Where do the Sabres Rank in terms of Prospect Pools post draft?

matter2003

11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The Athletic’s Scott Wheeler had them First Last Year, they probably stay there

Depends on how they define "prospect," although adding 3 centers ranked by Wheeler at 4, 23 and 22 respectfully doesn't hurt. Wheeler uses 22 (Under 25 for goalies) and under as his prospect criteria and then adds a nebulous "Not a full-time NHL player. This is the arbitrary section of the criteria." 

His top 10 for us in February were Power, Krebs, Quinn, Levi, JJP, Rosen, Johnson, Portillo, UPL & Samuelsson.  My guess is Krebs and Samuelsson graduate from his list as they finished last season on the Sabres (not including being sent down for the AHL playoffs).  I doubt Power's 8 games will disqualify him.  FYI he had Kisakov 11, Poltapov 12, Nadeau 13 and Bloom 19.

Now add Savoie, Östlund and Kulich.  

Given how highly he thought of the pool 5 months ago, my guess if we'd still be No. 1

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I love what Kevin Adams is doing. Build this team thru the draft. I really hope he can get Johnson, Levi, and Portillo signed. He and his staff have done a remarkable job him of changing the culture. Don’t really care right now that they can’t get big name free agents because when you draft and develop guys the right way you don’t need to overspend on an unrestricted free agent. I’m excited to see what this squad looks like in years to come.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

I love what Kevin Adams is doing. Build this team thru the draft. I really hope he can get Johnson, Levi, and Portillo signed. He and his staff have done a remarkable job him of changing the culture. Don’t really care right now that they can’t get big name free agents because when you draft and develop guys the right way you don’t need to overspend on an unrestricted free agent. I’m excited to see what this squad looks like in years to come.

His FA signings are very smart like Beane's early FA signings were where he plugged holes with guys on relatively inexpensive deals and got a lot for his money.

The big FAs will be in play once they start making the playoffs routinely again.

But more often than not you overpay for guys in UFA and don't get a good return on your money, then have a contract that kills you for 2 or 3 years at the end of it.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I could prove it.

When you're a farm team with no interest in winning, it's not hard. Not much competition.

Please do show that the Sabres prospect pool has been ranking as “top of the heap” (1st?  top-3?  top-5?) for several years running.  I don’t recall this being the case, but I could be misremembering.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Please do show that the Sabres prospect pool has been ranking as “top of the heap” (1st?  top-3?  top-5?) for several years running.  I don’t recall this being the case, but I could be misremembering.

It hasn't. Only the last few years once we really started drafting well again and with some of the trades that helped stock it up

14 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I don't know who this dude is, but fast forward to the 26:00 minute mark for his #1 team...

I give this guy a 0 on the credibility score for naming Portillo, UPL, and Leinenon as our top goalie prospects, but forgetting the guy who's quite possibly our top prospect right now at any position.  🙄

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/16/2022 at 12:05 AM, Brawndo said:

The Athletic’s Scott Wheeler had them First Last Year, they probably stay there

I would say we are top 2. I would not have said that last year but with the additions of Kulich, Savoie, and Östlund it is hard not to see us at the top right now.

Prospects for the Sabres would include: Owen Power, Jack Quinn, JJ Peterka, Noah Östlund, Jiri Kulich, Matt Savoie, Victor Neuchev, Isak Rosen, Prokhor Poltapov, Alek Kisakov, Mats Lindgren, Albert Lyckasen, Nikita Novikov, Lukas Rousek, Josh Bloom, Olivier Nadeau, Tyson Kozak, Ryan Johnson, Eric Portillo, Devon Levi, UPL.

Now a bunch of these players won't make it but that is most everyone of note. LA, Caroline maybe, Ducks have a good system. We probably have the deepest system but we also just made 22 picks instead of 14 so that kinda makes sense. We will have to see but I would put Buffalo probably at 1, only matters though if Buffalo develops all these players. Good news is the prospects themselves talk about how much contact they get from the Development staff.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Prospects for the Sabres would include: Owen Power, Jack Quinn, JJ Peterka, Noah Östlund, Jiri Kulich, Matt Savoie, Victor Neuchev, Isak Rosen, Prokhor Poltapov, Alek Kisakov, Mats Lindgren, Albert Lyckasen, Nikita Novikov, Lukas Rousek, Josh Bloom, Olivier Nadeau, Tyson Kozak, Ryan Johnson, Eric Portillo, Devon Levi, UPL.

Now a bunch of these players won't make it but that is most everyone of note. LA, Caroline maybe, Ducks have a good system. We probably have the deepest system but we also just made 22 picks instead of 14 so that kinda makes sense. We will have to see but I would put Buffalo probably at 1, only matters though if Buffalo develops all these players. Good news is the prospects themselves talk about how much contact they get from the Development staff.

To the bolded, unless there has been a recent addition to the development staff, Adams is on record as wanting to add 1 more body there & he also wants to add 1 more scout.  (He'd said the analytics department is set up as they want it to be.)  Which means there will be even more contact between the team & the prospects.

And it is so good to see the Sabres doing what we'd've hoped they'd do under the previous owner - spend a little bit of the billionaires' money in other areas than just spending on player salary (which is capped per the CBA) because they can spend as much as they want in those other areas.  It's the polar opposite of introducing video scouting.  (True, they are saving tons on player salary at present, but really doubt the hockey department will get gutted when Dahlin is making ~$9MM/yr nor that he'll be allowed to walk to maintain an internal cap.)

If the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a freight train, they're setting up the support structure to stay good for a long time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

They aren’t nearly as  smart over there, but 113 people have voted in a 13-team poll about this on HFBoards.

It’s a landslide.

The #2 team (Jersey) has 17 votes. Buffalo has 76.

I used to have an account over there, but too many who thought their opinions were fact, and I gave it up a couple of years ago.   Kind of like a board made up of 1,000 ligers. 😂😂😂

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I used to have an account over there, but too many who thought their opinions  were fact, and I gave it up a couple of years ago.   Kind of like a board made up of 1,000 ligers. 😂😂😂

Same here. Same few people controlling the narrative of every thread. I got out and reported my experience to the board admin. Not sure if they cared or not, but since then,  I see this board seems to be gaining popularity as opposed to their Sabres page shrinking.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@LGR4GM you left off Huglen, Cederqvist and Costantini who have a legit shot at being NHL depth or very good AHL players.  Maybe one will surprise.

Is Huglen the prospect who has had serious back issues in recent years?  Maybe I am mixing him up with someone else?

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Is Huglen the prospect who has had serious back issues in recent years?  Maybe I am mixing him up with someone else?

He is.  Lost 2 years.  By the end of last season he moved up from depth player on the Gophers to key top line player. I’m expecting a big year from him.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I used to have an account over there, but too many who thought their opinions were fact, and I gave it up a couple of years ago.   Kind of like a board made up of 1,000 ligers. 😂😂😂

If you don’t like hfboards DON’T ever check out the hockeybuzz Sabres articles comment sections. The lowest of the low.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.