Adams/Granato: In for the long haul

SDS

FWIW, after an unprecedented stretch of stability with Regier/Ruff and then many years of turmoil, I think you’re looking at a 10 minimum, if not more, of these two. I would say 20, but I get the feeling that Granato might retire by then.

Even though they just kinda started, I have a sense these two will be in their jobs for as long as they want them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, SDS said:

FWIW, after an unprecedented stretch of stability with Regier/Ruff and then many years of turmoil, I think you’re looking at a 10 minimum, if not more, of these two. I would say 20, but I get the feeling that Granato might retire by then.

Even though they just kinda started, I have a sense these two will be in their jobs for as long as they want them.

If they start having continued success, they will have earned it.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Adams is absolutely in position to cement his role for a long time if the Sabres starting goaltending ever rejoins the ranks of NHL caliber starting goaltending.

Granato may be in that spot as well; too soon to say.  Because if he ends up a hockey version of Marty Schottenheimer or Chuck Knox eventually ownership will likely want to roll the dice on someone that can get them over the top.  (Presuming Granato can be as effective with a veteran team as he appears to be with a developing team.)  Almost ALL coaches get fired at some point & usually well before 10 years in 1 place.  But his demeanor & intelligence might let him be one of those rare exceptions.

All that said, hoping you're right.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Adams is absolutely in position to cement his role for a long time if the Sabres starting goaltending ever rejoins the ranks of NHL caliber starting goaltending.

Granato may be in that spot as well; too soon to say.  Because if he ends up a hockey version of Marty Schottenheimer or Chuck Knox eventually ownership will likely want to roll the dice on someone that can get them over the top.  (Presuming Granato can be as effective with a veteran team as he appears to be with a developing team.)  Almost ALL coaches get fired at some point & usually well before 10 years in 1 place.  But his demeanor & intelligence might let him be one of those rare exceptions.

All that said, hoping you're right.

I know how things usually work. I’m saying I’m putting my chips on long haulers for the both of them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

Granato was the right coaching hire for the situation that called for a major rebuild. It is abundantly evident that he excels in developing young players. The big question is how is his team going to perform when there is an expectation that his team should be competing not only to make the playoffs but to be a serious cup contender? We know he can handle the stage one and two in a rebuild i.e. deconstruction of inherited roster and construction with young players. Can he excel at the third stage when the roster is mostly set and the young players have matured and are expected to compete when the stakes are high? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

I know how things usually work. I’m saying I’m putting my chips on long haulers for the both of them. 

Hope you're right.  For our sake & theirs.  They both seem like straight shooters & bright and seem to have ownerships trust. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Granato was the right coaching hire for the situation that called for a major rebuild. It is abundantly evident that he excels in developing young players. The big question is how is his team going to perform when there is an expectation that his team should be competing not only to make the playoffs but to be a serious cup contender? We know he can handle the stage one and two in a rebuild i.e. deconstruction of inherited roster and construction with young players. Can he excel at the third stage when the roster is mostly set and the young players have matured and are expected to compete when the stakes are high? 

He's won titles in other leagues. So the concept is not unfamiliar to him.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

On another board they are hearing that Adams might move up to President with Kim’s medical situation and Ventura and Karmanos taking over the GM role. Saying it is being discussed. Who knows but it would make sense.

I don't see that.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

He's won titles in other leagues. So the concept is not unfamiliar to him.

He has.  And it's fair to believe he can at this level too.  

But he would not be the 1st nor the last to not win at the highest level even though he won at lower levels.  Our own previous # 1 example of coach as a motivator has won 3 titles at the Junior level but none at the highest level.

When nearly 97% of all coaches & teams don't win in any given year, the odds are against it even if he turns out to be the best coach this team has ever seen & even if this team is more cohesive than the '74-'75 version. 

As long as he keeps this team entertaining and he & Adams keep this team competitive (providing they get it to there), it'll be good enough IMHO.  But ain't my John Hancock on the checks.

• Like (+1) 1

I wanna see how coach G evolves with the changes we will see with the team in general as they evolve/improve. .... I think the man insightful/intelligent enough to evolve with his approach as the team grows. ..... This is gunna be cool as hell to watch close. ..... I'm confident in what they're doing. ....GO SABRES 

• Like (+1) 2

I didn’t make this comment based upon the feelings of fans. I’m saying if the Pegulas still own this team, this is your dynamic duo for as long as Adams/Granato want. This is the hockey version of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Granato needs to be successful and Adams needs a goalie.  Let's just relax and watch for a few months. 

