7-16-22 Sabres French Connection Tournament

inkman

31 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I thought all your disappointments played really well today. Krebs and JJ were all over the ice. Östlund was superb holding on to the puck and setting up teammates.He also scored a beautiful one timer. Johnson uses his skating to make strong plays all over the ice. I thought he did it today.

It is hard though in a 3 on 3 tournament to get a real idea for players.

Especially when the announcers didn’t know half the players. That made it impossible at times to know who some of the players were 

1 hour ago, SDS said:

For those of you with better memories, how does this compare to previous years?

I think what really stood out this year was the depth. When Mittelstadt and Dahlin were in this tournament they showed flashes of brilliance, but nobody else really did much. Today I saw great moments from many different players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• SDS changed the title to 7-16-22 Sabres French Connection Tournament
5 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I am interested to see Rousek’s year in Roch. Healthy this year he has speed to burn and is very crafty with the puck.

I think Lycksanen is a prospect to keep an eye on. RHD with some offensive pop to his game. Loves driving the net.

Yeah, the management team definitely seems to favor trying to select & develop offensively gifted D-men.  Considering there's a lot more of the true (or at least primarily) defensive D-men around and good ones can be picked up as UFAs for under $3MM / year 😉 ; they might be onto something there.

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I thought all your disappointments played really well today. Krebs and JJ were all over the ice. Östlund was superb holding on to the puck and setting up teammates.He also scored a beautiful one timer. Johnson uses his skating to make strong plays all over the ice. I thought he did it today.

And that’s the beauty about people seeing things differently 👍🏼

I used the word “disappointed” very loosely.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Totally unrelated questions.  Was the Sabres store open & if so, were the new 3rds in it?

I didn’t go over there. Wife and I got outta dodge ASAP after the photos were taken at center ice. I would imagine in was open on a Saturday with that event happening. But not sure. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm hoping they keep selling the Heritage Classic jerseys.

They won't.  Whatever they have (and they ordered last year) is what they have.  At this year's home opener they had maybe 6 of the white & blue butter knife sweater left from the shortened season.

If you really want one would recommend calling them and asking what they have.  Almost positive they will ship.  And if for some reason they can't / won't, they will hold it for you until you can get there.

PS - the Adidas sweaters run smaller than typical.  Size 48 in the CCM or ProPlayer sweaters is equivalent to a 52 or 54 in Adidas.

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They won't.  Whatever they have (and they ordered last year) is what they have.  At this year's home opener they had maybe 6 of the white & blue butter knife sweater left from the shortened season.

If you really want one would recommend calling them and asking what they have.  Almost positive they will ship.  And if for some reason they can't / won't, they will hold it for you until you can get there.

PS - the Adidas sweaters run smaller than typical.  Size 48 in the CCM or ProPlayer sweaters is equivalent to a 52 or 54 in Adidas.

I went to the Sabres store on the season finale. They had a few left but none in my size. Shame on me for not getting one sooner. They are the best kits we've had in a while.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I went to the Sabres store on the season finale. They had a few left but none in my size. Shame on me for not getting one sooner. They are the best kits we've had in a while.

If they do have any left, even though they run small, maybe you can squeeze into one.  Got 1 of the w/b butterknives that is way tighter than a normal hockey sweater (definitely couldn't play hockey in it, but it's big enough to just sit & watch it) but it is wearable.

And it is possible that they might've had additional HCs in the back room that weren't on the rack that they didn't notice in the backroom.  (The store was a zoo that day.)  Still expect a phone call couldn't hurt any. 

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Same. I had no issues with any of the guys he mentioned. Also, Johnson is just so silky smooth, he was impressive. He's never going to be a offensive machine so maybe in a setting like today he might not look the greatest but he just skates so well and you can just tell he's a extremely smart hockey player. He's got a future in the NHL for sure. I really enjoyed his media sessions this past week too, and i'm not as worried about him leaving as i was before this camp started. Honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if he signed next week.

Two other guys that i was really impressed with was Mats Lindgren on defense and Jake Richard at forward. Lindgren skating was amazing along with his stick handling. Richard is a offensive player, you can tell he has a sense for the goal as he drives to the net.

I thought the two best players were Quinn and Kulich. Quinn was just well above everybody, seemed like a ringer when he was on the ice. Kulich doesn't come across as a raw player. I was very impressed by him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

My only disappointment is that Savoie didn’t get to participate. I think some fans don’t realize just what an exciting player he is. 

I think one person listed 13 prospects that weren’t in the tournament. 

You could have made a fifth team that could have won it with Savoie, Hugelen, Nadeau, Neuchev, Karlsson, Kisakov, Poltapov, Novikov, Leinonen, Cederqvist, Sardinin, Pekar etc.

The depth is very impressive. There are a few teams whose total prospect pools aren’t as strong as the group that didn’t participate in the tournament today.

Edited by Flashsabre

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

My only disappointment is that Savoie didn’t get to participate. I think some fans don’t realize just what an exciting player he is. 

You could have made a fifth team that could have won it with Savoie, Hugelen, Nadeau, Neuchev, Karlsson, Kisakov, Poltapov, Novikov, Leinonen, Cederqvist, Sardinin, Pekar etc.

The depth is very impressive. There are a few teams whose total prospect pools aren’t as strong as the group that didn’t participate in the tournament today.

Vegas probably couldn’t beat that 5th team in a prospect game.

6 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Savoie has the skill set to do well at 3 on 3. I hope he is healthy enough to have a good showing at the Team Canada camp. He has a great chance to make the December team and an outside chance to play in August if there are some dropouts.

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
14 hours ago, Taro T said:

If they do have any left, even though they run small, maybe you can squeeze into one.  Got 1 of the w/b butterknives that is way tighter than a normal hockey sweater (definitely couldn't play hockey in it, but it's big enough to just sit & watch it) but it is wearable.

And it is possible that they might've had additional HCs in the back room that weren't on the rack that they didn't notice in the backroom.  (The store was a zoo that day.)  Still expect a phone call couldn't hurt any. 

I bought a normal white Tage jersey and it was tight for its size. They all seem to run small.

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I bought a normal white Tage jersey and it was tight for its size. They all seem to run small.

As mentioned in my post prior to the one you quoted, the Adidas 52 is the size of a CCM 48.

And no idea why, but the Adidas long sleeved regular shirts have ridiculously long sleeves.  Germans must have gorilla arms.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

As mentioned in my post prior to the one you quoted, the Adidas 52 is the size of a CCM 48.

And no idea why, but the Adidas long sleeved regular shirts have ridiculously long sleeves.  Germans must have gorilla arms.

I’d be happy with longer sleeves on a jersey.  The majority I have tried on over the years have sleeves to short for my liking. 

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’d be happy with longer sleeves on a jersey.  The majority I have tried on over the years have sleeves to short for my liking. 

The Adidas sweater sleeves seem a bit longer than normal but not significantly.

It's their regular LS shirts that have serious gorilla arms.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.