Where do the Sabres Rank in terms of Prospect Pools post draft?

matter2003

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

Lol I remember you posting the same about Boston 5-7 seasons ago.  

Id pick Buf in this instance however.

Funny you reference Boston. The bottom is dangerously close to falling out of that boat. 

I think it was 2018 when I did say what you're referencing, just after getting Dahlin. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Funny you reference Boston. The bottom is dangerously close to falling out of that boat. 

I think it was 2018 when I did say what you're referencing, just after getting Dahlin. 

I have no interest in looking back but they had several playoff seasons after you proclaimed we were in better shape than Boston.  

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

I have no interest in looking back but they had several playoff seasons after you proclaimed we were in better shape than Boston.  

As of right this moment, summer 2022, I would rather be Buffalo than Boston. 

We will be better than the Bruins this season. Boston has few notable prospects and they are only getting older. 

Edited by LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

As of right this moment, summer 2022, I would rather be Buffalo than Boston. 

We will be better than the Bruins this season. Boston has few notable prospects and they are only getting older. 

I don’t know if we’ll be better, but I suspect it will be the closest its been in a decade.  Boston has been getting older for 5-7 years.  It was inevitable that the stopped clock would be right eventually.

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t know if we’ll be better, but I suspect it will be the closest its been in a decade.  Boston has been getting older for 5-7 years.  It was inevitable that the stopped clock would be right eventually.

In my defense, Ralph Krueger. 

According to him Buffalo’s prospect pool is only 7th but it gets way better. According to him the Sabres goalie prospect pool ranks 25th. Yes there are 24 teams with better goalie prospect pools then Levi, UPL, Portillo and Leinonen. Apparently the greatest wave of goaltending in the history of the NHL must be coming.😳🤪🤣

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It's professional sports, not curing cancer.

It happens all the time.

You may have forgotten but Cup winning teams such as Colorada and Tampa took a while to build their rosters up to get to get to their championship status. You may believe in magic but that isn't the reason why these two teams ended up drinking champagne out of the cup. It is a challenging and laborious process that takes time. 

Carolina has 6 goalies in the system. 1 is good, 1 might be okay, the other 4 are Leinonen level or below. They were the #1 goalie system...

Bader's system weighs to heavily its underage seasons and discounts growth that isn't in line with the model. 

Matt Boldy is a star: he put up 76pts in 61 games in his dy-1 and 81 in 64 in his dy. He put up 18 in 14 ahl games in his dy+2

Jack Quinn isn't a star: he put up 32pts in 61 in his dy-1, which is heavily weighted in the model.  89 in 62 in his DY. And 61 in 45 in his dy+2

This means that at the critical juncture of the DY and the DY+2, Jack Quinn out produced Boldy.

1.44ppg to 1.27pp

1.36ppg to 1.28ppg

Now Boldy did have 39pts in 47 nhl games which is great this season. But you can't tell me that your model ranked him higher going into his DY+3 than it does Quinn when Quinn has outproduced Boldy up to that year. It's just faulty and it downplays growth.

Will Quinn produce at .82ppg this year like Boldy, idk. Depends on if he gets 1pp and good linemates like Boldy did. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

According to him Buffalo’s prospect pool is only 7th but it gets way better. According to him the Sabres goalie prospect pool ranks 25th. Yes there are 24 teams with better goalie prospect pools then Levi, UPL, Portillo and Leinonen. Apparently the greatest wave of goaltending in the history of the NHL must be coming.😳🤪🤣

I wonder if Bryon also goes by the name Eklund, who recently posted that Johan Larsson is a 50 pt player.

He also has Minn No. 1.  Lets compare just using recent draft picks

Top D Power (no 1 2021) vs Lambos (26th in 2021) - huge edge Buffalo

Top G Leinonen (no. 41 -2022) vs Wallstedt (no 20 - 2021) - huge edge Minn 

Top RW Quinn (no. 8 2020) vs Yurov (No. 24 2022) - Edge Buffalo

Top LW JJP (no. 34 2020)  vs Ohgren (No. 19 2022) - Edge Buffalo but close

Top C Savoie (No. 9 2022) vs Rossi (No. 9 2020) - Edge Buffalo as Rossi is struggling with transition to the NHL

So relatively similar except Power’s huge edge on D, but Levi balances the scale in goal and when you add 3 additional 1st rd forwards for Buffalo in Rosen, Östlund (who helped Ohgren score his goals) and the under drafted Kulich, the scales tip heavily in the Sabres favor.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wonder if Bryon also goes by the name Eklund, who recently posted that Johan Larsson is a 50 pt player.