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Granato needs to be successful and Adams needs a goalie.  Let's just relax and watch for a few months. 

Lol. The Pegula‘s have found their loyal process guys. I don’t need to relax.

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

On another board they are hearing that Adams might move up to President with Kim’s medical situation and Ventura and Karmanos taking over the GM role. Saying it is being discussed. Who knows but it would make sense.

The two president roles are very different. It's apples and oranges.

But here's my question to all of you. If we fall back and end up in 7th place in the division as the oddsmakers are predicting, does he then become yet another in the list of young inexperienced failed GMs hired by Pegula, does Granato get dumped like the inexperienced (at an NHL head coach level) coaches that preceded him or do you still give them a Lindy Ruff type long haul?

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I still find it interesting that Donnie G was sitting right there under their noses, hired by probably the worst coach they’ve ever had. 

I would love to get Granato drunk and have tell me exactly what was running thru  his mind while working for Krueger. He must have been going absolutely nuts.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Continued small steps forward in development of youth, success on the ice, and butts in the seats … KA and DG stay on to continue the ride.

Two seasons in a row of the opposite, and Pegulas probably pull the plug either that summer or shortly into the 3rd season if it trends in the same direction. I don’t think Pegulas care how nice they are or how well they get along if the team is terrible and the arena is half or more empty.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

But here's my question to all of you. If we fall back and end up in 7th place in the division as the oddsmakers are predicting, does he then become yet another in the list of young inexperienced failed GMs hired by Pegula, does Granato get dumped like the inexperienced (at an NHL head coach level) coaches that preceded him or do you still give them a Lindy Ruff type long haul?

We won't so, idc.

Oddsmakers set lines based on betting behavior. Betters in general don't follow the Sabres so it is easy for them to remember that Buffalo has missed the playoffs for 11 years and had an 18 game losing streak 2 years ago. Further, as has been repeatedly pointed out to you (even though you quite literally have ignored the posts and continue to just yap about how good Detroit and Ottawa are now) the Sabres made additions to the roster in season that a lot of the betters will miss. Vegas' job is to make money so they have to set those lines at places where the betting comes in so they make money. That comes from history and history for the last decade says the Sabres suck so of course that's where they get put.

Odds makers are often wrong so idk why you keep bringing this up like I should care. I once bet on the Sabres to beat the Leafs at +450. It was a great day.

6 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I like what Adams has done and refuses to be rushed. I'm not entirely sold on Granato, the team played hard for him but were basically given the green light to play freely, will that work now that playoffs are on the line? I hope that he does well and he's very likeable.

I don't agree at all that this is how they play. They have a system, and in some ways it mirrors the Avalanche. Attack with speed in transition, control entries, on zone exits you have an up the wall option and middle of the zone option and typically a behind the net option. Once the breakout begins it is full blast up ice to score on rushes.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, SDS said:

Only if the wins come and the fans are back.   They will get a long and fair shot to turn it around, longer than the other Pegula hires because Pegula himself started this “efficient and economic” restructuring.   He wants the Sabres to follow the Bills model.  

So, two more seasons left of rebuilding, this one and even the next.    After that, If the team still misses the playoffs there will be a change, probably coaching first.  DG will get 4 years.   

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

He has.  And it's fair to believe he can at this level too.  

But he would not be the 1st nor the last to not win at the highest level even though he won at lower levels.  Our own previous # 1 example of coach as a motivator has won 3 titles at the Junior level but none at the highest level.

When nearly 97% of all coaches & teams don't win in any given year, the odds are against it even if he turns out to be the best coach this team has ever seen & even if this team is more cohesive than the '74-'75 version. 

As long as he keeps this team entertaining and he & Adams keep this team competitive (providing they get it to there), it'll be good enough IMHO.  But ain't my John Hancock on the checks.

You make an interesting point about the entertaining brand of hockey the coach promotes. It's a fast pace and north/south offensive style of play that is fun to watch. Rebuilding teams lose more than they win. That's not a surprise.  More often than not when coaches recognized that their teams were outmatched, they typically resorted to suffocating the opposition with conservative defensive play that focused on stifling the opponent at the expense of suppressing their own offense. The emphasis is more on stopping the other team and not making mistakes rather than playing aggressively to win. It's gruesome to watch. It's soulless hockey that has little entertainment value in an entertainment business. Just compare how Dahlin and Skinner played under Krueger compared to being liberated under Granato?  Needless to say, Granato was the right coach at the right time. KA's selection of Don G to be the HC was an exceptional decision that overshadowed any of his sound personnel moves. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.