Sabres 6 Islanders 4

Corp000085

Great game by the sabres all around. There was a fluke goal, one scored on the PP, one scored after it ended, and one i can't remember against the sabres. Miller was decent in goal. The sabres PP was moving the puck around and making minimal mistakes. Connolly didn't look all that bad. Drury is a monster. Gaustad almost killed a guy with a hit. This is either an abbaritian, or this is a damn good hockey team. The sabres also showed some RARE 3rd period grit. The isles were pouring it on, scored a goal to bring it within one, and the sabres came right down and scored. They usually would fold up. By the way, watch out for afinogenov. this dude is fast and he's playing hard, at least for tonight.

It's a very long season, but its always better to start out with a decent victory than a crappy heartless loss. My expectations have definitely been raised by watching them tonight.

And thanks spandrel for your help in the game thread.

Good game, overall, and a lot to look forward to. They pretty much answered every Islanders goal with one of their own.

That Dumont-Briere-Vanek line seemed to give the Isles fits all night, as they just couldn't pin any of those guys in the corners.

Afinogenov looks like he is really going to fluorish in this new NHL that rewards great skating.

Vanek may not have had a great night on the score sheet, but his ability to keep plays going by his creativity with the puck is something that will pay off in the long run.

The defense looked pretty good all night, but most of the goals came when the Isles were able to pin the puck in the corners and keep the puck alive in the zone longer than it should have. The Sabres made some good open ice hits, but did struggle in clearing the zone when the puck got deep in the corners.

Lots of penalties on both sides, despite Ruff's commitment to disciplined play.

Miller looked good, but that soft fluke goal is just enough to concern you in tight games. I think he'll he will get comfortable in his role, but it is hard for me not to draw comparisons to Losman, for some reason. I think he's going to have his off nights that will cost us games, but I thought he held up particularly well on the PP's.

Like Corp said, a good opening night win beats a tough loss any day, but they've got some tough games right up front including a Bruins team that will not be in a good mood after dropping its opener at home late on a PP goal.

Even if there are some disappointing games this season, I'm just happy to have the NHL back. It's great seeing all of last year's Amerks up here contributing, though I'd still like to see Derek back up. I'm going to try and get to the game Friday night to see him before he comes back up.

Despite his +2 and an assist, Vanek is not satisfied. "Before the game", he says,"I had butterflies in my stomach, but now there is anger" "I am disappointed and surprised, because I didn't play a lot in important situations. The coach seems to have trusted the more experienced players due to the close game."

Despite his +2 and an assist, Vanek is not satisfied. "Before the game", he says,"I had butterflies in my stomach, but now there is anger" "I am disappointed and surprised, because I didn't play a lot in important situations. The coach seems to have trusted the more experienced players due to the close game."

Link?

Lindy Ruff interview with the austrian press agency:

(translated from: http://derstandard.at/?id=2200636

APA: How satisfied are you with the performance of thomas vanek?

Ruff: He played well for his first nhl game. His pass to afinogenov was great and he had some chances. He was quite relaxed in his first game.

APA: Vanek himself expected more.

Ruff: He has high expectations and that is good. If you aren't satisfied after a win, then that's a good sign. every player should always expect more.

APA: Everywhere, Vanek came with high expectations. Also in buffalo he proved himself in the pre-season. How do you see his situation?

Ruff: Here he is not the one who carries the responsibility. But he is expected to get there. we all expect him to be productive, but the only pressure is the one he makes himself, to be the best.

APA: But on the powerplay he was expected to play more often.

Ruff: he is a rookie. He got his powerplay, but there are others who carry the responsibility. He is a key player, but the responsibility carry other players like Briere, Drury or Afinogenow. Proven players. we need all players, not just one. The league is too competitive, if you concentrate on one player, he gets pumped.

APA: Even before the lockout you said that he could help the team immediately. Now he has played a season in rochester. How do you see his development?

Ruff: I worked a lot with him in rochester, on the ice and with video. He improved a lot. We gave him a programm for the summer. We wanted him to become faster because now it is all about skating. He also gained strength and lost weight.

APA: Did he have problems with his weight?

Ruff: In the first training camp he didn't have the best weight. But that's normal with young players. You have to get the body fat index from over 12 to below 10. Our schedule doesn't allow overweight. Every pound too much costs speed.

APA: So, did the lookout benefit him?

Ruff: Yes, he could concentrate on one team. The ahl was a competitive league last season. so it was a good setup.

APA: Does he benefit from the new rules?

Ruff: They are definitely good for him. He covers the puck well and is good in receiving the puck in front of the net. The rules help him and the team.

APA: You are the most successful coach of the sabres and the longest serving coach in the nhl. Are you proud?

Ruff: Yes, that makes me proud. But we had good and bad times. What's the name of the eternal show: the daily struggle for survival

APA: Is the media in buffalo extremely critical?

Ruff: That's an understatement. but I don't read newspapers,don't listen to radio and don't watch tv. I have four children, so I don't have any time for that.

Just watched the sabes isles from a msg delay feed my tivo caught. great game. it was a lot closer than i thought from reading the threads. the sabres are so enjoyable to watch under the new rules.

I thought connoly was involved a bunch, pyatt was hustling and made some nice hits.

but our "stars" are going to thrive under the new rules. i feel prettty good about ths year.

Archived