Peace Bridge: $8US $10.25CN

JoeSchmoe

5 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Just a PSA on how much border crossings have shot up in price. Apparently it's still $4US on EZ Pass. I just ordered mine.

Any word on what Rainbow or Queenston-Lewiston are going for these days?

Does anyone know if there's a backstory behind the price hike?

It costs me $5 just to go to New Jersey so $4 or even $8 for an international crossing doesn't seem crazy. Cross the GW Bridge some time for poops and grins. $16 or $13.75 E-ZPass.

• Shocked 1

10 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Just a PSA on how much border crossings have shot up in price. Apparently it's still $4US on EZ Pass. I just ordered mine.

I think the Rainbow Bridge is still $4, I saw the sign when we took some family that came to visit up to Niagara Falls...the parking has gotten ridiculous tho...$25 now. 

I haven't used the Peace Bridge in like 15 years or so...almost always take the Lewiston-Queenston bridge...typically far less busy as it's the least well known of the 3.

Used to love the Whirlpool bridge as that was almost empty before they made it a NEXUS only bridge.

The whirlpool Bridge is great but I have nexus, sadly when I'm going to Canada, some of my friends don't have nexus so I have to take a different bridge. 

The thing that is frustrating is that inflation in some of these things seems to have gone higher than expected, I know my pay hasn't changed in years basically and some people aren't having a lot of luck keeping up with inflation. 

I remember when it cost 1 'token' to cross the Peace Bridge.  Used to by them for 50 cents (Canadian or US) bag of 20 for $10 (Canadian or US ... depending on what side you bought them on).

I also remember that the Peace Bridge was paid for in about 1960.

My grandfather (a boilermaker) helped build it.  He was born (1900) and lived his early life in Buffalo.  In 1935 (roughtly) they built their home way out in the middle of nowhere ... Elma.  My mom was born (1938) in that house.  Well, technically in the barn, because the house was not finished yet.  My cousin now lives in that house ... renowed so much that the original is hardly recognizable from the outside, but inside parts are still intact and remain as they were in my youth.  I have not been there in about 25 years.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly details ...
  • Like (+1) 5

15 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

You're JUST NOW getting an EZ Pass?  Who are you people?!

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I remember when it cost 1 'token' to cross the Peace Bridge.  Used to by them for 50 cents (Canadian or US) bag of 20 for $10 (Canadian or US ... depending on what side you bought them on).

I also remember that the Peace Bridge was paid for in about 1960.

My grandfather (a boilermaker) helped build it.  He was born (1900) and lived his early life in Buffalo.  In 1935 (roughtly) they built their home way out in the middle of nowhere ... Elma.  My mom was born (1938) in that house.  Well, technically in the barn, because the house was not finished yet.  My cousin now lives in that house ... renowed so much that the original is hardly recognizable from the outside, but inside parts are still intact and remain as they were in my youth.  I have not been there in about 25 years.

What road, out or curiosity? I grew up on the Elma/EA line (literally, across the street the zipcode was Elma).

It's possible the rates are up to cover maintenance. The maintenance costs would be fairly static, but far fewer trips this year to pay for them.

• Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

You're JUST NOW getting an EZ Pass?  Who are you people?!

I live in Canada. There's no need for ez Pass here other then when I'm crossing a bridge into the USA or Grand Island, or using the Thruway once or twice a year to go to the Adirondacks.

21 minutes ago, MattPie said:

What road, out or curiosity? I grew up on the Elma/EA line (literally, across the street the zipcode was Elma).

It's possible the rates are up to cover maintenance. The maintenance costs would be fairly static, but far fewer trips this year to pay for them.

Winspear Road at Knabb.

• Like (+1) 1

I chuckled as I drove under the Peace. Bridge while on the 190 yesterday.  Same old BS.  Truck traffic backed up 2/3 of the way.  Could have had a new bridge, and separated the car and truck traffic, but no…might impact bird flight patterns…you know the birds who are too stupid and would fly into a new structure that wasn’t there previously. 

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I chuckled as I drove under the Peace. Bridge while on the 190 yesterday.  Same old BS.  Truck traffic backed up 2/3 of the way.  Could have had a new bridge, and separated the car and truck traffic, but no…might impact bird flight patterns…you know the birds who are too stupid and would fly into a new structure that wasn’t there previously. 

The money was there; both federal governments were on board.  Just had to get the local "signature bridge" proponents to stop their tantrum and accept the good rather than continue to hold out for the great.  30 years later ...

• Like (+1) 5

Buffalo has done a nice job to revitalize the waterfront and there is still more happening and more to come.  But things are slow and political, like many cities.  

The Peace Bridge replaced with signature bridge is not talked about anymore.

A downtown Dome Football Stadium is not gonna happen. 

What to do with the Skyway is always an interesting topic.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Buffalo has done a nice job to revitalize the waterfront and there is still more happening and more to come.  But things are slow and political, like many cities.  

It is a shame my old hometown can't seem to get some of these things done.

From the time there was talks of a Bass Pro Shop maybe coming to Colorado Springs till I was shopping at it was less than 2 years.

4 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

PSA you can cross the Peace Bridge for free if you walk or bike. 

Wait. I’ve always crossed (long long ago in a reality far far away) at the rainbow bridge and when walking over, you paid a few dollars at a turnstile when returning to the states.

Peace Bridge is entirely free going to Canada and returning if going on foot and bike?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 9:15 AM, Pimlach said:

Meanwhile, the Gordie Howe Bridge in Detroit is coming along just fine in terms of construction. Then again, will they raze the rickety and antiquated Ambassador Bridge once Gordie is completed?

On 7/23/2022 at 2:48 PM, Cheektorado said:

It is a shame my old hometown can't seem to get some of these things done.

From the time there was talks of a Bass Pro Shop maybe coming to Colorado Springs till I was shopping at it was less than 2 years.

I never understood how Bass Pro was supposed to be an economic engine that would save downtown Buffalo. We have a Bass Pro in Cincinnati that's the anchor tenant in a dead mall. It couldn't even save a single mall, nevertheless a whole city.

• Agree 1

On 7/23/2022 at 10:15 AM, Pimlach said:

The Skyway issue was discussed for so many years. When it came down to computing the total costs of bringing it down and the costs of adding new roadways it was simply too much because it would crowd out so many other worthy projects. It was decided to spread the money around to a number of other projects rather than use it up on one project. I think it was the right decision at the time. 

In contrast to the Peace Bridge project as @Taro Tstated after years if not decades of discussion everything fell into place for building another bridge on the West Side. Both the unyielding environmentalists and the Signature Bridge fanatics killed the project that was ready to go. The unwillingness to compromise is a mentality that has set this community and country back. On the positive side, a lot has been done by the cooperation between the developers and the local governance. One of the best things that has happened is that an outside developer like Douglas Jemal has been able to establish a good relationship with the local government/s and get projects on the drawing board completed. 

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Looks like the two NF area bridges are cheaper. Peace Bridge is $8US.

https://www.peacebridge.com/index.php/autos-passenger-vehicles/tolls

On a side note, I still haven't received anything in the mail from EZ-Pass. Am I supposed to get a sticker or something or do they just recognize my license plate?

20 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

On a side note, I still haven't received anything in the mail from EZ-Pass. Am I supposed to get a sticker or something or do they just recognize my license plate?

You should get a wallet card, a certificate suitable for framing, and a paper crown.  And a free sundae on your birthday.  At least that's what happened when I joined the Kid's Club.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.