Flames trade Tkachuk to Panthers for monster haul headlined by Huberdeau

RVJ

8 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I don't understand this for Florida.. I'm not super up on each player, but they seem fairly even and Florida added?

Theory:

1.) Huberdeau was going to want close to the dollar value that Tkachuk would want if he extended, they did not want to give a 30+ year old guy that money.  Florida as a 'presidents trophy' contending team keeps their window open longer with Tkachuk in 3-4+ years from now than they would with an aging Huberdeau.

2.) As good as Huberdeau is, they lost to Tampa the past couple years with him. Going from an ultra-skilled guy like him to a younger, tougher, goal scoring winger like Tkachuk, they might view that 'change' in style as something that will work better for them in the playoffs.

3.) Weeger is a UFA after this year, likely going to want a raise over his current $3.25.  It would be hard to fit him in next year at a higher rate, might as well use him now as part of the package to get MT, for the above 2 reassons.

I think for Florida, this trade makes them slightly worse or maybe the same overall as they would have been without this trade, but I can see them thinking 'changing things up' might help them in the playoffs. However this makes them better 2-4 years out because of the age of the main pieces.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Seems that Huberdeau has already stated that he will not sign an extension, but that is questionalbe reporting at best (some guy on Twitter).

As stated in the not dedicated thread ... Florida will rue the day they traded away Weegar come the 2023 ECF or SCF.

T for H is a wash right now, but the 8 year extension will benefit Florida in as early as a year from now.

2 minutes ago, steveoath said:

And florida have no first round picks until 2026 I think.

Win now mode.  They better hope that T is their Butch or Ronnie / Ulf.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Theory:

1.) Huberdeau was going to want close to the dollar value that Tkachuk would want if he extended, they did not want to give a 30+ year old guy that money.  Florida as a 'presidents trophy' contending team keeps their window open longer with Tkachuk in 3-4+ years from now than they would with an aging Huberdeau.

2.) As good as Huberdeau is, they lost to Tampa the past couple years with him. Going from an ultra-skilled guy like him to a younger, tougher, goal scoring winger like Tkachuk, they might view that 'change' in style as something that will work better for them in the playoffs.

3.) Weeger is a UFA after this year, likely going to want a raise over his current $3.25.  It would be hard to fit him in next year at a higher rate, might as well use him now as part of the package to get MT, for the above 2 reassons.

I think for Florida, this trade makes them slightly worse or maybe the same overall as they would have been without this trade, but I can see them thinking 'changing things up' might help them in the playoffs. However this makes them better 2-4 years out because of the age of the main pieces.

Will be interested to see if Huberdeau comes back to the Cats after his year in Alberta.  Very surprised he was dealt as he & Ekblad seemed like they'd be lifers there.

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Will be interested to see if Huberdeau comes back to the Cats after his year in Alberta.  Very surprised he was dealt as he & Ekblad seemed like they'd be lifers there.

Even if Huberdeau wanted to return, Florida would need to do A LOT of roster shuffling in order to afford him.

Even if they do lock Huberdeau up long term, it’ll be on the wrong side of 30. Florida gets a 100 point winger locked up through his prime years, instead. 

Florida gets better, don’t really like the deal for Calgary. Basically a rental they’ll likely need to flip 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Even if they do lock Huberdeau up long term, it’ll be on the wrong side of 30. Florida gets a 100 point winger locked up through his prime years, instead. 

Florida gets better, don’t really like the deal for Calgary. Basically a rental they’ll likely need to flip 

I agree, I think it's a great trade for Florida long term. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This was max value for Calgary. Their D (which already is good) got better, they replaced the lost offense (Mac and Hub are both Canadian—may increase odds of re-signing), they got a guy who scored 20 goals in the AHL last year as a rookie, and a first round pick…all for a guy who didn’t want to be there anymore.

Maybe you were expecting a full on re-build after losing their top line? If that’s the case, now they don’t have to immediately. They get another kick at the can with a veteran coach.  
And as you said, deadline rental deals for Mac & Hub (if things don’t go well) will bring back lots of value.