Top C Savoie (No. 9 2022) vs Rossi (No. 9 2020) - Edge Buffalo as Rossi is struggling with transition to the NHL

So relatively similar except Power’s huge edge on D, but Levi balances the scale in goal and when you add 3 additional 1st rd forwards for Buffalo in Rosen, Östlund (who helped Ohgren score his goals) and the under drafted Kulich, the scales tip heavily in the Sabres favor.  

In what weird hell is Leinonen Buffalo's top goalie prospect?

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

In what weird hell is Leinonen Buffalo's top goalie prospect?

Please re-read the bolded. Obviously, Levi is our top G prospect, but I was only comparing each teams’ respective draft picks. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Please re-read the bolded.

Yea and you already went back to 2020 when Levi was drafted for other picks. Just doesn't make sense. 

It would be like me going Savoie v Hunter Haight because Haight is their most recent center drafted.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

You may have forgotten but Cup winning teams such as Colorada and Tampa took a while to build their rosters up to get to get to their championship status. You may believe in magic but that isn't the reason why these two teams ended up drinking champagne out of the cup. It is a challenging and laborious process that takes time. 

You keep moving the shell.

First one I looked up... NYR had 79 points three years ago. Did they execute a masterful seven year plan to reach the conference final, and lead the conference final, 3-1?

The Sabres' plan is, true to the mantra, economic. It's also gutless and relies on gullible fans.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The Sabres' plan is, true to the mantra, economic. It's also gutless and relies on gullible fans.

Gullible fans?  Why are we gullible when some of us ENJOY the team building aspect of the sport, we ENJOY watching a  young team grow together even if it takes a few years.  On this very forum over the years, I was against the moves Tim Murray was making to 'speed up' the rebuild, I'd much rather watch to see how a team develops this way.  

But I guess anyone who actually enjoys the process I described above....well it doesn't matter if we enjoy that or not, we are just gullible for not wanting to win now. 🙄

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mjd1001 said:

Gullible fans?  Why are we gullible when some of us ENJOY the team building aspect of the sport, we ENJOY watching a  young team grow together even if it takes a few years.  On this very forum over the years, I was against the moves Tim Murray was making to 'speed up' the rebuild, I'd much rather watch to see how a team develops this way.  

But I guess anyone who actually enjoys the process I described above....well it doesn't matter if we enjoy that or now, we are just gullible. 🙄

True and I just enjoy hockey

13 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

But I guess anyone who actually enjoys the process I described above....well it doesn't matter if we enjoy that or not, we are just gullible for not wanting to win now. 🙄

If you keep going to the same pizza place and keep getting the same undercooked tasteless slice but enjoy talking to the owner about the 16 year old in the back who is going to be great at this when he's out of college, yes, you are gullible.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If you keep going to the same pizza place and keep getting the same undercooked tasteless slice but enjoy talking to the owner about the 16 year old in the back who is going to be great at this when he's out of college, yes, you are gullible.

What would you call somebody who says   a team in horrible but spends all their time on a message board complaining about the team and everything they do?

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You are standing here in the pizza shop with the rest of us.  You must feel so much less gullible because you decide to sit at the corner table with a frowny face.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

That is an idiotic analogy.

It is more like always having something to look forward to.  If you aren't winning the cup, seeing a team grow, getting better month by month, anticipating what the players are turning into.  I get it, you don't agree with it, so you are just going to take shots at anyone who doesn't agree with you. right.

38 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

So even bad hockey?

I thought the 2nd half of the season featured some pretty good hockey.

Good enough that I didn't feel like I was wasting my time, featuring people I felt good about cheering for.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Good enough that I didn't feel like I was wasting my time, featuring people I felt good about cheering for.

I personally was surprised by how much the bolded improved my experience.

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Between Vacations and Work, I am going to miss the most games I have in quite a few years. Great timing huh? 

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.