Where do the Sabres Rank in terms of Prospect Pools post draft?

matter2003

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You keep moving the shell.

I say this with no rancor but I don't know what you are talking about. We are like two ships passing each other in the darkest of night. We are simply passengers riding in different boats. That's fine.

6 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

According to him Buffalo’s prospect pool is only 7th but it gets way better. According to him the Sabres goalie prospect pool ranks 25th. Yes there are 24 teams with better goalie prospect pools then Levi, UPL, Portillo and Leinonen. Apparently the greatest wave of goaltending in the history of the NHL must be coming.😳🤪🤣

Ahead of the Jets? I’m good.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/19/2022 at 7:28 PM, JohnC said:

That's reality. Sometimes the situation you are in is the situation you are in. If you can't handle it then it's your problem to work out. Not all problems are quickly resolved. The quick solution you are seeking is an imaginary solution conjured up in your mind. It does not exist in the real world. 

This is where our dinghies diverged. Your definition of success seemed to be your EXPECTATION that the Sabres would be in the hunt until the end of the regular season. The franchise, after some signs of progress, is already successful.

Then you brought up the Cup. It was a Jim Mora moment for me.

To boil it down I'd make a future sacrificing move in a heartbeat to increase the chances of making the playoffs this year. You wouldn't.

25 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This is where our dinghies diverged. Your definition of success seemed to be your EXPECTATION that the Sabres would be in the hunt until the end of the regular season. The franchise, after some signs of progress, is already successful.

Then you brought up the Cup. It was a Jim Mora moment for me.

To boil it down I'd make a future sacrificing move in a heartbeat to increase the chances of making the playoffs this year. You wouldn't.

Yea, the entire board loved the future sacrifice moves of 2015 and 2016. Great times, worked well. 

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea, the entire board loved the future sacrifice moves of 2015 and 2016. Great times, worked well. 

Past performance does not guarantee future results.

-Your Merril Lynch Representative 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Should tell this to the Las Vegas Golden Knights 

Sabres may make the playoffs before Vegas.

There must be turmoil in that room with all the churning of players over their short existence. The players know some of them have to go before the season starts just to meet cap compliance.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Past performance does not guarantee future results.

-Your Merril Lynch Representative 

You nailed it. That approach must be left behind. It didn't work. But let's continue to endorse an approach that not only didn't work, it continues not to work (fingers crossed for fall 2022) and is unlikely to ever work. But, YAY!, KA and TG for two decades!

You have to use all of your tools when constructing a team. Spending a little future capital to try and put this team into the playoffs would be capital well spent. It's a signal to the kids. If it works they grow leaps and bounds (except Casey, some recent draftee and a first rounder). How long until these kids lose their love of the game in a hopeless place where only the future is worshipped?

See also: goaltending STILL not addressed.

Edited by PASabreFan

22 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

You nailed it. That approach must be left behind. It didn't work. But let's continue to endorse an approach that not only didn't work, it continues not to work (fingers crossed for fall 2022) and is unlikely to ever work. But, YAY!, KA and TG for two decades!

You have to use all of your tools when constructing a team. Spending a little future capital to try and put this team into the playoffs would be capital well spent. It's a signal to the kids. If it works they grow leaps and bounds (except Casey, some recent draftee and a first rounder). How long until these kids lose their love of the game in a hopeless place where only the future is worshipped?

See also: goaltending STILL not addressed.

Goaltending may have been addressed by a sneaky good signing at a time when Comrie should be entering his prime(or even maybe a year before it). 2nd in the NHL last year in goals saved above expected per 60 minutes to only Shesterkin. 

If he even is top 15 or 20 for us this year it's a massive upgrade over anything we had last year, where they were in the 50s-70s

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Goaltending may have been addressed by a sneaky good signing at a time when Comrie should be entering his prime(or even maybe a year before it). 2nd in the NHL last year in goals saved above expected per 60 minutes to only Shesterkin. 

If he even is top 15 or 20 for us this year it's a massive upgrade over anything we had last year, where they were in the 50s-70s

The Buffalo Sabres allowed 32.95 shot attempts against them last year per game. The Winnipeg Jets? 33.18.

