Arttu Ruotsalainen leaving for Switzerland

LGR4GM

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not really.  Here is a center we needed for the AHL and who might have contributed to the Sabres who is now gone without any assets returning the other way.

Well, he didn't want to play in Rochester and didn't have to. I doubt he'd have been super happy on a two-way on another team either so trading him wasn't likely. Plus he's getting paid in chocolate watches now so that's a plus.

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Was this bad asset management? The kid is close to being an NHLer.  AZ, Chi and Mon among others all need cheap depth.  Could he have been traded to someone for a late pick where he’d have a better opportunity?

Was it bad asset management... to what? He's not an nhl player and we still retain his rights. 

If this is bad asset management, you'll have to explain how acquiring a pick for Butcher (BASICALLY the same thing you're asking for) was also bad asset management. 

There's no place for Ruotsalainen in Buffalo and no team is giving us anything for him. That's why he went to Switzerland. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not really.  Here is a center we needed for the AHL and who might have contributed to the Sabres who is now gone without any assets returning the other way.

What asset do you think you could have gotten for him? A six or seventh round pick in 2032? There is an underlining story to the departure of Arttu that is positive. It's that he wouldn't be able to make the NHL team because the talent base has increased to the point where he wasn't simply good enough. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What asset do you think you could have gotten for him? A six or seventh round pick in 2032? There is an underlining story to the departure of Arttu that is positive. It's that he wouldn't be able to make the NHL team because the talent base has increased to the point where he wasn't simply good enough. 

He probably isn’t good enough for Arizona or Chicago, realistically.   

Kid wants to be paid as much as he can.  He’ll probably make more in the Swiss league than he would in the AHL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

He probably isn’t good enough for Arizona or Chicago, realistically.   

Kid wants to be paid as much as he can.  He’ll probably make more in the Swiss league than he would in the AHL.

I agree with you that Arttu made the right decision for himself. I wish him well. 

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I wish him well. 

Likewise… The kid is a player… Not intimidated by pressure… proved he can deliver in the clutch when it matters… Hope he gets another chance to realize his NHL dream here or elsewhere… Sabres still retain his rights…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, In The Buff said:

Is/was Arttu better than Bjork? I'd like to know why he's still on the roster

They both have fantastic, memeable names. And I'd argue Arttu is better offensively and positionally.

Bjork is on the roster for the optics of the Hall trade, he can skate/forecheck/kill penalties in a bottom line role, and he has a NHL salary that helps hit the floor. It remains to be seen whether he makes the opening night roster. Hinostroza starts over him. If JJP and Quinn make the team out of camp, the Bjork is the odd man out and will be an Amerk. Or maybe one of the tankers claims him.

On 7/23/2022 at 4:07 PM, In The Buff said:

Is/was Arttu better than Bjork? I'd like to know why he's still on the roster

On 7/24/2022 at 9:46 AM, DarthEbriate said:

They both have fantastic, memeable names. And I'd argue Arttu is better offensively and positionally.

Bjork is on the roster for the optics of the Hall trade, he can skate/forecheck/kill penalties in a bottom line role, and he has a NHL salary that helps hit the floor. It remains to be seen whether he makes the opening night roster. Hinostroza starts over him. If JJP and Quinn make the team out of camp, the Bjork is the odd man out and will be an Amerk. Or maybe one of the tankers claims him.

Bjork is on the roster because he has a contract. Ask again in October (I’m guessing you won’t have to). 

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Bjork is on the roster because he has a contract. Ask again in October (I’m guessing you won’t have to). 

I'm thinking Bjork's 50/50 on being in Rochester opening night.

All the young forwards (JJP/Quinn/ heck, even Krebs (if we signed a... Kadri or Victor Rask or Angry Larry type Eakin-replacement) are waivers exempt, but on the D-side only Pilut is. I can see carrying 8 D (Clague/Fitz) while Pilut starts the season as 1D in Rochester. And then it's a question of how many rookies to weave in at a time: just Quinn for the first couple months... or can JJP and Quinn and Krebs be an aggressive youth line and we forgive them their mistakes and occasionally worry about them getting caught in their D zone by some cycling vets.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:00 AM, DarthEbriate said:

Arttu! Where are you?

Switzerland. The answer is Switzerland.

There goes a great name and a very good AHLer (he rose to the challenge of the playoffs quite nicely). He never got the top six look in Buffalo (mostly lined up with Bjork and/or Hayden) that would have been required to showcase his offense. Maybe this season would've worked as a 13F and rolling four attacking lines. But alas --- best of luck to him.

definitely not the worst place in the world to end up.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.