Sabres Prospect Challenge September 15-19.

Brawndo

1 minute ago, phil_soisson said:

Really impressed with Seth Appert with media after first rookies practice,...very articulate. https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/seth-appert-91422/t-277437090/c-12750648

He has an upbeat personality that works well with developing young talent. If he speaks to the kids like he does to the media the messages will be clear and easy to understand.

Seth and DG probably share tons of ideas on development. They have lots of experience in common from their USNDTP days.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I have never been to the harborcenter for any kind of game even practice.  I'm considering buying a ticket to one of the non-sabres games (hopefully can sit right up front) just to see what the experience is like.

Definitely go! It’s worth the experience.

And if sitting really close to the glass is important to you then get there early. I personally don’t like sitting right against the glass, for any hockey game. If given the choice, I like sitting above the level of the glass about 7-10 rows up. Personal preference.

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I have never been to the harborcenter for any kind of game even practice.  I'm considering buying a ticket to one of the non-sabres games (hopefully can sit right up front) just to see what the experience is like.

In the past, I will go stand at ice level behind the net for a period.   It is amazing how fast the game moves, and how hard the puck is shot when you are in that part of the rink. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Definitely go! It’s worth the experience.

And if sitting really close to the glass is important to you then get there early. I personally don’t like sitting right against the glass, for any hockey game. If given the choice, I like sitting above the level of the glass about 7-10 rows up. Personal preference.

This is the correct answer. Just above the glass is the best seats.  Row 12 or so for me 

Just compared the Prospects roster to the Development camp roster and outside of our drafted and signed kids, there are 4 returnees.  At forward McDonald, Olischefski and Passolt return.  (Both Olischeski and Passolt played for our affiliates last year after their college seasons ended).  On Defense Buteau returns.  I remember McDonald and Buteau standing out during the development camp. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.expectedbuffalo.com/expected-buffalo-2022-top-25-sabres-prospects-rankings/

Just to put this tournament into perspective, the Sabres are missing 13 of their top 20 prospects, 14 of Bloom is done for the tournament, including their top 4 ranked. Shows that the organization has a lot of depth at this point.

The term “Prospects” apparently has different degrees to it.   The top 4 are already at NHL level (Power and Samuelsson) or knocking on the door (Quinn, Peterka).   

The group in this tourney are essentially Junior players, a few with some pro experience.  

To be honest, like reading others opinions on these prospects, but I don't follow the team enough to really have much of an opinion on them myself. 80% of my focus is on who will be on the Sabres this year, 15% on who will be in rochester...5% on every single other player drafted or under contract that will not be in Roch or Buffalo.  Again, thanks to those who follow all these young guys and post their thoughts because its something I have a hard time following myself.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

The term “Prospects” apparently has different degrees to it.   The top 4 are already at NHL level (Power and Samuelsson) or knocking on the door (Quinn, Peterka).   

The group in this tourney are essentially Junior players, a few with some pro experience.  

Samuelsson isn't on that list. 

All “prospect” lists are all different based on the restrictions they use to define a prospect. All use an age limit of some kind.  Many use 22 or 23 and under saying that guys older than that aren’t really “developing” any longer.  Others also an NHL games qualifier to kick guys off the list saying if you have played “x” number of games you have either proven your an NHLer or your not.  I think what we have seen with Tage Thompson, that both of those qualifiers maybe overly restrictive.  

I use an expansive definition of 24 and under and the player must be waiver exempt.  Tage and Mitts being sent down after 100+ NHL games and growing from the experience taught me to use a broader approach.  This broader approach is why Krebs and Samuelsson are still on my list and not on the list sited above.  

It also varies by what criterion the writer utilizes to rank the player.  Are they using upside only, or are they using years to the NHL as a factor or in what round the player was drafted.  Do they look at a players skill set to see if it will translate to the NHL or not.

How this plays out really affects how a writer would view certain players.

For example lets look at forwards Rosen, Poltapov, Kisakov, Bloom, Nadeau and Kozak all taken in the 2021 draft.  If you rank them by where they were drafted, then you’d rank them in the order I listed them.  On the draft day that might work because that pick is a representation of the organization view of their talent, but at D+1, are those perceptions still valid?

Take CHLers Nadeau, Bloom and Kozak.

3rd rd pick Bloom had 30g 31a for 61 pts in 67 games in the OHL

4th rd pick Nadeau had 35g 43a for 78 pts in 65 games in the Q

7th rd pick Kozak had 32g 37a for 69 pts in 62 games in the WHL

Looking at these numbers alone who would rank higher?  Now add in the Bloom was off for a year and played on a bad team, Nadeau isn’t the best skater and Kozak is the only one AHL eligible even though he is only a few weeks older than Bloom and Nadeau. What about the praise Kozak received from Amerks Ast Mike Peca? Does that additional information help or hurt their rankings? Now how does their performance stack up against the 3 Euros drafted ahead of them? 

When I did my list post draft, I discounted Poltapov because it could be another 2-3 years before he comes to NA, but left Kisakov ahead of the 3 CHL players because he is already in NA and likely to suit up for the Amerks in the fall.  IMHO, when a player is going to impact the Sabres can be a deciding factor on where they are ranked. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.