Comrie isn't going from a team that was lights out at curtailing chances to a dumpster fire. I agree with matter2003 here that it is a sneaky good signing.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

IF he can handle the everyday workload (or at least 2 out 3 game workload), he'll be a steal.  He's been a starter at lower levels, so he should be able to do so.  But then again, the same could be said of Hutton.

Expect he'll be good in October.  The test will be is he still good in December when the rest of the league has stepped it up and any nagging injuries could be setting him up for one that will take him off his game at best or out of games at worst.  No data on his past injury history, doesn't seem to have much issue there but not positive about that.

Hoping he gives us an early Christmas present.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

IF he can handle the everyday workload (or at least 2 out 3 game workload), he'll be a steal.  He's been a starter at lower levels, so he should be able to do so.  But then again, the same could be said of Hutton.

Expect he'll be good in October.  The test will be is he still good in December when the rest of the league has stepped it up and any nagging injuries could be setting him up for one that will take him off his game at best or out of games at worst.  No data on his past injury history, doesn't seem to have much issue there but not positive about that.

Hoping he gives us an early Christmas present.

Hutton was at the end of his prime when he got here in his mid 30s. There really is no comparison between the 2. We were getting Hutton right as he could have been expected to decline(which he did)

43 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Hutton was at the end of his prime when he got here in his mid 30s. There really is no comparison between the 2. We were getting Hutton right as he could have been expected to decline(which he did)

Early 30's, but point taken.

Hutton also played in a defensive system that allowed him to shine with low danger chances in St. Louis. Hutton also apparently couldn’t see or keep his balance. Those things usually help goalies.😁

I think and hope Comrie does well. He seems like a great guy and teammate. He works his butt off and is at the age that goalies usually hit their prime.  Anderson will be a great mentor for him.

Best case scenario for the Sabres is Comrie continues his play from last year, Anderson stays healthy and gives solid starts and UPL stays healthy and takes a step in Roch. Post Christmas, UPL pushes for some starts in Buffalo and they gradually pull back on Anderson.

Just knowing I won’t have to watch Tokarski play and have that look like he is about to cry on his face after every goal is a big positive for me.

Edited by Flashsabre

On 7/20/2022 at 3:36 PM, mjd1001 said:

Gullible fans?  Why are we gullible when some of us ENJOY the team building aspect of the sport, we ENJOY watching a  young team grow together even if it takes a few years.  On this very forum over the years, I was against the moves Tim Murray was making to 'speed up' the rebuild, I'd much rather watch to see how a team develops this way.  

But I guess anyone who actually enjoys the process I described above....well it doesn't matter if we enjoy that or not, we are just gullible for not wanting to win now. 🙄

The gullibility comes from still buying the only product they have to sell, the “future” or “soon”, after 11 plus years. Eventually, the team is going to have to start selling “winning.” Maybe not.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:31 AM, LGR4GM said:

Wait. Aren’t you one of those that keeps pointing out that it’s different this time?

43 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The gullibility comes from still buying the only product they have to sell, the “future” or “soon”, after 11 plus years. Eventually, the team is going to have to start selling “winning.” Maybe not.

The flaw in this argument is that it's built on the mistaken premise that we've been buying for all 11 of of those years, or that the reasons to buy haven't changed.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Hope seems to be selling…..

35 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The flaw in this argument is that it's built on the mistaken premise that we've been buying for all 11 of of those years, or that the reasons to buy haven't changed.

Simple question. Will the Sabres make the playoffs this season? That wouldn’t even mean that they are good, just not bottom half of the league.

I can’t say with any certainty and that’s kinda sad.

Hope is not a srategy.

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Simple question. Will the Sabres make the playoffs this season? That wouldn’t even mean that they are good, just not bottom half of the league.

I can’t say with any certainty and that’s kinda sad.

Hope is not a strategy.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

image.thumb.png.dcc8cef6811aab2263d4dd0202d14d7a.pngimage.thumb.png.c14ddd0301eb4acd9d598aa582ad1899.png

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.