Brett Murray signed to One Year 750k Contract

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

He’s definitely running out of time to lock on with the organization.  Probably just a placeholder until all the draft picks show up. 

He can stay on as an AHLer indefinitely, but he is about to be 24 and, yes, he is running out of time to show he is anything more.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Wish Brett used his size more.

He had his chance. With the influx of more talented kids, I’m not certain he’ll get another.

Agree.  When I watch him I think, does he have enough NHL speed to enable using his size?  

We could use another big forward but it’s getting crowded as we have a pile of Russians, a barrel of first round centers, and a load of players in Juniors that are improving.  

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Agree.  When I watch him I think, does he have enough NHL speed to enable using his size?  

We could use another big forward but it’s getting crowded as we have a pile of Russians, a barrel of first round centers, and a load of players in Juniors that are improving.  

IF Granato runs a true checking line Ala the LOG line, he'll get a chance due to his size when Girgensons inevitably breaks.  But if not, he might need them to get ~4-5 F's deep in injuries to get a chance.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

IF Granato runs a true checking line Ala the LOG line, he'll get a chance due to his size when Girgensons inevitably breaks.  But if not, he might need them to get ~4-5 F's deep in injuries to get a chance.

I know roles within the team mean something but with Kulich, Östlund, Savioe, Rosen plus the other 20 draft picks coming, it’s hard to see much of a role for Brett which is good for the Sabres not so much for Murray. 

Just now, inkman said:

I know roles within the team mean something but with Kulich, Östlund, Savioe, Rosen plus the other 20 draft picks coming, it’s hard to see much of a role for Brett which is good for the Sabres not so much for Murray. 

This may be the last year he gets any NHL games with the Sabres, if he gets called up.

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Have seen this on one of the other AHL deals, but really not sure what they mean by him having a higher "guaranteed" value than his minor league salary.  Might have to check around on CF to figure out what they mean.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Have seen this on one of the other AHL deals, but really not sure what they mean by him having a higher "guaranteed" value than his minor league salary.  Might have to check around on CF to figure out what they mean.

I believe it means that if he doesn’t ends up getting enough NHL time during the season to get to $275k, they will cut him a check to make up the difference at season’s end.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/18/2022 at 6:05 PM, Taro T said:

I'm not totally sure either.  My speculation is the AHL salary is divided by the games on the AHL roster and vice versa for NHL - the guarantee must be a bonus or something to the AHL number in some way.  

1 hour ago, Drag0nDan said:

I'm not totally sure either.  My speculation is the AHL salary is divided by the games on the AHL roster and vice versa for NHL - the guarantee must be a bonus or something to the AHL number in some way.  

Haven't verified it yet, but @Curt's speculation seems right.  If he doesn't end up in the NHL enough days to bump his salary up that floor, he'll end up getting an EoS bonus to bring what he actually made up to that floor.  And if he does spend enough time in the NHL that he reaches/ tops that agreed to minimum, no cash bonus.  (His bonus will have been spending time w/ the big team ((and the 3x bump in salary while he was there).)

And, Pegulas are paying good AHL money on players.  Hopefully it translates into a successful year for them too.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/18/2022 at 9:50 AM, dudacek said:

Wish Brett used his size more.

He was unleashing it a lot in the playoffs. I really think that he had been working on the hockey part of his game and his boys are just now beginning to drop.

I expect a lot more aggression.

Edited by Ogre
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.