.  Calgary doesn't need a complete teardown like Chicago does now or Florida likely will in a couple of years, but it needs to retool.  They look like the 2007 or maybe even 2010 Sabres to me, and I'm not sure they're going to make the right moves (as the Sabres didn't).  This past season was their best shot for a while, IMO.

True, they will probably not be as good as this past season, because they lost Gudreau, but assuming Tkachuk = Huberdeau, they did add Weegar who is a good top-4 defenseman, and have some cap space, so they could potentially take a run at someone like Kadri.  I think that they could still be excellent next season.

The problem is that if Huberdeau, or Weegar, won’t resign I find it hard to believe that they will move them at the deadline.  I think they would ride it out and end up losing them for nothing.  I don’t really think they are going to end up retooling.  I think they are going to lose their best players and drift into mediocrity.  I think this is their last shot.

Edited by Curt

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

A lot of people, myself included assume Tkachuk is built for playoff hockey and will be a beast. This is a small sam0le but in 27 games he has 15 points.

Huberdeau has 21 points in 26 playoff games.

Calgary will struggle to sign both of these guys in my opinion. If they have to move them at the deadline it really disrupts their chance at a deep playoff run.

Both teams might be worse off this season.

Calgary is going to be not so great next year I am guessing

If Huberdeau really has no interest in signing long term with the Flames, they may move him before the season even starts.  If not, definitely move him at the deadline.   Same goes for Weegar.  

They already lost Gaudreau with nothing to show for it.  No way they are letting that happen with Huberdeau and Weeger. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Curt said:

assuming Tkachuk = Huberdeau,

Nope.

And they did add Weegar.  That, I suppose, is something.

Their best goaltender couldn't wash Don Edwards's gloves, though, and although they're in the weakest division in the league, that division still does have McDavid.

I really think they peaked a couple of months ago.

39 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If Huberdeau really has no interest in signing long term with the Flames, they may move him before the season even starts.  If not, definitely move him at the deadline.   Same goes for Weegar.  

They already lost Gaudreau with nothing to show for it.  No way they are letting that happen with Huberdeau and Weeger. 

Agreed, but in doing so, they would be entering into a rebuild. Do they want one more year to see if they can win? I guess they can wait till the deadline to see which way the wind is blowing. Would dump them either to Nashville or Dallas. 

Gaudreau and Huberdeau are the same age. They play the same position and are, statistically, nearly the same player. If the Flames were to get Huberdeau and Weegar signed long-term, it would almost be like they just swapped out Tkachuk for Weegar and added a prospect and 1st RD pick.

The Flames lack a true elite defender, but their back-end, starting in goal and through their top 6 D, is awfully good. 

• Like (+1) 1

It just seems pretty likely that at least 1 of Hubie and Weegar isn't going to re-sign with Calgary, especially since they both came from Florida, which most Canadian NHL players seem to love, and given the twitter reports about Hubie already saying he's not re-signing.  So, unless Calgary signs them this summer, their impending departures are going to hang over the team all year, and they will most likely be traded at the deadline.

I think it would've been wiser for Calgary to trade Tkachuk for younger players that they could keep control of for several year.  This seems like an ill-advised, desperate move by a franchise reeling and under pressure from the departures of their 2 best players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

37 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It just seems pretty likely that at least 1 of Hubie and Weegar isn't going to re-sign with Calgary, especially since they both came from Florida, which most Canadian NHL players seem to love, and given the twitter reports about Hubie already saying he's not re-signing.  So, unless Calgary signs them this summer, their impending departures are going to hang over the team all year, and they will most likely be traded at the deadline.

I think it would've been wiser for Calgary to trade Tkachuk for younger players that they could keep control of for several year.  This seems like an ill-advised, desperate move by a franchise reeling and under pressure from the departures of their 2 best players.

Yep, it's the equivalent of matching the Vanek offer sheet.  (Which I maintain Regier absolutely had to do.)

Edited by Eleven
  • Agree 1

The more I think about it, the more I think both sides lose this trade in the short term.  Florida's defence looks terrible for a top team while, if the rumours are true, Calgary is only covered for one year.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

The more I think about it, the more I think both sides lose this trade in the short term.  Florida's defence looks terrible for a top team while, if the rumours are true, Calgary is only covered for one year.

These guys are pros but the chemistry is affected as well.

Florida had Huberdeau as a long time core player and Weegar was a key piece.

They may be disgruntled to be in Calgary.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I agree with this.  although Florida got younger and tougher, they also got slower and worse on D and they changed the chemistry of a very successful team.  And I could easily see Calgary going into a nose dive.

Florida is still going to be a very tough opponent for the Sabres though.

• Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

losing a player like MT is a long term hit to Calgary and a win for Florida.  He will make Florida harder to play against and he will be there for awhile.   Florida can shore up their defense via trades and free agents.  They won’t be doing it through the draft anytime soon.  Another first rounder is gone.  

• Like (+1) 1

Maurice is bringing Kompon with him and word has it that Huddy will be going there.

Ekblad Montour Gudas Staal Forsling Sjalin Carlsson Bitetto are their D men and they trade Weegar??????????

Good move for the Flames under the conditions...not sure what Florida is thinking but you would think they are going to do something to help their D corps?

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.