I think they did great. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I think they gave up a lot and I am not sure it makes them better short term...maybe long term but they are going to be running into cap constraints within a year or two.

Florida not having 1st round picks will make it tough to replenish their roster with top notch ELC guys.

They are almost like Vegas.

• Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Florida not having 1st round picks will make it tough to replenish their roster with top notch ELC guys.

They are almost like Vegas.

Yep.  Like several people, I think starting with @LGR4GM in the other thread, have stated, this is it for Florida.  They're all in for the next two years, and then they're going to have some work to do.  Unless stupid teams start taking contracts off their hands--and even then, no picks, as you say.

A lot of people, myself included assume Tkachuk is built for playoff hockey and will be a beast. This is a small sam0le but in 27 games he has 15 points.

Huberdeau has 21 points in 26 playoff games.

Calgary will struggle to sign both of these guys in my opinion. If they have to move them at the deadline it really disrupts their chance at a deep playoff run.

Both teams might be worse off this season.

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Seems that Huberdeau has already stated that he will not sign an extension, but that is questionalbe reporting at best (some guy on Twitter).

As stated in the not dedicated thread ... Florida will rue the day they traded away Weegar come the 2023 ECF or SCF.

T for H is a wash right now, but the 8 year extension will benefit Florida in as early as a year from now.

Was reported not just by some guy, but by the After The Whistle podcast account.  Thats Andrew Peters and Craig Rivet.

This feels like a Hail Mary all in for one year move for Calgary, and a long term play for Florida.  Florida changed out their 30 year old star winger on a 1 year deal for a 25 year old star winger on a 8 year deal.  It cost them a couple other pieces, but they can find a way to fill holes.  Calgary acquired a couple good players on 1 year deals who might not want to resign.  Calgary got better for 2022-23, but with a lot of long term uncertainty.  Florida got a little worse in 2022-23 but set themselves up better for the long term.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm a little curious to see if Calgary made a play for Reinhart, and how receptive FL would have been for that. Many people stated (from many media sources) that Reinhart really wanted to play in Western Canada/closer to 'home'.  He's from Vancouver, and next to Seattle, no other NHL city is closer to Vancouver than Calgary. They also would have gotten a guy under control for a few years at a decent contract.

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

Was reported not just by some guy, but by the After The Whistle podcast account.  Thats Andrew Peters and Craig Rivet.

MacKenzie Weegar is also Craig Rivet's cousin.  Not saying that was the source but Rivet might have some insider info on this one.

Edited by Digger
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Florida will have $4M ish extra room next season when the Yandle buyout isn't so horrible. Buy they look like there are a lot of RFAs to pay. What's their prospect pool like? 

Not great especially if you don’t count Knight as a prospect anymore.

People are right. Florida are all in for the next couple years. The problem is this trade weakened them for those two years. Their depth up front is questionable and their D corps is suspect. They have cap problems and are running out of assets to bring in reinforcements.

My only Panthers friend is not happy they gave up Huberdeau.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Not great especially if you don’t count Knight as a prospect anymore.

People are right. Florida are all in for the next couple years. The problem is this trade weakened them for those two years. Their depth up front is questionable and their D corps is suspect. They have cap problems and are running out of assets to bring in reinforcements.

My only Panthers friend is not happy they gave up Huberdeau.

I actually disagree.  I think this trade sets up Florida better long term, not short term.  They exchanged a 29 yr old on a 1 year deal for a 24 year old on an 8 year deal.  They now have a core of 6 top-6 quality forwards and a #1 defenseman all age 24-26, along with a high potential C and G age 20 and 21 respectively.  They will try to keep as many of those guys together as long as possible and fill in around them.  They were going to have cap issues a couple years from now regardless of whether they made this deal or not.  All good teams do eventually.  A couple years from now they will find a way to ditch Bob and open up some space.

Calgary is the team that is now all in for this one season.  Calgary fans are going to watch Gadreau, Tkachuk, and Huberdeau all reject them in the span of two years.  Sucks for them.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.