game thread

GrimFandango

That was one helluva way to shake that softie from Umberger, way to go Miller - I am officially eating my words.

On top of that, I thought The Sabres were extremely sound defensively. Can't remember 3 open chances for Philly, plus the fact that it shows what they're capable of when they can't rely on bounces to find the mesh - Not much at all.

My three stars

3-Miller

2-Connelly

1-Briere

:D

I've gotta go with

1 - Briere

2 - Team - D

3 - Miller

Briere earned it with two picture perfect assists. It was the best team defensive effort I've seen in a while. Miller gets it for the save off the tip where it hit the post after he just got a piece of it.

I've gotta go with

1 - Briere

2 - Team - D

3 - Miller

Briere earned it with two picture perfect assists. It was the best team defensive effort I've seen in a while. Miller gets it for the save off the tip where it hit the post after he just got a piece of it.

I was thinking of the Team star myself, but Timmy really played great. I didn't think Miller had any really stupendous saves to make. Most everything was long range and from the outside. It is worth noting that the only Flyer shot to hit the goal post went off a skate before hitting it. The Flyers have relied heavily on deflections off of Sabres skates to score. Let's hope this is a frustrating loss for the Flyers and it causes them to take a few penalities in period one Tursday

What a great performance. A top 5 Connolly goal, a Miller shutout, Max getting loose, and an outstanding all-around offensive and defensive effort.

We will win on tues. (and in the next round, for that matter) if Miller plays that well again.

Yeah, baby.

Maxim Afinogenov, yes or no, slump over?

Comments????

I'll give Max the benefit of the doubt tonight and say SLUMP OVER. He looked like a different player today, and wasn't going out of his way to avoid getting hit. Did you notice though, that he rarely was given the puck to lug through the neutral zone? Especially on the PP.

The last two weeks, and even Games 1-3 of this series, Max was almost always the one responsible for breaking out and gaining the opposition zone on the PP. Today, I don't remember seeing him do this once. Drury, Connolly and Campbell were the guys most often taking it in.

Still, Max looked more comfortable with the puck on the half wall and down low, which is good to see. The instincts and speed he showed to get to the net on his goal were fantastic. I wish that MSG was broadcasting only so I could have seen Robataille diagram that play on the camera shot that shows the whole zone. I think that play was a great example of Max using his hockey sense as well as his acceleration.

Good game for Max...better game for Connolly...best game so far for Briere.

AND

By the way...holy Kalinin Batman! Dmitri has been one of our most consistent D-men throughout this series, in my opinion. I've been frustrated with him as much as anyone through the course of the season, but he looks like a different player out there in the 2nd season. He's generally calm with the puck, making good outlet passes, joining the rush when appropriate, making good decisions when to pinch, PLAYING PHYSICAL, and has been doing a really nice job of playing his man, not the puck in front of the net. He just doesn't look like the same intimidated player he was for much of the year. I think he looks confident, and is playing with some good aggression. It's been great to watch....I just hope he starts playing like this from Oct - June, instead of just April - June.

By the way...holy Kalinin Batman! Dmitri has been one of our most consistent D-men throughout this series, in my opinion. I've been frustrated with him as much as anyone through the course of the season, but he looks like a different player out there in the 2nd season. He's generally calm with the puck, making good outlet passes, joining the rush when appropriate, making good decisions when to pinch, PLAYING PHYSICAL, and has been doing a really nice job of playing his man, not the puck in front of the net. He just doesn't look like the same intimidated player he was for much of the year. I think he looks confident, and is playing with some good aggression. It's been great to watch....I just hope he starts playing like this from Oct - June, instead of just April - June.

Great observation, topshelf. Kalinin has been consistently very solid, on both ends.

Another guy who's been quietly contributing a good bit is Kotalik.

BTW, does anyone know what the story is with Hecht? Is his knee hurting? He hasn't been that effective in the series thus far but I was surprised to see him scratched. I thought the Pyatt-Gaustad-Vanek line did very well though.

Go Sabres.

Huge difference watching the game on TV vs being in the rink. None of the people near me thought Danny played anywhere close to a good game. Yes, he had 2 nice assists, but he took an incredibly stupid penalty and also had far more than his fair share of passes get intercepted and shots go wide. He also, on more than one occasion looked lost in his own end. It may very well be that he is trying to do too much, but he has not looked good IMHO for much of this series.

I hope the fact that he got 2 goals in game 4 and 2 assists in game 5 cause him to get his game back, because the Sabres will need him, and he is not there yet.

Kotalik had more good plays than bad ones, but he hung Max out to dry on a pp in the 1st and Max barely managed to dive and keep the puck away from the Phlyer forechecker. I definitely think Ales can raise his game another notch.

I was very happy with all the D-men tonight. They blocked several shots and gave Filly very little open ice down low. Several had solid hits.

To me, the 3 stars were Grier, Pyatt, and either Timmy or Ryan. Kalinin could also get an honorable mention. (Actually SEVERAL could have gotten honorable mentions.)