Breakout player 2022-23

GASabresIUFAN

Breakout player 2022-23  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Breakout player 2022-23 (Pick 2)

I doubt Tnt was on anyone's radar as breakout player.  Tons of choices this year.  We have a plethora of promising rookies, maturing high draft picks, and even a FA goalie trying to establish himself as a bonafide NHL starter. 

The rookies are of course Power, JJP and Quinn.  The maturing young high draft picks are Mitts, Cozens, Krebs and Dahlin.  Of course Comrie in net is a first time starter.  Others may include developing role players like Samuelsson and Asplund who's play demands more icetime. Even established guys like Tuch and Olofsson may hit new career heights in DG's system.

My choice for breakout player is Rasmus Asplund of all people.   In his first full NHL season he quietly put together a solid offensive season while becoming the team's best defensive forward.  He showed some playmaking ability and the ability to score when the opportunity arose.   His minutes have grown with each season.  He even received Selke votes.  If deployed with Mitts fulltime, I can easily see a jump from 8g  19a to something like 13-15g and 25 or so assists.  He'll also be our top penalty killer.  Interestingly, because he often played with Mitts, his Ozone starters we 54% last season, which was a complete reversal from the genius RK who used consistently 60%+ in the D zone.

My second choice is Mitts if he can stay healthy.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I voted Dylan Cozens, I'm really hoping he turns into a Cam Neely type of player. He already sticks up for teammates, throws his body around now I'm hoping his offensive game comes around, if so he will be an awesome all around player for us.

I apparently can't read, so my 2nd is G Eric Comrie, the Sabres wanted him because they believe he is coming into his prime, which Adams said in the interview after FA. If we can get 2nd half Sabres along with stable goaltending we will be golden.

Edited by GoPuckYourself
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I voted Cozens and Samuelsson (and if Labatt also voted Samuelsson, something's up, because this still shows only one vote for him).

Tuch and Dahlin already are "broken out" as far as I'm concerned.

I added Dahlin and Tuch, because I think there is yet another level possible in their games.  I saw what JT Miller and Kadri accomplished last season even though they were established and productive veterans, yet they managed to find an even higher level in the right situation.  I feel Dahlin is developing kind of like Hedman who had a breakout at 23 (55pts) another at 26 (72 pts) and one more last year at 31 (85 pts).

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

40 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I voted Cozens and Samuelsson (and if Labatt also voted Samuelsson, something's up, because this still shows only one vote for him).

Tuch and Dahlin already are "broken out" as far as I'm concerned.

I think I screwed up my vote the 1st time around.  😉

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I doubt Tnt was on anyone's radar as breakout player.  Tons of choices this year.  We have a plethora of promising rookies, maturing high draft picks, and even a FA goalie trying to establish himself as a bonafide NHL starter. 

The rookies are of course Power, JJP and Quinn.  The maturing young high draft picks are Mitts, Cozens, Krebs and Dahlin.  Of course Comrie in net is a first time starter.  Others may include developing role players like Samuelsson and Asplund who's play demands more icetime. Even established guys like Tuch and Olofsson may hit new career heights in DG's system.

My choice for breakout player is Rasmus Asplund of all people.   In his first full NHL season he quietly put together a solid offensive season while becoming the team's best defensive forward.  He showed some playmaking ability and the ability to score when the opportunity arose.   His minutes have grown with each season.  He even received Selke votes.  If deployed with Mitts fulltime, I can easily see a jump from 8g  19a to something like 13-15g and 25 or so assists.  He'll also be our top penalty killer.  Interestingly, because he often played with Mitts, his Ozone starters we 54% last season, which was a complete reversal from the genius RK who used consistently 60%+ in the D zone.

My second choice is Mitts if he can stay healthy.

Except we have multiple threads at the start of 2021 predicting he’d well exceed peoples expectations….  Just because you were wrong doesn’t mean everyone else was too. Maybe you should keep your opinions out of threads like this. 

• Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Except we have multiple threads at the start of 2021 predicting he’d well exceed peoples expectations….  Just because you were wrong doesn’t mean everyone else was too. Maybe you should keep your opinions out of threads like this. 

43 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

This is obnoxious.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

What I like about this topic is that in looking at the list of 14 players, aside from perhaps Tuch because he is a more established veteran, the other 13 would appear to be more likely than not to either establish themselves as contributing NHL players for the first time(JJP, Quinn Power), or have improved performance this season as compared with last year, or even their best demonstrated performance in their career. It's a lot of upside. Granted, it won't all come to fruition but it's very possible 3/4's of these guys move ahead in their career progression and this team makes a larger leap in the standings than the pundits expect.  I'm excited to see how it plays out. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

It would truly be great if it was in fact Comrie, but I doubt it. 

I'd like it to be Cozens, but it might take another year on top of this one for the real "breakout". 

Dahlin might be even better, but incrementally, not really a breakout. Tuch is already what Tuch is, and that's good enough. 

So let's be hopeful and say Mitts. It would certainly elevate us higher than I expect. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.