Where do the Sabres Rank in terms of Prospect Pools post draft?

matter2003

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m posting about the prospect pool in a thread about the prospect pool. Not sure where else I should post it.

I just find it funny that everyone is so convinced that it is somehow different this time. Everyone likes each other and gets along and “wants to be here” and so therefore they’ve turned some mythical corner because they played some decent hockey at the end of another lost season.

I hope y’all are right. But we have been here before. And right now, in the middle of summer, I see nothing to tell me we are going to be good in the regular season. Until our glorious prospect pool proves itself in the regular season, it means nothing.

We have not been here.  In 2015, we may have had a good prospect pool but the actual team had nothing .5 or 6 players and a bunch of scrubs 

Now , it seems we have a legit NHL roster and a prospect pool over-flowing with talent 

Optimism about the future is rightfully sky high at the moment 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

We have not been here.  In 2015, we may have had a good prospect pool but the actual team had nothing .5 or 6 players and a bunch of scrubs 

Now , it seems we have a legit NHL roster and a prospect pool over-flowing with talent 

Here’s looking forward to finally beating that team’s point total for the year. 🍺

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I’m posting about the prospect pool in a thread about the prospect pool. Not sure where else I should post it.

I just find it funny that everyone is so convinced that it is somehow different this time. Everyone likes each other and gets along and “wants to be here” and so therefore they’ve turned some mythical corner because they played some decent hockey at the end of another lost season.

I hope y’all are right. But we have been here before. And right now, in the middle of summer, I see nothing to tell me we are going to be good in the regular season. Until our glorious prospect pool proves itself in the regular season, it means nothing.

Well, you are posting in a thread about the prospect pool, saying that the prospect pool doesn’t matter until they are good NHL players.  That’s true in a sense, but it’s not really a discussion about the prospect pool.

Honestly, I don’t know that the Sabres will be much better next season than they were this past season.  I think they will be, but it’s uncertain.  However, again that doesn’t really have much to do with the prospect pool.

I’m saying that it is different this time, not because of good vibes, but because the pool is a lot deeper than past groups.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Also a lot of misses in that pool.  Yes you had Eichel and Reinhart.  You also had Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching.  Then a huge whiff on nylander in 2016... UGH.  Sergachev, Mcavoy, Chychrun the next 3 d-men off the board.  

They moved Zadorov, Compher, Armia - and other players - plus 2 1st round picks and the 1st pick of the 2nd... to get that 2015 roster together.  

Thing with prospect pools is the development pace.

Dahlin finally looks to have arrived at close to what we hoped in his 4th year. Thompson in his 5th.

Dahlin was a legit NHLer prior every year of his career, Thompson was not.

Zadorov and Risto were exciting prospects. Not so much as NHL players.

Is Cozens all he can be? Will Peterka add a ton this year, glimpses, or nothing at all?

Who the hell knows?

Edited by dudacek

You know what's funny? PA is saying it doesn't matter while showing us in 2019 we were ranked near the top but that would mean 2021 and 2022 are when those guys should start mattering on the nhl roster. 

Anyways I digress. We have a top prospect system. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You know what's funny? PA is saying it doesn't matter while showing us in 2019 we were ranked near the top but that would mean 2021 and 2022 are when those guys should start mattering on the nhl roster. 

Anyways I digress. We have a top prospect system. 

True. But they haven't mattered yet. Unless your bar is pretty low. 

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Semantics maybe, but I parsed LGR's comment to mean that the prospects have already mattered.

Sameulsson, Quinn, JJ, maybe UPL, Bryson, Power, Krebs etc were prospects who now matter. We now have a pipeline that is flowing with a large talent pool moving from the back to the front. That's how it's supposed to work. 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Sameulsson, Quinn, JJ, maybe UPL, Bryson, Power, Krebs etc were prospects who now matter. We now have a pipeline that is flowing with a large talent pool moving from the back to the front. That's how it's supposed to work. 

The definition of matter matters. (Bill Clinton)

Matter re team success? No.

Define success.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The definition of matter matters. (Bill Clinton)

Matter re team success? No.

Define success.

My definition of team success: I will be disappointed if this team isn't in a playoff race up to the end of the season. I'm not predicting that they will (hope so) but they should be playing meaningful playoff implication games up to the conclusion of the season. And within my definition of success I am expecting the many young players to improve and become established NHL players. Comparing the current higher expectation to the previous realization that this team was sunk before the first puck was dropped in the opening game, I would say that would fall within my definition of success. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

My definition of team success: I will be disappointed if this team isn't in a playoff race up to the end of the season. I'm not predicting that they will (hope so) but they should be playing meaningful playoff implication games up to the conclusion of the season. And within my definition of success I am expecting the many young players to improve and become established NHL players. Comparing the current higher expectation to the previous realization that this team was sunk before the first puck was dropped in the opening game, I would say that would fall within my definition of success. 

That's sad.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

That's sad.

Would you feel less sad if we defined success at a standard so high that the team couldn't possibly achieve only to watch them fall miserably short?  

This franchise has been a perennial lottery favorite for going on a decade and owns the NHL's longest playoff drought.  Being in the playoff picture in March would be a resounding success by an measure.  I know some of you love the tough talk about Stanley Cup being the only acceptable goal every year buts that hollow bluster.  

The Sabres were at rock bottom 7 months ago.  No hope left.  Even talking about the playoffs as a possibility in 2023 is a minor miracle in my opinion.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

That's sad.

That's reality. Sometimes the situation you are in is the situation you are in. If you can't handle it then it's your problem to work out. Not all problems are quickly resolved. The quick solution you are seeking is an imaginary solution conjured up in your mind. It does not exist in the real world. 

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Not that we care but Bader ranked us 7th. He ranked the goaltending at 25th which is beyond laughable. 

You mean he said there are 24 teams with better goaltending prospect group than Levi/Portillo/UP/Leinonen???

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

That's reality. Sometimes the situation you are in is the situation you are in. If you can't handle it then it's your problem to work out. Not all problems are quickly resolved. The quick solution you are seeking is an imaginary solution conjured up in your mind. It does not exist in the real world. 

It's professional sports, not curing cancer.

It happens all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/18/2022 at 3:25 PM, PASabreFan said:

True. But they haven't mattered yet. Unless your bar is pretty low. 

The way I look at it is your prospect pool is a bunch of lottery tickets. When they are higher draft picks or 'higher rated' (by whoever knows more than I do), then those are lottery tickets that have a better-than-average chance of paying off.  That does not mean they will.  Their 'prospect pool' 5-7 years ago may have been highly rated and did not pay off, but that doesn't mean this group won't pay off (or that they will).  Bottom line is, you are better off having more prospects, having more 'lottery tickets' and 'good lottery tickets' than not having them.  Just because it didn't work in the past for this team doesn't mean it won't in the future.....and I personally would RATHER have the deeper/higher rated system than not have it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

The NYI finished ahead of Buffalo last year. Would you rather be the NYI with their prospect pool or Buffalo with there's? 

Lol I remember you posting the same about Boston 5-7 seasons ago.  

Id pick Buf in this instance however.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.